Help

Math & Science

Human Body

>

GreyhoundGirl

Human Body
Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am beginning to plan the human body (5th grade) and it's overwhelming. I know I want them to do an outline of their body and add as we learn and I have the materials I got from Donor's Choose, but I am sort of lost as where to start, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA-
GG

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Not much help, but...
Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This won't help you now, but one of my favorite science projects was in 5th grade. We had to make a diagram of the human body using something (candy, jello, etc). I used dog food and dog treats. I still remember it and how much fun it was.

To get started, what about focusing on each system. Circulatory system, digestive system, etc.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congrats on getting your DonorsChoose request fulfilled!

I agree that starting out with the body's systems is a good idea. My 3rd graders are currently finishing up their projects on the human body and its systems. A great online video (and other sources) you might want to start with:

http://kidshealth.org/kid/htbw/htbw_main_page.html

Your students could use the informaton from the above videos to present their particular system to the class. Or, maybe they could do a Readers' Theatre format to show how the organs work together, along with a bit of advice how to keep that system or organ healthy.

My students were divided up into system teams...researched more information and created a lovely class book, The Important Book on the systems and various organs. The book was based on the writing frame of The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown.

It can be overwhelming, but I decided to keep it simple.

Have fun!

LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

careerchanger

Physical Development and Health
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I discovered this Illinois Education Standard (http://www.isbe.state.il.us/ils/pdh/pdf/goal23.pdf) though another post here. In my experience, physical development instruction at this age where students are approaching or entering puberty tends to be brief and focused on sexual development. While most are aware of acne and hair and voice changes, understanding of muscle and bone changes is lacking. Brain changes are becoming clearer, but are seldom known to those experiencing them. Please note that my comments are based on observation of 6th grade science instruction and the 3rd through 8th grade students I have instructed in math and reading.
careerchanger is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsteach

Human Body
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also teach 5th Science. I start with a unit on cells and the life processes they perform. The students can connect those life processes as we move through the digestive, respiratory, circulatory, and excretory systems. We do a lot of hands-on lessons. The students make models of each system (eg. kidney bean kidneys, spaghetti ureters, marshmallow bladder, straw urethra). After they learned the respiratory system, they had to present news reports about a respiratory illness. Your whole body outline is great because students will get to see how all the systems interact.

mrsteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much for the great ideas!
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

joeamymom

Joe and Amy's Mom
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 6th grade Science in a Middle School setting and we cover several systems of the Human Body in our Life Science section. I start with a hierarchy of cells work together to make tissues, tissues work together to make organs..... I then like to pick a part of the body, like the baby toe, and ask the kids, "Why does your baby toe need the _____ system?" We then investigate the system and find out why. For instance, Why does the baby toe need the respiratory system? We figure out that it is made of cells which need oxygen and since I don't breath with my feet I need to get it somehow. We connect everything with the circulatory system as it brings all the goodies and badies around. I find that making it funny like the ,baby toe, they tend to remember it. Hope this helps.
Nancy
joeamymom is offline   Reply With Quote