Help

First Grade

Teacher, Now what do I do?

>

aboes

Teacher, Now what do I do?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year in first grade. Could anyone share some ideas as to activities you have speedy finishers do? I'm using the computers , (but I only have 5), big floor puzzles and finishing other work. I don't want to necessarily give more busy work, but some meaningful, fun activites they can move to independently. Thank you in advance

aboes is offline   Reply With Quote

BeachLover8

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes! I am new to first grade as well and I have a few early finishers...I want to make sure they are still engaged while not disrupting the students that are still working...I look forward to hearing any suggestions also!
BeachLover8 is offline   Reply With Quote

hugsandkisses

Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my second year of teaching first grade. What I have my speedy finishers do is color a picture or take out a book and read quietly. I'm still looking for new ideas as well.
hugsandkisses is offline   Reply With Quote

wiscombefirst

early finishers
Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students who finish before their peers are allowed to do several things: chart folders (check it out on teachertipster dot com), read from their book boxes, or write. Most of my kids are loving the chart folders. This is a small 3 ring binder with several different activities in sheet protectors that the kids can practice reading or copying using dry erase markers.
wiscombefirst is offline   Reply With Quote

3and24

Funny!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was going to post the same question tonight! I have a few kids this year that finish so quickly.....and was looking for similar activities. Thanks for asking!

3and24 is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee1

Teacher tipster
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Go to you tube and search teacher tipster. I would suggest the chart folders and pizza pages videos. You can also search here on pt for brain bubbles. I haven't made these yet but they sound great!
busybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

skittles1108

Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I start the year by giving students a folder with extra work that has some fun activities that they can do by themselves- hidden picture, color by number, word search. As the year goes on and they become more independent they get more options....

We also do spelling task cards- they can choose a card and do an activity with their spelling words (either from that week or previous weeks). They can do rainbow words(write the words in different colors), put the words in ABC order, write a sentence with each word, draw a picture to go with each word, make their own word search with the words (this is more difficult and takes lots of practice).

They have their sight words printed on stock paper and can quietly play a matching game with a partner.

I have small letter tiles that students can use to practice words.

All of these things come with time, but I would get them started with a folder of work just to get them in the habit of doing something else when they're done rather than coming to you and then you can slowly introduce other options. Good luck!!
skittles1108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Pocket Chart
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a pocket chart that says. WHAT DO I DO WHEN I'M DONE?
On sentence strips I have items such as.
Read in your book box
Write in your journal
Go on the Computer
Work on Accelerated Math
Work on Accelerated Reading
Draw on scrap paper
Practice your spelling words
Work on you math fact flash cards.
Read with a partner.etc.

I pull the strip if I do not want them to do something. I may only have one choice if we don't have a lot of time. They like having the choice. I like having the choice of limiting their choices at times.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use most of the activities already listed. Students also have chores, and when they are finished with work they can quickly do their chore (chores range from 1-3 minutes tops). My biggest suggestion is to make sure the extra, after-work is not too fun, otherwise the students will rush through their work just to get to a more fun activity. You want it to be interesting yet still challenging in some way that engages their mind. Good luck searching for activities, and good luck in your first year of teaching!
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher1st!

finished activities
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my class they can: Read books from book bins, write in journal, build words (I put up a pocket chart with letters and they try to make as many words as they can in their notebooks using those letters) and they have a blue folder with morning work or other activities they have gotten that they are still working on- word searches, color by numbers, etc. Also computers and this year my school will begin AR so once that is up and running they will be able to test on the computers.

teacher1st! is offline   Reply With Quote

Whipple5

chart folders
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love teacher tipster's chart folder idea. I have put a similar type of folder together but am wondering if anyone has copies of the charts he might be talking about in his video. If not his, what do you put in yours if you use them? Thanks for the help!!
Whipple5 is offline   Reply With Quote

patschmidt

look on his website
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

He has a tab for printables... I think most of his charts are there... I am thinking of doing these also but I am wondering if everychild needs a binder or could I get away with doing about 10 ( I have 20 students) and put them in a place where they could go and get one when needed. I really don't think we have room in our desks for anything else.
patschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote