Should I keep pursuing this or let it go? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Should I keep pursuing this or let it go?

>

MissELA

Should I keep pursuing this or let it go?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So basically I subbed for about 3 weeks (15 days) for a teacher in a school I sub in. P told me about a month ago he wanted to get me emergency cert. The classroom teacher came back the their co-teacher had to take a medical leave and now is not coming back. I've now been subbing for the co-teacher in the same classroom I subbed in previously. I will also be covering for the teacher I previously subbed for next week and into the new year.

Co-teacher's position has been open for a while now and no one has applied. I am not certified in the area that the co-teacher was, but I could be emergency certified as I meet all the hours and requirements. The teacher I am currently subbing for will be back, but right now they are drowning in work without the co-teacher and is trying to see if I can get the cert in order to help with the IEPs and lesson planning. P has been dragging their feet on the emergency cert, so I'm afraid to approach them about it.

Should I ask P about this again or should I let it go? I feel shy about asking

MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

can your co-teacher
Old 12-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

remind the principal about how much work there is and that the IEPs are or soon will be out of compliance with federal laws?

You might say that you are reluctant to ask the prince since you are a sub, but if she feels comfortable bringing it up. . .
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

if you're interested
Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why not assert yourself and just ask? I can understand if you're hesitating for whatever reason like not being the right fit but if you have the confidence and you know you can do the job then approach them with confidence.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Be the squeaky wheel.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Of course you will be professional, but poke your head up and let admin know you are very interested in the job. Rehearse a bit before you meet with admin, and be sure to briefly list the reasons they need to hire you: already been subbing in the classroom, so know the kids, tons of paperwork they need help with, you can get your emergency cert, etc. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If interested I say go for it and talk with the P.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yeah, ask.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The worst they could say is no.

I see it as only a good thing. The principal will then be aware you really love your job and might keep you in mind for future openings.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

MissELA

Old 12-15-2017, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks all. The teacher told me this morning that they are e-mailing the director of the department and cc-ing P. If there isn't a response I will go to them next week and speak with them directly. I know that the simple answer is just go up and ask and the worst P can say is no, but I do definitely have a fear of rejection that I need to get over.

mooba1

Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Thanks all. The teacher told me this morning that they are e-mailing the director of the department and cc-ing P.
Good, maybe you'll hear something definitive very soon. Best wishes, and keep us posted.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sophia981

Old 12-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Absolutely you need to talk to them about this. But before you do that you need to think about how to ask them again.
sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissELA

Old 12-21-2017, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So now I am subbing for the classroom teacher. They were due to be back January 8th, but it is looking like it will a week or two longer. Because I moved up for the classroom teacher to cover for their position, P got another substitute to now cover the co-teacher for the remainder of the days before break and now they said they are covering after the holiday too.

P has been running around all week and is out of the building today. I did talk to P in passing yesterday and they said to keep them posted on the classroom teacher and if they send me any e-mails. They did not mention the e-mail and the SPED director never replied.

What does this mean? I now think I'll be SOL for the co-teacher subbing position and the emergency cert. It seems that P is putting in this substitute, who is not a certified teacher just someone who is interested in subbing for extra money, because they have no interest in the position. I think P, although they didn't tell me this exactly, wants to keep me as a building sub. I'm a good sub and I don't think they want to lose me for daily openings.

Do you think there is any hope left for the emergency cert? I won't be able to talk to P until after break. I am going to relay this information to the classroom teacher and see what happens.

I'm feeling very hurt right now that P could be pushing me out of this co-teacher sub job to not give me the certification. In the meantime I've been applying to grad schools and cert programs as a back up plan to get cert. I've also been applying to other positions. I'm really not sure what to think anymore. I will only know for sure when I talk to P after break.

sophia981

Old 12-21-2017, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you for updating us here. I was thinking of you. Oh well, that happens all the time. I like your back up plan. You should get cert asap while you are young. Good luck!
sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Just a quick thought...
Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You might be reading too much into this...? I'm not sure I'm following everything, but you mentioned the P has been running around, etc. It wouldn't be the first time an administrator just put out one fire and moved on to a different (and perhaps very unrelated) one. So while it might feel like rejection, it might actually be a simple relief that (if I'm following this) you're subbing for the teacher and a sub is in place for the co-teacher.

This is a crazy busy time of the year. One thing you might do is let the P know of your backup plan but mention that you're still interested in the co-teacher position, etc. You can do that by email--most admins I know check email during vacation. I wouldn't assume the worst and I would make sure you stay on the radar. In sales, it's said that the selling doesn't really start until the customer says, "no." In this case, I don't see a "no," but I do see an opportunity to keep the conversation going!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote