Help

Substitute Teachers

Oh man!

>

lovetosub

Oh man!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going from a long-term substitute teaching assignment at a middle school to a long-term a teaching assignment for six grade. The teacher that I am in for requested me. I had forgotten that her classroom management style is much more loosey-goosey than mine. She's a great girl, and I love her, she's a good teacher, but there's no structure in her classroom. Today was my first day and I have to be honest I felt very overwhelmed. I haven't felt overwhelmed in a really long time. I'm usually on my game, I know exactly what to do, and the confidence I exude when I'm in front of the classroom goes a long way to keeping the students in line. These kids, especially my classes at the end of the day, just would not listen. I came home exhausted and frustrated. I went from loving my students in my classes to really dreading going in tomorrow. I hate this.

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Transition
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It will take the students a transition period to adapt to your style of teaching. Go over procedures you want to put in place. There may be a testing period as students try to learn what they can get away with.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with tctrojan... while I would never undermine or compete with a regular teacher, when I'm the sub, they are my kids and it's my classroom. I don't change rules, for example, but I might add some.

On a one day assignment, I won't try to change too much, but the kids know things are going to be different. Interestingly, the older kids will often remember those changes if a return later.

I think you have the right to expect sixth graders to adapt... but you'll have to as well. As we often post here, "Choose your battles." Sixth grade can be tough because the kids are striving for independence and control. But they also are still susceptible to some basic things like need for approval and a willingness to be part of a "team."

Don't lose your confidence. Like a dog, they'll recognize the fear.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote