Help

Substitute Teachers

I met subs today who will get unemployment

>

Beethechange

I met subs today who will get unemployment
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I met 2 subs today that were granted unemployment and they said they will help me. I can't wait.

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is obviously something you feel very strongly about, and I'm sure you won't stop trying to get unemployment until you see this through. But I do want you to know that I have heard of subs being granted unemployment, but they did have to eventually pay it back months later........ Do you know if this is the 1st time that the 2 subs that you mentioned have been granted unemployment? If it is then they still don't know if it will be reversed, it could still happen.

So if you just need the money to get you through the summer then just know that after that it is possible that you will have to start making monthly payments after the summer ends to pay it back. It is not uncommon for the unemployment agency to grant unemployment and then realize they did it in error. I know two people this happened to neither were Subs but they both were granted unemployment, paid it for several months, then it was denied and reversed. One was a family member and the other was a friend. In both cases they didn't have the money on hand to keep up with the payments that the unemployment agency wanted them to pay. Eventually their wages were garnished and I know that the debt ended up on my family member's credit report. There definitely is a reason why so many Subs on here are telling you that they can't and don't receive unemployment.

Last edited by Sub14; 06-13-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Good Luck!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You sound really pressed about this which I understand, as having a baby when you're single and not making much money is extremely stressful. I agree with Sub14 though, be very careful and proceed with caution! Good luck!
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

Thanks for your advice but I'm gonna go thru
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well yes I am very pressed on this especially since now. I've never gone through with anything like this for fear ect. But when you work for this system since 2008 plus get a Masters degree / licenses and get NO JOB in return, the fear is gone. I just got tired of waiting and waiting and nothing. Ive interviewed 5 times in the last 2-3 years and there were lines and I mean lines. I'm fine with it and no I probably won't be hired especially since now they are hiring young Teaching Fellows or you got in because you have a connection. I'm 34 with a degree, experience and double licence. Everyone tells me to just wait for Mayor Bloomberg to leave office and hope the new Mayor turns things around, but is it really worth the wait? I don't think so.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

don't do it
Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

don't file unless it is allowed for subs in your state to get it.

It speaks to your character.

it is unlawful. If you get caught you may be asked to repay it.

If you get caught word will get out among companies and it will be harder to find a job. You will be known in that district and they will NEVER give you your own classroom (if that is a goal of yours).

There are people who will hear about it and report you.

Why not find a DIFFERENT job?

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

I wouldn't
Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To me when you sign up to sub you know that you need to figure out what you will do for money during the summer. It just doesn't seem right and almost fraudulent to me especially since most districts make you sign something stating it is basically seasonal work.

I had a friend who tried and they showed her every job she ever turned down and it was a rather embarrassing situation for her and didn't make her look that great with the district.

I agree - I would either find a different job or a summer job. You could always tutor.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

TeacherinWA, there are a couple of Substitute Teachers who work in one of the buildings that I sub in who have gotten unemployment for the summer. However, they do this to get them through the summer since they have no other income and don't have spouses to help out. I personally don't see it as being fraudulent. They know that it will be reversed after the summer ends and that they will have to pay it back. Some Substitute Teachers think it's worth it just to get the money for a couple of months, and probably look at it as being a interest free loan. Which to me is better than not being able to pay your bills, losing your house, having utilities shut off, not being able to buy groceries, etc. But they don't do it with the illusion that they are getting free money that they don't have to pay back. The Op seems to think that if she gets approved for unemployment that she won't have to pay it back, I think that is unrealistic, since the laws state that we don't qualify for it.

Far as it being seasonal work, I know seasonal workers who do construction on the roads who work April-November, and they know upfront that they will be laid off Dec-May during the snow/cold months each year, and they are entitled to and get unemployment. So I don't see how it being seasonal work should make a difference far as being entitled to unemployment.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It just seems to me that you would be better served trying to actually find a job that will pay you now instead of trying to milk a system for something that just isn't set up for that. Especially if you have to pay it back in September and won't be able to do that then.

I know you are pregnant and finding a job is hard. Find clothes that fit in a way that you don't look pregnant. Fat is fine. Employers can't ask you if you are pregnant, and you don't have to tell them. I got a job when I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant that way. I needed the money. I didn't expect them to pay maternity leave, or even health insurance, but I needed the pay check. I worked at that job for three years after. I remember my boss laughing when he found out. He thought that I might be, but like I said, he couldn't ask. That job was a life saver for me.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

dreamin2teach

I apllied & have 2 other times!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Your letter hit home to me. I need extra money during summer. I'm also having surgery for 2nd summer in the row. I've applied for lots of city school jobs & have been turned down because I'm not a full-time employee! I also have applied for summer tutoring jobs. They go to teachers employed full-time again! I have apps in for 2 county jobs right now, plus others in this state. I have a Master's Degree & am sick of this. I also had a profile on Care.com & just deleted it. No responses. We live in a very recessed area, my husband's on a limited pension which barely pays the bills & I can't make much or he lose it! Unless one of us gets employed full-time. I've also applied at Headstart 3 times in the past & for VA jobs & other jobs.My husband has NOT worked in 4 1/2 years & is 60 & will be 61 in the late fall. He gave up. He had no breaks to speak of. I tutored a little 3 years ago & worked at a summer camp for special kids, which they haven't had since then.Hubby is going to welding school the 2nd week of Aug. thru VRAP. He was told last year he couldn't due to his pension. They told him wrong. He is now a year behind. No one ever told me I couldn't apply for unemployment. I had a grad school friend tell me to do so & another sub, also. I hope it doesn't spoil any chances I have here to be employed full-time.I'm still applying at jobs here in education. Some of you are scaring me more than I already am. My hubby has almost used all of his retirement. Almost six years of marriage & we're way below poverty levels. But I will go interviews on crutches, if need be. We cannot afford to move & can't now either due to his upcoming schooling. I've been advised to do so several times.
dreamin2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Sub14
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you SIGN A LETTER stating that you do not qualify for unemployment and then you sign up for unemployment benefits, I THINK it is.

Construction is a different beast. A lot of construction workers will move around the US to get jobs. They also have Unions that get them unemployment mainly so there are qualified workers who come back. The construction companies pay unemployment insurance. Not every construction worker just holds a stop/slow sign or just uses a shovel.

Almost every year I have subbed I found a summer job or was able to save money to get through the summer. Subbing is always feast or famine anyway - so I have always saved for a rainy day and those months where we have days off for this or that. I have also been basically on my own at times because my partner has been unemployed himself. So I know how tough it is - but if you sign a letter you shouldn't be getting unemployment benefits. One of the reasons that the district has subs sign a letter is so they do not have to pay unemployment insurance - that saves the district tons of money.

The only way I can see that a district would actually do unemployment insurance is if the district is so small already and they need to keep the subs that they already have. But again if you sign something - you shouldn't be getting unemployment.

Mercury

Question Sub14
Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't understand those subs you mentioned...if they have the money to pay back the unlawful unemployment, then why don't they just set aside money during the school year for summer in the first place?? I don't get deliberately putting yourself in the hole like that.

For summer jobs I strongly suggest signing up at a temporary agency. I know a lot of subs are licensed teachers and want a full-time regular teaching job and might feel other jobs are beneath them, but there is no shame working at a factory during the summer or in an office doing admin temp work or whatever. I just got a summer job at a factory doing assembly work and packing boxes. It's boring and mindless but so what! I'll make over $4k over the next 12 weeks, not bad at all. Not as much as I make subbing but it's better than nothing.

So yah I agree with everyone else that says get another job...if you do get unemployment and then have to pay it back, how will you do that when you have a new baby?? Your money will already be stretched thin. If you can't or won't work right now, what about baby daddy, can he get a second job for the remainder of your pregnancy so you guys don't have to worry about money?

Mercury

dreamin2teach
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

((((Hugs))))

I hope things look up for you and your husband soon!

teacherinWA

Mercury
Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That was very sweet of you!

dreamin2teach

Update-Turned down for 3rd time
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just wanted to let you know that I was turned down for unemployment due to a lack of qualifying weeks in approx. x amount of money. I probably will never apply again for it while subbing tho'! It is legal in my state to do so, if you're a sub.I cannot get education related work again this summer (like last) but I did 3 years ago. I'm also having knee surgery that VA postponed once & will be out of commission for 6 weeks after the 5th. I just tripped & fell on my knees, again, too, recently. I'm a klutz.It was the night before the surgery they had cancelled. I've been x-rayed & am luckily just badly bruised & sore.I also hurt my already bad foot.
I'm still applying for education jobs, writing, drawing, housework, reading, & spending time w/my cats. I avoid the heat as much as I can, as it makes me sick. I'm also trying to feed a feral kitten which appeared outside the other day here; plus we're getting another one end of July or 1st of Aug. This feral one growls, hisses & actually spit at me. I can't find him today. He was on a porch next door to get out of the storm. I'm a big cat lover. But best of luck to you!
I'm still hoping for a full-time teaching job myself. Still waiting to hear about 2 county special education positions- my field. I was told education jobs are just too tough to get into. Duh! I may have to try something else. Scary thought!
dreamin2teach is offline   Reply With Quote