Help

Classroom Management

Loud Class

>

Gigi814

Loud Class
Old 09-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The class I have this year never stops talking. It can become very loud, especially in the afternoon. I do quite a few things to manage behavior, but it's not working with this class. Any suggestions on what works with students who talk nonstop?

Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sophianna

Talking Talking...
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had that class just last year. Fifth graders for me, but I've also had a similar class in Kindergarten. One thing that frustrates me but I still believe works is waiting. Waiting is annoying and sometimes takes the entire class period to start, but eventually it works. You just have to commit to it. WAIT until everyone stops talking. Don't excuse one or two kids, because they will never stop until you wait them out. For me it took about four weeks with the fifth graders to really get it, and we "wasted" a lot of time. That time was made up in the weeks that followed though b/c our productivity increased!

Something I used in Kindergarten was a red and green piece of paper back to back. I'd flip it over to red when it was my turn, green when it was theirs. (For example, during work stations, they were allowed to talk. So it was on green at that time.)

Obviously, building in talk time to your lessons is a good way to help with this.

Overall, be consistent in whatever you choose. Good luck!!
Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote

anxietyridden

Old 10-13-2018, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry i can't help much, but I'm in the same boat. I teach middle school. Like you, I've been doing everything that looks great on paper, all the things admin and classroom management courses tell teachers to do, and nothing is working. For me, kids are getting worse now it's October, and now some of the "good" kids are copping quiet attitudes towards me when I try to manage the class. What year of teaching are you in?
anxietyridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Azanii

Azanii

re: loud class
Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Once students are very loud, you will have to take extreme measures to get them to stop being noisy. You’ll find it easier if you begin to control noise levels as soon as class begins. You should not try to assume control of a noisy class without enlisting the cooperation of your students. Be consistent in enforcing the noise levels that you expect from your students. Set reasonable limits and stick to them if you want students to learn how to manage their own noise. Also, since they get more noisy in the afternoons which maybe because of the afternoon heat, so as a teacher you could take them outside to see if any changes will occur, if not you would have to enforce some disciplinary methods.

EatPrayLove

Old 11-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a built in wellness break (extra recess), and after I am done counting down for them to be transitioned and listening and ready to learn, i start counting up. When I count up, those seconds get taken out of their wellness break. The quiet kids have a job: to help the others get quiet and show THIER problem-solving investment by putting their fingers to their lips and trying to help their peers hustle up.

EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote