Substitute Teachers

lunch time?

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

lunch time?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious and this topic's probably been covered but how do you all spend your time at lunch? I know of substitute teachers that stay inside the classroom all day or spend part of that day in there and in a staff room. Others do their duty. Can some of you afford to go elsewhere like outside the school?

mooba1

Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Normally, I review plans for the rest of the day while also enjoying my lunch in the peace and quiet. Eating off-campus not an option unless you have a conference period right before or right after lunch. Even at that, still have to take/pick up kids from specials, so hardly worth it to leave campus for fast food.

ETA: I avoid the lounge. The people are very nice, but I like to have my quiet time. Not only that, but it keeps me out of the gossip.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We either go to our classrooms or eat in the cafeteria. Lunch is only 20 minutes. There's no way to go out for lunch or to really even go back to the room and get much time by the time you walk the kids to lunch and get them through the line.

We don't have a lounge.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-27-2017, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'll go to the lounge if I need to use the microwave or if I'm familiar with the teachers, aides, or other subs. Rarely, I'll eat at a table by myself. Otherwise, I'll stay in the room. There is not enough time to go off campus to pick up lunch.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

95% of the time I work in middle school and in our district, teachers have to eat with the kids. The teachers all sit at one table.

At the beginning of the year this year, I did a long term in an unfamiliar elementary school. Most teachers ate in the lounge right across from the cafeteria, so that's what I did. It wasn't necessarily my preference but walking back to the classroom and then walking back to the cafe to pick the kids up would have taken more time than it was worth. Plus, it was nice to get myself out of the classroom for that 20 minutes a day.

In general, I would not feel comfortable walking into a "teacher's lounge" and eating lunch with a group of teachers I didn't know. That may seem silly, and it's not that I've ever had a bad experience or not been made to feel welcome, I'm just an introvert for most intents and purposes. I'd rather eat alone than with a group of total strangers.

Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

My choice... not saying it needs to be others
Old 12-28-2017, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our lunch breaks tend to be short... With the younger kids, taking them to lunch and picking them up shortens the break. I'm not a lunch eater so I tend to stay active and available--a lot depends on the grade and kind of day we're having. Some of my choices:
  • Hang out with the kids in the cafeteria
  • Stay in the classroom and get some prep time
  • Follow up on things such as nurse visits the kids had
  • Offer to help another neighboring teacher or give a break
  • Get help from a neighboring teacher with a lesson plan item
  • Start writing my sub report
Call me a control freak, but I'd prefer not to be off the property or readily available. We had a fire drill once during "my" lunch... and the kids seemed quite relieved when I found them outside even though I wasn't "technically" responsible for them.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I prefer to eat in the classroom. I need the 20 minutes of quiet time and time to look over the plan for the afternoon. If there is technology in the afternoon I prefer to give it a dry run because every teacher has their computer set up differently. I also have a few schools that all the teachers eat in their rooms either as individuals or teams. No one wants to be near the office for various reasons.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Depends
Old 12-28-2017, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If I am at the school where I taught until I retired, I go to the staff room for at least part of lunch. I stay in the classroom in other buildings.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 12-31-2017, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I prefer the solitude of the classroom. Honestly, after some classes it feels like bliss. Sometimes teachers will invite me to eat with them, but I'm a shy person and it feels super awkward eating with people who all know one another and don't know what to say to you, the only man.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

I go to staff lounge, but sit alone
Old 01-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I go to the staff lounge during lunch for a change of scenary, but prefer to sit alone. I try not to talk too much because I am always afraid of saying something that is taken the wrong way due to the ridiculous poltical correct crap. We now live in a world in which we have to be careful how to communicate with co-workers. Even complimenting someone's outfit can be seen as sexual harrassment the way this society is going. So, I just sit in silence, but will converse with other subs if they happen to be there too.

In one of my schools, they have Block Schedules with at least an hour off for lunch and we can leave at will during that time (just like the Seniors), but always worried about running into a car emergency and not able to make it back on time. Plus, it is cheaper to just bring my own lunch.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

40 min
Old 01-02-2018, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We get 40 min and have various places literally right around the corner from our school that we can go to get lunch (deli, subway, pizza, chinese, sushi, etc). I am in a group chat with some of the teachers and if someone goes out the person will usually text the group and ask if we want anything. We usually bring the food back and eat in someones empty classroom or in the lounge.A few of us have lunch the same period on Fridays so we made that Pizza Friday. My favorite time of the day

Monday though Thursday I like to bring my lunch and usually eat it in my classroom if it is free. It is just easier for me to do so.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I eat in the classroom. The teachers are almost always friendly to me, but it does feel awkward and sometimes they talk in "code" to discuss something private in my presence. That feels weird. Also, I love that 30 minutes to myself with the lights off. I live close enough that sometimes I even run home on days when I'm the "roving sub" and I have a big enough gap between coverages. One benefit of subbing is not dealing with anybody's drama, so this helps.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I prefer the solitude of the classroom. Honestly, after some classes it feels like bliss. Sometimes teachers will invite me to eat with them, but I'm a shy person and it feels super awkward eating with people who all know one another and don't know what to say to you, the only man.
I too am often the only male there. Usually I just sit and eat my lunch quietly and leave when I am done to get ready for the afternoon. Often the conversations are... interesting.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Lunch
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I sub at the school where I taught for 34 years. I知 retired now and I love to sub.

I know everyone and introduce myself to the subs who are new to me.

I also grade papers and if I知 doing that I might work through lunch.

Otherwise I go to the lounge. My preference is to sub at the MS...it is so easy.
Two science teachers ( one a female, one a male), one art teacher, two social studies teachers ( one a male, one a female ), one reading teacher, and one Language Arts teacher. I taught with three of them and have known the rest for a few years. We do discuss students as in trying to see if someone has had a light bulb moment. I have usually taught the parents, the siblings, or cousins so I am accepted as a teacher but the kids.

It is a small district in a small town. There is a store with excellent sandwiches next door to the school and in a few blocks, you can go to a Sonic, a pizza place, and a diner. Fourth grade teachers go to the Pizza place every Friday. I go if I知 either subbing or volunteering there.

I知 quietly outgoing so I壇 go where the teachers were eating even if I didn稚 know the.

I知 the oldest with a younger mind, but am known for my teaching ability so I just fit I . Yesterday I talked their ears off. I apologized because we had a chilly, chilly week or so where I never left the house for a week.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

Catch up
Old 01-22-2018, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have used my lunch time as catch up time. I know others that will answer parent emails during that time. It is nice on occasion to just enjoy my lunch without work, but that is difficult to do while still in the environment. I don't think it is worth stepping outside for lunch unless you are local to a place to eat, which we are not.
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I've never eaten in the lounge. I'd rather just eat alone, prepare for the rest of the day and begin my notes for the teacher
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote