Help

Classroom Management

No Smiling Until Christmas

>

Love-Teach

No Smiling Until Christmas
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone who's been in the classroom knows that establishing expectations right from the get-go is extremely important. A teacher friend of mine jokingly mentioned something that I've heard before but I don't believe anyone actually does and that's "No Smiling Until Christmas."

I honestly can say that even on the worst of days, it would be impossible for me not to smile at least once every hour.

I can honestly say that I don't usually have a problem with establishing who's in charge. I'm the only male classroom teacher in my school and for the majority of students I am their first experience with a male teacher in the classroom so I believe it's safe to say that most of my kiddos are a little intimidated at the beginning of the year until they get to know me which is understandable. A 6'3" tall man is a giant to most elementary age kids. It doesn't take long for them to warm up to me, then my personal space doesn't exist anymore! :-)

Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

smiling
Old 01-15-2018, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never fully understood that philosophy of not smiling before Christmas. I often think about what type of Principal I'd want and I wouldn't want one that seems "mean", which is what no smiling means to me. I'd want one who is firm yet loving and fair and doesn't let others ruin it for the rest of us. I try to do the same thing with my own students. Being "matter of fact" about rules is a huge help in my classroom.

I think setting ground rules and sticking to them is way more effective than looking like a grinch. In your case, being a 6'3" male is definitely a perk!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote