Help

First Grade

Complements of 10

>

teach8381

Complements of 10
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you teach your students to show all the different ways to make 10? My kids are having a lot of trouble with this concept. Thanks

teach8381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

unifix cubes
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have them make a train using 10 unifix cubes the same color. Then have them break it into 2 parts and tell you the parts. They can even play a game with a partner where one of them breaks off a piece and the other one has to guess how many they are hiding. It really reinforcing the whole and the parts concept.

Another way I like is to make a bead bracelet with a pipe cleaner and 10 beads (we actually begin with whatever number they already know the components of, and they practice the next number.) Using the same concept as the train, move the beads so that they are in 2 groups. Once they know the parts, let them keep the bracelet.

Last one- I use a ten-frame. It's a 2 column table with 10 boxes. Put objects in part of it- how many more do you need to make 10?

I know there are lots of ways, but those are my favorites.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

I use...
Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Shake the beans. You get a two color counter (red and yellow or white and red). Give them 10 and they spill them on the floor to see how they land. I have a recording sheet where they write - and - make 10 and color to show how the counters landed.

You could also use dominos. I have a recording sheet where students have one side filled I. With the dots and then they draw the other dots that they need to make ten. You could use the actual dominos to help them find the parts.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Math Blog
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I go to Math Coach's Corner blog whenever I'm looking for ideas on how to do anything in Math. She is amazing. If you go there and type in "making 10" in the search box (down about 1/2 way on the right hand side) and click on "search" (don't hit your return key), she has a lot of ideas including why 10 is so important.

http://mathcoachscorner.blogspot.ca/

I've also attached the write up I send home for parents with a couple of games they can play.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc The Importance of 10.doc (40.0 KB, 71 views)
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

gbm75

Friends of Ten Song
Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found a song on youtube called that might help. Also, on TPT someone has a set of ten frames you can download for free. You can laminate them and use them as flashcards for the kids to instantly tell you how many are in the ten frame, and how many more they would need to make 10 etc.

They're Friends of Ten Song: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ds+of+ten&sm=3

gbm75 is offline   Reply With Quote