Help

Substitute Teachers

Help. Please, help.

>

mooba1

Help. Please, help.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here’s the deal: I have several sub assignments lined up through May for the same teacher/class. I’ll be in that classroom at least twice a month, on average.

The students in this whole grade level (2nd) are a wild and wooly group, and have been since kinder. The class I’m in isn’t the worst, but they talk non-stop, get up out of their seats w/o permission, are frequently wildly off task, and on and on. The majority of them aren’t the sharpest blades in the tool shed, so that doesn’t help matters.

Normally, I would grit my teeth, clamp down on them,and just get through the day. Since I’m going to be with this group a lot this year, I really want to lessen the chaos. I did a little modeling today, and already have in mind some more for tomorrow. Ugh, if it were my own class, I’d model and they’d practice until the routines/transitions were the way they should look and sound. As a sub, how much time can I take from instruction to do this? ETA: I’ve subbed at this school for several years (I’m a retired teacher),so I know the teacher fairly well, and that gives me a little more leeway.

I’ll take anything you’ve got. I just cannot spend the year with these kids being so undisciplined, because it’ll drive me crazy. The school uses a color chart for behavior, and the kids clip up and down. I hate it, but that’s another vent.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-20-2018, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tell a story about how someone was unfairly disrespected, and get them to feel it, then tell them they are so valuable, that you would be upset if someone was to disrespect them, then when they disrespect each other, remind them that's what they are doing, and they are too special and valuable to be treated like that. I know it sounds corny, but it's been working for me for a while now. 2nd is a hard grade for me, but they do like stories, and if they know you think they are awesome, they will often work to that expectation.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-20-2018, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Personally I think you should take all the time you need to go over and practice routines every time you are in. I would do a quick team-building activity too. These kids know you. You have a relationship with them and they should respond to your expectations. They see you enough they know your routines.

I said that, thinking of a difficult fifth grade class I was with a lot last year. After reading the response by Whd507, I thought of the second grade class I was with last year. They were a great class. From the start I praised this class. They did feed off that and each time I was in their class the kids were happy and affectionate to me. They were a good class anyway, but I know the praising helped them to do even better.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

UPDATE: Help. Please, help.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. Keep ‘em coming!

Today was up and down, but there were some successes, so one step at a time. I got some kids to do some modeling for me, both examples and non-examples.

There is so much to work on, so I focused on a couple of things that worked my nerve the most: leaving the room w/o permission, talking during “read to self” time, and raising their hand to ask if they can go get water or go to the restroom. For the last one, I taught them the sign language for restroom (the hand sign for letter r), and water ( the hand sign for the letter w). Several of them said, “Oh! We did that in first grade!” I respond by nodding my head yes or shaking my head no. We can have a conversation without saying a word, and it doesn’t interrupt the flow of instruction.

Stay tuned, as there will be more adventures to follow.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
luv2teach2017
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 AM
This message has been deleted by luv2teach2017.

Song of Joy

Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It sounds like you know all the tricks already. I think that since you will see them so often, spending time and energy on classroom expectations is well worth it.

I have a low and busy class this year too and so I fit in as much kinesthetic and large motor activities as possible.

In the course of a day:
* I clamp down heavy on entering, exiting and transitioning
* Whole brain teaching with lots of action, motion and sharing
* Lots of turn and talk
* Stand up, Hands up, Team up, Walk and Talk - what did your partner say?
* Play with modeling clay when I read aloud
* Free choice center time

I like your idea of permission for drinks, etc. without talking.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote