Substitute Teachers

Question for Special Ed Subs

>

SpecEdSub

SpecEdSub

Question for Special Ed Subs
Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a fairly new substitute teacher in my fifties. I have a condition that prohibits me from lifting disabled children, for example, from the wheelchair to the toilet. I don't want to take a Special Ed assignment in which I will have to refuse to help the teacher lift someone. Can someone share with me which of these Special Ed classes I should avoid because of the lifting issue: Moderate Intellectually Disabled (IQ 35-49), Orthopedically Impaired, Specific Learning Disability, Traumatic Brain Injury, Significant Developmental Delay, Autism Levels 1 and 2. I appreciate any feedback you can give.

SubMan

Old 12-15-2017, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check with the district where you plan to sub.

I sub special education all the time and have never had to do anything physical with a student; lifting them, changing diapers, and so on. Any student that requires this has always had an aide that was specifically trained.

The only special ed classes I try to avoid is emotional support; when a child's reaction to something is way over the top as in their pencil broke now it's World War III.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 12-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have subbed in a few hundred special ed classes and have never be required to physically handle a student in any way.
If the class in moderate to severe, an aide , or usually three, will handle these tasks.

On one occasion, I was left alone with a few M/S students in wheel chairs because the school was short on aides that day.

This is probably illegal, but I did not report them.

I called for an aide from another class to help with the changing.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote
SpecEdSub

SpecEdSub

Thanks for the Feedback
Old 12-16-2017, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My first and only experience that involved lifting was in a spec ed class (I think the kids might have been othopedically impaired) and there were only 3 or 4 kids, the teacher, and one other parapro. I was asked to help transfer a child from wheelchair to toilet a couple of times, so I did help, but made note of the situation. I will call the sub office in my district and ask them what the policy is. I assumed the spec ed teachers and parapros would expect me to help in all areas as needed. I really liked the kids and the teachers in spite of the lifting. And, like you, I have avoided the EBD (Emotional Behavior Disorder in my district) because I am not equipped to handle those children.
SpecEdSub

SpecEdSub

Thanks for the Feedback
Old 12-16-2017, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I plan to call my district sub office and find out exactly what i am required or not required to do in these situations. Yesterday, I took a parapro position in an Autism Level 4 class with kids age 6 to 8. To my surprise, the teacher was going to ask me to care for a little girl with a tremendous temper. The teacher said she was prone to run throughout the school, but was really "very sweet." I was able to witness her behavior. Tell her to stop doing anything in the gentlest tone, and she would fly into a tantrum, and run around the room. It was a resource-type class, so I was expected to take her to other classrooms during the day. Before I could respond, a wise parapro stepped in, and said that she would take care of her. I think the teacher talked the little girl up to get me to take responsibility for her. That is one situation that I don't think any sub parapro should be asked to take on.

spedder1

As a former special ed teacher and now a sub
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Any time you step into any classroom, but especially special ed classrooms, there may be times of physicality. My district does have a sub job description for the self-contained classrooms that includes lifting, daily care (diapering/toileting/feeding), and following classroom structure, routine, etc. As a sub in one of those rooms, you need to be able to carry out the responsibilities that the regular paraprofessionals do. I, as a teacher sub, bad back and all, help with lifting and daily care when there are para shortages and no subs to fill those positions. I just finished a long term in a self-contained classroom and assisted in all of those things.

You might do better subbing in general ed classrooms or for the resource teachers.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sophia981

Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You should talk to your school district and make them understand what you can do and what you cannot do. They will plan for you. Good luck!
sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote