Help

Substitute Teachers

Substitute teaching nomination and previous evaluation

>

newteacher2

Substitute teaching nomination and previous evaluation
Old 09-28-2018, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have done substitute teaching in 2016 and 2017 and had a good record. last year I work as a full-time teacher and I was new. My first-year evaluation is very bad because at the beginning I ended standing up against some injustice. I ended up resigning after a full year. Now I was trying to apply for a substitute and got this message. Now my question is how can I write an appeal for it? Thank you for your interest in the Substitute Teacher position with the New York City Department of Education. However, this office cannot proceed further with your application because you have either received an Unsatisfactory/Ineffective rating for teaching service in the New York City Public Schools for one or more school years, you had a discontinuance of probation, or you were terminated for cause in a previous position with the Department of Education. FOR RATINGS: If you would like to request that your Unsatisfactory/Ineffective rating not be included in the consideration of your current application, you may file a request for a review of your application within 30 days of this e-mail. Your letter of request must be specific, provide supporting documentation, and address the issues identified by the school or the circumstances leading to the Unsatisfactory/Ineffective rating(s).

newteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

newteacher2's message
Old 09-29-2018, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm probably very unqualified for this, but since nobody has responded, I thought I'd give it a try.

I would definitely go to the review. It may just be a formality, anyway. It can't hurt anything, and you may have people on the "board" that are very understanding.

Emphasize how well you did for 2 years. Maybe get some evaluation letters for them to read from teachers you subbed for? If they are different schools it would be great to get a letter from the principal with the sub jobs - that would go a long way. A parent letter would be great, too.

Since you did so well for 2 years as a sub, that shows that you have what it takes to do a good job as a teacher - for sure, I think.

The form letter that you received is exactly that - a form letter written by someone that checks boxes for a living - not a thinking being. You MUST go to the review and explain the situation.

Get as much documentation AS YOU CAN - if you think about it, you can probably find more documentation - dates that show the dates you worked, a calendar with your days worked highlighted, to show that you did, indeed, work a lot - if possible, if you can get teacher reviews for those days? As was stated in one of these forums, if you have aesop, and you know a teacher there, you can get access to your feedback scores and use them (I have heard). There are probably other things, but start thinking about every little thing and then you'll find ways to combine them into broader things to make a case for yourself. Put time into it to make it look like you didn't just through a bunch of papers together (obviously).

That's my best ideas, anyway.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with dietcoke’s response. The answer will always be “no” if you don’t try. Best of luck in pleading your case, and let us know how it goes.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Brooke451

Brooke451

Other District
Old 09-29-2018, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know you're in NY, but can't you substitute teach in another district? Aren't there surrounding districts to sub at? I live on the west coast, and there are so many public school districts to work at.

Or is there a possibility that you work in a charter school whereby you can still earn credit for retirement?

Maybe you can move to an area where there are more districts to choose from. I am currently looking for a full time position, so I might have to move further inland away from the coast to secure a position. People move for more opportunities often.

But file a request for review in NY and check it out first like the others have said.

elepen

Old 09-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

New teacher 2

I was worried about this when I applied to sub in the district I was non renewed in 2006 ( 12 years ago)
I'm subbing in that district. Maybe because so many years have passed.
I'm a requested sub
Hugs to you and good thoughts
Let us know what happens
Good luck !!!!

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

requested sub
Old 09-29-2018, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How do you know that you are a "requested sub." Word of mouth, or ?
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-29-2018, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Secretaries and teachers txt me or in person ask me to sub
I wrote that to encourage the poster because it is in a district I was non renewed
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote