Help

Second Grade

Any Texas teachers?

>

reading4ever

Any Texas teachers?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you feel about us not going to Common Core? Do you ever feel left out of national dialogue about teaching? I am really frustrated about the whole thing sometimes. Do any of you just use Common Core anyway?

Heidi

reading4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

heidi
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish Texas had gone Common Core. I think the rest of the nation will get the best publishing opportunities since we are different. Our district uses Invesigations Math for our math program, and our district went ahead and bought the common core update on the Investigations.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nothing I have seen published by textbook companies have been worth two hoots. I wish common core would go away. It is still so subjective as to what the authors meant by each standard. It needs a companion document. There is way to much room for interpretation. Plus, I don't like everything to be the same in our world.
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

reading4ever

Interesting
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that your district bought the Common Core updates...

I don't like that we are just different. I don't like that the rest of the country is on the same page and we are just out there. I like the idea that if a kiddo moves in from Ohio or something we would be sort of on the same page. I just don't understand why we are not buying in.

I have not looked much into the publications...

Heidi
reading4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Is Common Core the curriculum for Race to The Top States? I think Texas didn't opt for Common Core because it was tied too much to our evaluation. In other words, our evaluation would be tied to our students' scores. The better their scores, the better our evaluation.

Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

VaSpud

not here either
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Virginia is not using common core. Doesn't seem to bother any of the teachers I talk with. We have our own standards and our textbooks are printed for our SOL's.
VaSpud is offline   Reply With Quote

janne

Texas here...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

From the standpoint of everyone being on the same page---I wish we had gone with it.... I have taught overseas and then in the US, and most of my children are from highly mobile families. My class turn around is about 1/2 by the middle of the year. When I worked for Department of Defense Schools, and I had a student come from one of their schools, then I knew what they have had. However, when they came from other states and such...there were gaps. From this point of view it would be good knowing that when a child moved from Nevada and then to wherever, you know what they have had because the standards were the same. For now, I just know that if they move within the district I know what they have had, however, if they come from somewhere else, it is the luck of the draw. I don't know much about the standards/expectations within the Common Core. But, I do like the thought of everyone being on the same page....definitely helps with highly mobile families...Just my thoughts.
janne is offline   Reply With Quote