Help

Kindergarten

First time using clip chart in classroom...need advice

>

blessedtotch

First time using clip chart in classroom...need advice
Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have heard about how wonderful the clip charts are for behavior management and am going to be using one this year in my classroom. What I am still trying to figure out though is what to do about rewards. I have noticed that some teachers give points, stamps, etc. if students move up from "ready to learn." They can then get a tangible reward for accumulating these points, tickets, etc. I have also seen where they add "bling" to the clip if they make it to the top and then after they earn a certain amount of bling they get a reward. What has worked for you? My head is spinning trying to pick something that won't be too time consuming but will still incentivize the kids. I would love to hear what those of you who use these systems do.

Thank you!

blessedtotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've only used a chart that clipped down. And I didn't really liked it so I stopped using one a few years ago. Now I do something that kind of equals to clipping up, and when they get a certain amount they get a trip to the treasure box (only because every time I clean out my kid's rooms I come up with a ton of "treasures" - I will stop doing a treasure box when that resource is gone!). It's easy, but I really only use it when I'm trying to reinforce a specific behavior.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Clip charts are AWFUL!! I stopped using them 3 years ago, and the behaviors in my classroom have gotten SO MUCH BETTER! It is no one's business who is a problem child. THEY DON'T WORK! The student who is always on red will NOT change his/her behavior because they are on red, they will just become "the bad boy/girl to everyone else in the classroom forever!! I moved to Conscious Discipline by Becky Bailey, and my class runs SO MUCH smoother! She's not even the only one, though! Check out Responsive Classroom, or PBIS model of behavior..so much better than behavior charts!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I used a clip chart, I was hoping for kids to be proud of a job well done. That was the only reward I gave.

However, I did stop using a chart. I found that a few parents would put too much weight on "What color were you on today." I had one parent have consequences at home for a child changing his color. It was too much. I had parents ask if any other kids moved colors ect. (Not their business)

My DS had a (wonderful) teacher who would move him down immediately for a small infraction. It would keep him on his toes all day. If you knew DS, you would know this works. However, if I did not know her strategy (and we laughed about it) it would be misconstrued by some parents. Also, he was OK with this. Some kids would be mortified to be on yellow and they would internalize it too much.

I did like giving the kids the chance to move up and down through the day.

Just some things to think about.
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Clip Chart
Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love my clip chart. Everyone starts on Ready to Learn. There is one category on top which is Outstanding and below Ready to Learn is Warning, Consequence, and Office/Parent Contact. Students who end the day on Outstanding get to fill out a Star Student Award which is part of our school's PBIS system. If a student ends on Parent Contact, they take a sad note home which needs to be signed by the parent and returned the next day. I do not send home info to parents each day about where the child's clip was and I do not spend all day moving clips around. It is mainly there as backup.

One of my only issues with it is that children can't see their names on the clips from across the room. I like to just be able to move clips without calling the child out or interrupting the lesson when I am teaching. That becomes hard to do when they can't see whose clip I am moving. I also wish when I had made the clip chart that I had put a "great choices" category between ready to learn and outstanding. I've thought about making a new one for the upcoming year, but I don't want to waste my ink

LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Teacher#1

Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also love my clipchart and it works pretty well. I think one of the reasons it works well is because it is just one of the tools I use for behavior management. I have a couple of behavior management systems in place. Also, having solid procedures set with a positive relationship with the students helps with behavior problems.

Last edited by Ms. Teacher#1; 07-29-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Ms. Teacher#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

blessedtotch

Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for all of your input. What I like about the clip chart is that it rewards positive behavior by giving students the ability to clip up several times for making good choices but it still gives a consequences for making poor choices. It sounds like most of the people who use it find it helpful. I'm hoping it will be successful this year as I felt the old system I was using, while being effective, did not do as much on a daily basis to recognize the good choices being made. Thanks again!
blessedtotch is offline   Reply With Quote