TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Selfish?

>

signing out

signing out

Selfish?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After hearing about the conneticuit shooting, started thinking about how the teachers protected the children, and several died because of it. Makes me think I may be in the wrong profession. As much as i love children, I would not be willing to sacrifice my life to save them unless it was my own child. That me selfish of me, but its how i feel.

Hifiman

None of us know how we will truly react
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But as a teacher our first priority is student safety.

imafive

Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you would step up and protect them. I never thought I could handle another students snotty nose and their boogers, tie their nasty shoelaces, help zip their pants, clean their bloody knees and bandage them, deal with vomit.....

But I do all that. They are kids. I would protect those kids. I think you would as well.
signing out

signing out

Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would try to protect students, but my first priority would be to save my own life as i value my life. I don't believe a child's life is any more important than an adult teacher's life. Not to say i'd throw a child in front of me to take a bullet, but I certainly wouldn't be a shield to protect the students and take a bullet for them either.

twin2

thought about this too
Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think your feelings are natural, but I believe if a person is faced with the situation, they may just act completely different than they expected. You don't know how you would truly act until you've been there... And if you couldn't take charge and come between a shooter and your children, well, maybe you wouldn't be proud of it, but those are severe circumstances. Still I think it is a natural thing to protect your students.

Tulips

selfish?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not selfish, human.

OK4NOW

Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hope a situation like what happened yesterday never happens again anytime or anywhere. Take care!

Hifiman

Ok then, sorry
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

But seriously, I think any teacher would protect the kids, including you. Some will handle the stress of the situation better than others, but I truly think all teachers would protect their students. But again, we won't know until we are in this situation. I sincerely hope no one ever has to be in this situation ever again.

annie_g

Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't think it's selfish. But I know I would put myself between a shooter and a student without even thinking.

AD

Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think what you are feeling is very understandable. I've questioned what I would do/how I would react, and I think it's safe to say we don't know exactly what we would do/how we would react unless faced with it. There is no doubt in my mind that you are not the only teacher out there who's been asking themselves the same exact question. It's unimaginable to be in that kind of situation.

letsgomets

Do you have children?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If so, wouldn't you expect your child's teacher to do their utmost to protect them?

I would hope that if you found yourself in that situation, you would feel differently.

Rascalrose

Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Makes me think I may be in the wrong profession.
You just might be.

Quote:
As much as i love children, I would not be willing to sacrifice my life to save them unless it was my own child.
When I walk into that building each and every child in it becomes my own, the ones I love, the ones that annoy me, the ones with the pita parents, the ones who know which buttons to push, the ones who don't even know what a button is, all of them.

OK4NOW

Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hope this is respectful but now seeing the names and ages of all involved especially the student victims along with their pictures this is beyond comprehendible.

Kermit

Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I bawled when I heard that teacher interview with Diane Sawyer. And saw the posts on facebook about the first grade teacher who died protecting her kids.

While I hope NONE of us are ever in that situation- I doubt that the reality of how we would handle ourselves or what we would do will be evident until the time it happens.

I imagine I would protect the children. I hope so. I honestly love all the kids in my class. I am their guardian while they are in my class. Their parents trust me to care for them.

Even if you say you wouldn't protect them, what else would you do? Say to the shooter, "take their lives and spare mine?" Would you run or sneak out of the room and leave the kids alone, scared and crying? I doubt it.

Claire

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

While none of us can know exactly how we would react...If one of my personal children God forbid, was in a deadly situation I sure hope their teacher would protect them like their own. Alll of our students are some parent's precious child, just like our own personal kids are our precious children. Honestly, what do you think you would do if not have the instinct to protect those babies??

StoneSoup

While no one knows for sure,
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am sure I would protect my students. Like a PP said, they ARE my children when they walk through that door. I often go home at night, sick with worry about a child for many different reasons. I am thrilled when past students have successes, and cry when past students have failures. I can not even imagine the pain I would feel, if I protected myself and not them, and something happened to them.

newspedteach

wrong profession?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
This is sounding trollish.
I'm tending to agree...

I think it's normal at a time like this to question yourself quietly whether or not you would have the bravery that these professionals did. I hope all of us who have the privelege of teaching would do what those brave teachers did. If you're for real, your feelings are your feelings. It's ok to question, but I don't think that is what you're doing. I think saying straight out that you wouldn't do it is extremely disrespectful, especially at this time. .

I agree with this:
Quote:
When I walk into that building each and every child in it becomes my own, the ones I love, the ones that annoy me, the ones with the pita parents, the ones who know which buttons to push, the ones who don't even know what a button is, all of them.

AD

Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I was thinking about this post again, and my other thought was-if I didn't try to save my students and saved myself, would I be able to live with myself for the rest of my life? No.

Also, while I can understand you feel conflicted over what you would do, this probably isn't an appropriate time to post about it. Although I wasn't personally affected (I live nowhere near there, I don't know anyone directly affected) it has still left my with a very heavy heart today.

r9miles

9 years of teaching
Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

And I still get choked up by an unexpected fire drill. I feel the enormity of my responsibility and love for them all!

Peaches250

Personally....
Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

as a teacher I go into the building each day to work with my kids. They spend more time with me than their own parents and they are my responsibility. I would do whatever was necessary to make sure they made it home.

I had a professor who would say, every child in your class is someone's baby. She was so right.

As a parent, I have to have the faith that my daughter's teacher feels the same way. They are babies and I cannot stand the thought of how terrified those babies were when this happened. I would hope that her teacher would have the compassion and love that has been reported about the teachers at this school.

I think most teachers would protect their students, even if it cost them their lives. I could not stand by and watch any child be hurt just to keep myself safe.

Such a heartbreaking thought that a teacher who is entrusted with so many young lives does not think they could protect them in a situation like this.

Valone

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

In the school shooting I experienced, I shoved the one student I had under a table, turned off the light and told her NOT TO MOVE until I got back. I closed the locked door behind me.
As I was running down the hall, I thought, I must be an idiot, I could be shot by accident!
When I got to the scene, The shooter and weapons had been 'secured'.
I was a bit surprised by a teacher 3 rooms closer to the scene who later said, "I saw what was happening, reflected on my life, wife and kids, and shut the door."
Every member of our staff was touched differently.
I guess none of us can say what we would/could do in the moment.
Let us just pray that we won't need to.

wildflowerz

Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I don't think this is a troll. I think this is an honest person struggling with how they would react in a similar situation.

I posted earlier that my sister who is also a teacher was not affected the same way I was by the shooting. She also said that she would find the closest exit and get out to save her own life. She said that her responsibility is to her family.

I know I would save my kids. When we have lock down drills the kids always ask what we would do it it was real. I tell them how we would really hide in the bathroom and I would throw the desks over to quickly make a barricade. I think about where we would be less likely to be seen.

May we never find out how we would react.

Gromit

Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
She said that her responsibility is to her family
Except that it's not.

Taking out all criticism of OP (and pp's sister and others like them) as a person and her morals, being a teacher means agreeing to put others first.

They drill that into us with every disaster and lockdown drill. Our first responsibility is to our students. Even the teachers who have children at another school (that's mostly disaster drill relevant). Until our students are safely handed off to their guardians, we are responsible.

I think it's normal to question your courage, but to flat out say you wouldn't protect your students is to say you wouldn't do your job. So yes, you are in the wrong job. That's like a fireman saying a fire victim's life isn't more valuable than his, so why should he risk his life? Teaching isn't nearly as dangerous as being a first responder, so I'm not comparing it that way. But if you're thinking about your job in terms of whose life is more valuable, you're not thinking about it clearly.

Last edited by Gromit; 12-15-2012 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: change tone

ArtistLove

Responsibility
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Your responsibility is to the students in your classroom. If you are not willing to protect them and keep them safe, please hand in your resignation letter when you walk into school on Monday.

You would seriously just leave a bunch of scared children behind? What is wrong with you?

I don't know what I would do in such a situation, and I pray I never have to find out, but I know I would do anything for the children who are in my care. I say I don't know what I would do because my classroom just doesn't have a safe location where we would be protected. I can't see sitting there with all of my students waiting to die. The front door is right by my classroom. Wouldn't it just be better to run out?

MKat

Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I don't think Op is necessarily a troll. I actually think what "selfish" is saying is not that uncommon a thought. People think "I could never do that." Didn't all of us think "what would I have done?" "Would I have been able to save my class?"

I had a school secretary (whom I loved by the way) tell me she would never be able to give my son his epi-pen in an emergency. Someone else would have to do it. She is afraid of needles. I told her straight out that I had more faith in her than she had in herself and I KNEW that she would be able to do whatever was necessary to help my child.

If you value the lives of people, adrenalin kicks in and you do what you need to do, even if that means putting yourself at some sort of risk. I honestly believe this is true for most people.

I think this is the kind of thing you actually think about and train for if you're in law enforcement, the military, etc. But as teachers we haven't thought about it.

EarthMonkey

Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

As a teacher in the state I work in we are legally obligated to stay with the children of the school for at least 72 hours following an emergency situation or until they are all picked up by signed emergency guardians. If you are thinking other people's children are not worth it, you might think about how it would feel if the teachers at your child's school made that same claim and you were not able to get to your child for several days. Would you want them deserted?

crackerjill

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I have to honestly say I dislike my class. Most of my students are ungrateful and mean spirited. However I would in a heartbeat save my children over myself. Those little lives are entrusted to me every day and as a human being I cannot let a child be in danger without doing my best to stop it/save them.

heartmyjob

Normal reaction
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I have thought about the 27 year old first grade teacher all day. It brings tears to my eyes because hands down, if I was put in that situation, I would do what she did. At least I think I would...there is no telling what I would actually do if it came down to it.

You see, I don't have kids of my own so I think of all my students as "mine". The shooter would have to go through me to get to them.

However, I don't think the OP is at fault for questioning what he/she would do in this situation. If I had kids of my own, I may think differently.

When it comes down to it, I love my students. I couldn't face their parents or deal with myself if I did nothing to save them.

BigBooks

Honestly
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I don't think your feelings on this matter made you a bad person or teacher. Just saying.

AD

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
However, I don't think the OP is at fault for questioning what he/she would do in this situation. If I had kids of my own, I may think differently.
This is what I was thinking too. If the OP has children, that could be what he/she is thinking about (although I don't remember a mention of children). You think about your own children without a mother/father.

I'm NOT saying I agree with the OP, but it's something I wondered about.

Also, this:

Quote:
I don't believe a child's life is any more important than an adult teacher's life.
Well, you may feel a child's life isn't any more important than yours, but is your life any more important than a child's? We can't say that one person's life is more important/less important than another person's life when we are talking about innocent people. I'm thinking about the first grade teacher who told the crazy that her students were in the gym (when they were really hiding around the classroom). She was shot and killed and every child in her class lived. Her life was taken and so many children were saved as a result of her actions.

rlyndecker

Never know
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

what you would do in any situation...That's the truth for everyone I think...

I think that like PP said even though I dislike my class, and they are rude/ungrateful, I would like to think I would do EVERYTHING I could to save them all.

G_D willing none of us will ever have to find out what we would do in this situation...

cvt

selfish?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

We are biologically wired for self-preservation. We either run, hide, or fight. In the case of a shooting like the one at Sandy Hook, I have no doubt our instinct will take over and we will defend those children with our lives. It has nothing to do with legal obligations. They are our precious children. They are innocent and trust us to protect them the way their own parents would.

To the OP, I doubt very much that you would be running away and leave your students to fend for themselves. I truly believe you would find the strength to face the situation.

I personally would not be able to live with the knowledge that I did not do everything I could to save the lives of those children.

chocaholic

Agree
Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

With Peaches250:
I would defend my students because instinct would take over and I could not let them down. They are someone else's children but they are under my care. My own two children are at my school and I would be worried sick about them but I would know that their teachers were protecting them as much as they could.

I always thought I was an emotional worrywart and not that calm. However, when I became a parent and went thought the falls, bumps, cuts, and little accidents that needed emergency care, I realized that a calmness comes over me at those times. I'm not saying I would not be terrified, but I think when you have others looking to you to stay calm and reassure them, a special strength comes through. I could see myself reassuring my students and doing everything possible to protect them. I feel my kids' teachers would do the same (whether or not they have children of their own) and I know that if something happened to me and I didn't make it, my kids would be proud of me and understand that I had to do what I did.

As others said, I hope none of us (nobody, for that matter) has to face this in our line of work again.

Smurfyteach

Best reply to selfish
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Amen rascalrose!!!

Violets2

Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I am sad that some here are being so harsh on the OP. He/She is just sharing and musing thoughts with a peer group. OP is not asking for your opinion nor your thoughts. This is hard enough and to have others who are sounding very righteous about what they would do throwing OP under the bus, so to speak.

I don't think you are in the wrong profession. We are not trained first responders and are not truly trained on how to respond to a situation like this.

Thank you for your honesty.

OK4NOW

Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I truly think no one would knows how you would react you would be so caught off guard. Take care!

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I think you either have it or you don't depending on how you are really "wired" We had a lockdown at our school we thought was real. It was a police exercise and I was in a portable (it was my first year and I had so many angry parents after this worst idea ever....they shot at the portables with rubber pellets. It was disgusting.). I put my students along the appropriate wall and hid ol next to the door with a "dead" sword. I guess I was going to try to chop at the person with a dull decorative sword ? I am such a timid and frightened person but I just reacted. I think must people are wired to defend. I honestly fee l like I would be a runner and and would worry too without experience.

I ♥ cats

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I have been in two emergency situations in my life - one was a car accident when I was a teenager and one was at school last year with a child going crazy trying to hurt other children and me. In both situations I stepped up and tried to protect others without thinking, and truly I think that's what most of us would do when actually faced with an emergency.

In the car accident my mom fell asleep on a country road and crossed the center line, hitting a van and causing it to flip. She and my grandmother were in the front seat and weren't hurt, but both of them absolutely freaked out and couldn't do anything. This was before the days of cell phones and my dad had been driving ahead of us to get to my grandmother's house, probably around 30 miles away. I started flagging down passing cars to ask someone to call the police and to let my dad know, and I remember standing in the middle of the road directing traffic around the wreck until the police came. Afterward my mom said I needed to be a nurse or doctor because I was able to stay calm in an emergency. I didn't feel calm in the least inside, but was able to do what needed to be done. In the kid situation, a student went berserk with no warning on the first day of school, and I screamed at my class to get out of the room and get help, then went in the hall myself and held the door shut to keep the enraged child in (I could see him through the window). Again I was scared to death and didn't feel calm, but was able to do what needed to be done to protect my class.

I think your feelings are normal and as several pp's have said, none of us knows what we would actually do until faced with that situation.

jazzer

Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

The OP has had time to think about what she would do in a situation like this but the reality is that if this really happened she would be taken by surprise and instinct would take over.

When we don't hae time to think about things our natural instinct would be to protect others and ourselves but to put others first.

My husband said the teachers whose lives were taken protecting children were not planning on being heroes, they just reacted instinctively to the situation.

This poster may actually protect the children first in a situation like this on instinct without even realizing it.

We can't assume that the OP would truly consciously run off and leave children there. We don't normally sit around during the school day ad map out a plan to escape from a crazy shooter who breaks into the building. It is not a common occurrence and not expected on a daily basis.

wildflowerz

Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Quote:
This poster may actually protect the children first in a situation like this on instinct without even realizing it.
Definitely. When little ones are around the protective instinct will take over.

If it is a group of peers then the protect and help or flee choice would occur. It is very rare to put ones own safety over a person who is helpless.

I said it before and I'll say it again... I am so thankful that we have a place to have a healthy discussion with people in our profession. It may not have happened to us personally but it happened in 'our world'.