Itís September! Whatís Everyone Been Reading? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís September! Whatís Everyone Been Reading?

>

trasie

Itís September! Whatís Everyone Been Reading?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Time to share!

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 09-01-2019, 09:30 AM

I just finished two historical novels The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg and The Girl Who Wrote in Silk by Kelli Estes. Both were great reads. The first was set in Sweden, France, and the US. The other set in the Northwest--Seattle and Orcas Island.
Lynnteach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-01-2019, 09:39 AM

I’m currently reading two books:

A Secret Gift by Ted Gup. It’s the story of one man’s generosity during the Great Depression to families within his community struggling to survive. It was all done anonymously. The man’s grandson, over 70 years later, discovers the letters his grandfather received from the people in an old suitcase that had belonged to him. Gup begins an investigative journey to find out about his grandfather’s past and what led him to become a benefactor to others. He even connects with some of the children of the families his grandfather helped.

The Radium Girls: A Dark Story of America’s Shining Women by Kate Moore. It's the true story of the young women who worked as dial painters during WWI in radium-dial painting factories. The book describes the horrible side effects these young women suffered from radium poisoning, their painful deaths, the cover-up by the men who ran the factories, and the great lengths the women had to go to get the smallest amount of justice.

I highly recommend both books.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-01-2019, 10:23 AM

I am just finishing The Silent Patient. It is about a woman who murders her husband and then never speaks again and the psychotherapist who works with her to uncover what really happened to her husband.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

August
Old 09-01-2019, 10:25 AM

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
Historical Fiction
Eighty-nine year-old narrator, Vivian tells her life story of pre-WWII forward to Angela, the daughter of the man she “truly loved”. Sexploits from Vivan’s younger days abound as she comes of age and comfortably accepts her chosen lifestyle as the story evolves. Short on action this well-crafted story kept me involved through the complications and emotions Vivian experienced.****

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
Historical Fiction
The story of Cussy Mary Carter (nicknamed Bluet) one of the Appalachian blue people and the 1930’s Kentucky Pack Horse Library WPA Project. With themes of domestic abuse, racism, poverty, this was an emotional but excellent read, and sent me to do the computer to do more research. Everyone in my book club loved it!*****

Crisis in the Red Zone by Richard Preston
Medical Nonfiction
Fascinating nonfiction about the most recent Ebola outbreak and how it became an international crisis. It will have you wondering about the future of crossover viruses and washing your hands constantly!*****

Currently reading Keeping Lucy by T. Greenwood
Historical Fiction
This book will tug at your heartstrings! When infant Lucy was born in 1969 with Down Syndrome it was common practice to institutionalize. This has some relevance to my family history, so I’ve found myself involved since page one.
I’m about 50% through but loving it.
Another book I’ve been recommending by this same author is Rust and Stardust.

ZipLine

Trasie
Old 09-01-2019, 10:28 AM

I finished The Hot Zone by Richard Preston in August. Great book!

trasie

Zipline
Old 09-01-2019, 10:31 AM

Now you really need to read Crisis in the Red Zone. I read it in two days. Seriously! It’s good to be informed about what the future could bring. The book is well-written, informative, and really makes you think.

ZipLine

Old 09-01-2019, 10:32 AM

Wow! Iím putting it on my list!

twinmom95

Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 AM

It's tough fitting in much reading this time of year just getting back to school. I have been listening to the audio book The Chain on my walks. I've been listening to it a good amount today as I just do some small things around the house and hang out on my porch.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-01-2019, 10:50 AM

I’ve been reading lots of mysteries lately. My 2 favorite authors at the moment are:

Jo Nesbo I love his Harry Hole (pronounced hoo-lah) series. I’m reading them in any order I can get at the library. Tough, flawed, and kind Harry is my kind of detective. And I’ve learned a lot about Norway.

Alafair Burke writes great contemporary crime drama—thanks to DrGraceKrispy for turning me onto her novels. Also available at the library.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-01-2019, 10:57 AM

I just finished Lost Roses. Itís a prequel to Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. Historical fiction based on real people. It takes place during World War I.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 09-01-2019, 11:06 AM

After reading about it here, I just finished BABY TEETH. Held my interest and kept me wondering what would happen next!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

yrutching

Favorite August books
Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 AM

My two favorite books this month were The Lake House by Kate Morton and The Wedding Gift by Marlin Suyapa Bodden. Both were historical fiction, hard to put down, and had nice neat endings with a twist.
yrutching is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-01-2019, 11:49 AM

Currently reading: Look at Me by Jennifer Egan I'm about halfway through and I'm finding it very interesting. I have no idea where it's all going.

