Help

Substitute Teachers

Wrap up of 3 days of subbing

>

spedder1

Wrap up of 3 days of subbing
Old 09-28-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed as a float sub in my former school. I knew all of the teachers whose classrooms I assigned. On Monday I was in kindergarten in the morning and 3rd grade in the afternoon. The kindies were wonderful. There was one little boy that had a comment for everything, not in a negative way. I was warned about him sidetracking lessons, so I didn't fall for it. I only made one child cry. She came back and apologized for her behavior. The third graders were a huge challenge. Half of the students were ones I had when I did the 2 week interim sub job until the new long term sub could start. The other half are new to the school, most coming from another school in our district. The board of education changed the zone lines for many of the schools, so these new children are from an area that is very unlike the area where the school is. Anyway, it was like oil and water the entire time I was in the room. The only good child was the one I was warned about. He has severe emotional issues. He was helpful, kind, worked hard, and listened well. If he would have been his usual self, I would have run screaming from the building. On Tuesday I subbed in 5th grade and 1st grade. The 1st graders were so sweet. They were, for the most part, extremely cooperative and well behaved. Then came 5th. A good friend of mine is the teacher. She told me it was a rough and emotional group. Yep. The did okay for the most part until we were walking back from lunch. I had them lined up and was telling them what to do when they got into the room. They were not listening. I started the whole, my job is to teach, your job is to learn speech when one boy said, "Well, you sure aren't doing your job." I told to turn around and sent them to the room. The AP was standing outside the door. She heard him and took him aside. I don't know what was said, but he was crying when he came back in. I'm thinking he had to call his dad. Finally, Friday. I had 2nd grade and 4th grade. The second graders were cute and fun. There was one boy with unmedicated ADHD to the nth degree. The parents do not agree with each other when it comes to meds. In the meantime he needs lots of movement breaks. The fourth graders were okay. I knew many of them and they knew me. The new to the school students were a challenge, but I did get them to do their work. It was weird having 4th grade girls as tall as me in the room. They were nice girls. As the students lined up for gym one boy, who I've known since kindergarten, had a medical emergency. I got the kids lined up and half walked/half dragged him down the hall. After consulting with the nurse and questioning him, I felt he'd had a seizure. I didn't say that in front of him and knew I couldn't tell that to the parents. I finally got to talk with the mother and explained exactly what had happened and that he was still slurring his speech and complaining that the top of his head hurt. His color was no longer ashen, but he looked horrible. Mom sent dad to get him. Dad and I talked and he said he was rushing him to the ER. He wasn't in school yesterday or today (texting with the teacher). There is no news yet, but I am really afraid for the boy. I didn't sub yesterday or today. I have appointments next week, so am not sure I will sub at all. I'm cutting back this year and only subbing when personally requested. It's time to take this retirement thing more seriously.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 09-28-2018, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote