'Twas the week before Christmas break... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

'Twas the week before Christmas break...

>

Subinnc

'Twas the week before Christmas break...
Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to this week at all. I'm subbing all week for a friend who has already apologized several times in advance for the behavior of her students. I'll be dealing with a group of kids who have behavior issues on a "regular" day, adding to that the fact that it's the week before break. This is also a class of kids that I have never subbed for before, so they don't know me and I don't know them. My job is usually made easier by the fact that I mostly sub at one school and the kids all know me (and my standards and expectations) really well, but I haven't been at that school much yet this year due to long terms at other schools.

It's very rare that I actually dread an assignment, but I'm totally dreading this.

Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go in with a trick! I am totally against bribing kids, but I think there are times it is worth while. Gum at the end of the day to the kids who follow directions/listen/behavior is good. Do a point system for the week for students to "earn" some sort of reward (movie/party). It can be simple - have the kids pick 4 things (listening, working quietly, behavior, being kind) and "vote" by raising fingers to show how well they think they did.

I wouldn't want to be a sub the last week. It is hard enough being the regular teacher.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not above bribery the week before break, believe me!! The way their regular teacher describes them, though, I'm afraid even that won't work.

CC96

Blessings of subbing
Old 12-17-2017, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A three week vacationó I took this week off and am off until the 8th.😊🎄
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

I feel ya, Subinnc
Old 12-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At least I know the little turkeys Iíll be dealing with the next 2.5 days. Iím finishing up a long-term, and Wednesday at noon cannot come soon enough.

Iím so sorry you have to deal with these characters for an entire week. May your Christmas miracle come early.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-17-2017, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We're on conference week so at least the day ends at 1:15. Two more days and I am headed out of town for some fun with the family!
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Keeping a sense of humor...
Old 12-18-2017, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a particularly challenging day in second grade recently. I was called in mid-day due to an "emergency" and didn't realize until I was with the kids:
  • this is an especially challenging class with at least 3-4 "high maintenance" kids
  • it was two weeks until Christmas
  • the kids were on their third day with a sub
  • it was Friday afternoon
  • my lesson plans were written on yellow sticky notes
  • the moon was full.
Fortunately, I didn't have time to dread the assignment. Did I mention that during recess a kindergartener pooped himself? (I only found out while tying his shoe and commenting on the amount of mud he had on his leg.)

Also, fortunately, I had no place to go after school other than home where there were adult beverages and peace on earth.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-18-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Did I mention that during recess a kindergartener pooped himself? (I only found out while tying his shoe and commenting on the amount of mud he had on his leg.)
Not much to do in that situation but find the humor. You can retell that story for years to come, and regale your non-teacher friends with adventures they can only dream of.

Quote:
Also, fortunately, I had no place to go after school other than home where there were adult beverages and peace on earth.
'Zactly.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I was supposed to
Old 12-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was supposed to train a new teacher in a self-contained special ed classroom M-W. That job got postponed until after break. I quickly made myself unavailable to sub the rest of the week. There is no way I would purposely do that to myself. I admit I have subbed during the week before winter and spring breaks. Not my favorite, and if a friend called me I probably would. However, I'm planning on taking it easy this week.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sophia981

Old 12-19-2017, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like this idea! It should work!!

sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Update :)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Half day left...early release tomorrow. I've almost made it, and... It hasn't been nearly the miserable experience that my friend had prepared me for!!!! It's been a pleasant surprise. They're certainly not angels, but they definitely aren't any worse than any other classes I've ever taught the week before a break!!

Thankfully, lol.