The Other Americans by Laila Lalami I was expecting a lot more from this one. I thought the plot was cliched and predictable and all the characters spoke with the same voice. It was only 300 pages or so but it took a long time to read because I never became very interested.

The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels by Dan Hampton This isn't the type of book I typically read but I recently found out that my father was a second generation Wild Weasel pilot - those insanely courageous pilots who deliberately flew into the range of surface-to-air missiles in order to bait them into targeting them with radar and then tracked the radar back to the missile installation. They had a 50% casualty rate. My father was one of the lucky ones if you can say that it was lucky to spend 6 years in a POW camp.

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo I enjoyed this - the protagonist was interesting.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Ahhh, my favourite thread of the month! I read the following:

California Girls by Susan Mallery. It was only okay.

Pride, Prejudice and Other Flavors by Sonali Dev. Fun, easy read.

Tower of Dawn by Sarah J Maas. This is the sixth in a series of seven and so far, the best one.

Half of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. This was very dense and I could only read about 10 pages at a time before getting bogged down. The rest of my Book Club loved it but I had to return it to the library.

Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage. This was recommended by a few people here. I found it page turning but pretty disturbing.

Her Nightly Embrace by Adi Tantinedh. A novel in the form of a series of loosely connected short stories, not bad. I'm not sure I want to read the next one but maybe in a few months.

I'm currently reading The Verdun Affair by Nick Dybek. It's set in France, post WW1. So far, so good.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Douglas Brinkley
Old 09-01-2019, 01:19 PM

American Moonshot by Douglas Brinkley. This one has taken me a long time. It's the story of the space race told through the prism of JFK's presidency. It's interesting.

I'm listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince again. I don't know what it is about the Harry Potter books but I listen right before bed and drift right off to sleep.

I still haven't gotten to the Dr. Seuss biography Becoming Dr. Seuss and I haven't finished Emma by Alexander McCall Smith. I was keeping it in the car to read at in the waiting rooms of my various doctors.

I have two audible credits to use and I'm looking for suggestions.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-01-2019, 01:26 PM

GreenBunny, I am one of the posters who recommended Baby Teeth. I agree it was disturbing, in fact, when I recommended it, I called it creepy.

Tori, Iím so sad you disliked The Other Americans. I hate it when I recommend a book and the reader doesnít find the joy I did. I know weíre all different, but I feel guilty for recommending what was a stinker to you. Sorry, really.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Another vote for the creepy Baby Teeth (thanks Amiga!)

Also read What the Wind Knows: great historical/time travel book (think Outlanders) that was beautifully written!

Where the Forest Meets the Stars Another great read about a scientist who discovers a young seemingly homeless girl in the woods near her home, and how she tries to help the girl whom she begins to care for
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

trasie

Tori58
Old 09-01-2019, 02:06 PM

You read the first in Linda Castillo’s Kate Burkholder series! Last month I read the eleventh Shamed and loved it. It was so good that I put all the rest of them on my tbr. Now I’m even more eager to get into them!

Tori58

Old 09-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Tori, Iím so sad you disliked The Other Americans. I hate it when I recommend a book and the reader doesnít find the joy I did. I know weíre all different, but I feel guilty for recommending what was a stinker to you. Sorry, really.
No problem. I had heard good things about Lalami from other sources and lots of people on Goodreads really liked it, too.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 09-01-2019, 02:21 PM

I read The Radium Girls (as ZipLine mentioned) and it was fascinating. Never knew that any of that had taken place.

I also just finished Verity by Colleen Hoover and loved it. It was addicting, disturbing, and creepy.

Now I'm reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (same author of Daisy Jones and the Six). It's about a young journalist who has been asked to write a biography about a very glamorous Elizabeth Taylor-type movie star. I'm really enjoying it so far.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

books
Old 09-01-2019, 03:42 PM

I read The Other Americans and enjoyed it. Glad we all have different opinions or I'd never get to read so many wonderful books that are recommended here. I also read Her Daughter's Mother which I believe someone here mentioned last month. I am very excited to be starting the latest Louise Penny novel, A Better Man!
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-01-2019, 03:42 PM

I just finished A Dangerous Crossing by Rachel Rhys which I really enjoyed. Before that, I read another book by her, Fatal Inheritance, which I also liked. I recommend both!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I read
Old 09-01-2019, 06:30 PM

The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs. It is a non-fiction book about Robert who lived in Newark and went to Yale. It was published in 2015. It was initially hard to get into but was a good read. I wish things had gone differently for him. He was a brilliant person who seemed genuine and caring about others.

I also read The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg which was a good read.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Just finished
Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 PM

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. Loved it.
rana712 is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

books
Old 09-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Fiction: Where the Crawdads Sing. Nicely written with an unexpected ending.

Non-fiction: 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari (author of one of my NF favorite books, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind)
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 09-01-2019, 08:19 PM

I read and enjoyed The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell. I have liked all of her books.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-01-2019, 08:24 PM

I just finished The Dry by Jane Harper. I don't always love mysteries but it was pretty good.

I reread Where'd You Go, Bernadette because I had a movie date with some friends. I had forgotten how funny it is!

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt is also going to be a movie - I didn't love it but it was good.

Us Against You by Fredrik Backman is a sequel to Beartown, although it could be a stand alone novel.. I suggest Beartown first.

The Mistress of the Ritz by Melanie Benjamin is based on a true story, set in Paris during WW2. A different perspective than many WW2 stories.

Daisy Jones & The Six was quite different but I really liked it. It really feels like you're reading about a real band.

In between books I'm reading The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon to get ready for season 5 of Outlander (can't wait!).
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Old 09-02-2019, 01:38 AM

I just reread The Other Boleyn Girl. I loved it just as much as I did when I first read it 10-12 years ago.

W is for Wasted was my least favorite of the ABC series, but I still love Kinsey Millhone!

I am over half way done with The Clockmakerís Daughter. This is my first Kate Morton book. It is slightly confusing, but I am really enjoying it. The reviews werenít great, but I think it may be because her other books are even better. Her writing is so beautiful. I wil definitely read more of her books.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 09-02-2019, 06:32 AM

Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson. I really liked it. A page turner.
Home for Erring and OutCast Girlsby Julie Kibler. This is her 2nd book. Her first book was Calling Me Home which I loved. I liked this book as well. It is based on true events based in Austin, Texas.

Amiga, I have The Snowman by Joe Nesbo waiting to be read right now. Thanks for the recommendation!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Eccj
Old 09-02-2019, 07:13 AM

If you're enjoying the Kate Morton book, I highly recommend The Secret Keeper. That is my favorite book by her. I did not love the Clockmaker's Daughter. I was listening to it and really struggled to keep the characters straight. Maybe I should try again, but read instead of listen to it.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 AM

We Need to Talk About Kevin, I am not all that into it but will finish it just because. It's about a boy who shot his classmates, teacher, and a lunch worker.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Just started The Beekeeper of Aleppo. I didn't think I'd like it very much (because sad ☹️) but so far it's keeping my interest.

WacSingLof

Old 09-02-2019, 08:58 AM

I have read quite a few books last month but the ones I liked are:
The beekeeper of Aleppo, by Christie Lefteri
The stationary shop by Marjan Kamali.
The first one follows a family from Syria to Great Britain, the second s one starts in Iran. Fiction but both make you think about current issues...

I've just started Markus Zusac' last book and am enjoying it a lot: i am the messenger.
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Asam
Old 09-02-2019, 01:47 PM

Thank you! I will definitely read it sometime. I think The Clockmakerís Daughter may be a book I will read twice. I love her writing, but it is so confusing. There are so many different generations of characters and I guess she thought we would notice ďChapter OneĒ is different from ďIĒ. She switches back from written chapter headings to Roman numeral, so I assumed we were going from Elodie to the past. The only problem is that there are even different pasts. So confusing!
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

dawnmei
Old 09-02-2019, 02:33 PM

I recommended Her Daughter’s Mother last month. How did you like it? It was Daniela Petrova’s debut novel.

annie_g

Old 09-02-2019, 08:00 PM

Just finished The Beekeeper of Aleppo. I read it in one day! It's so good, but sad. It really makes you see and feel what refugees experience. The author was a volunteer for UNESCO and her descriptions really ring true. I really recommend this book!

dawnmei

trasie
Old 09-04-2019, 02:43 PM

I thought Her Mother's Daughter was definitely a modern problem! Kept me engaged and there were a few twists along the way.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote