Help

Substitute Teachers

Need ideas for intermediate activities

>

KatieViolet

Need ideas for intermediate activities
Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've tried searching this board but can't seem to hit on the right search word...

I'm new to subbing (but not to teaching, so this shouldn't be so difficult--but I'm hitting a wall!) My first two sub days had no plans left at all. I managed to wing it pretty well and got through the days. But now my one "go-to" activity has been used up, and I'm likely to sub for some of the same kids again. (I brought a book and used it as a discussion/writing prompt.)

What are some other easy activities I could have in my pocket for intermediate aged kids? I'm thinking 3rd-6th. I always bring a couple books, and can do a lot with that, but it doesn't always fill the day up. Looking for other ideas, particularly math. Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

For math
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you might want to look at some "math riddle" books by Greg Tang, like The Grapes of Math

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=Greg+Tang

I'd go for the cheapest editions or check your local library to see if they are congruent with your teaching style.

I carry a paperback picture book called Do Not Open This Book which makes both an excellent, funny read aloud and a writing prompt--variations have included Do Not Open This
journal, door, bedroom, shed, box, magazine, etc.

There is also a series by Ed Emberly of how to draw books, I model/guide drawing an object that relates to something in that day's reading, lesson (the books have hundreds of things to draw) and have the students put in the setting and other picture details then write about their illustration. The Make A World book is great all by itself.

You can always ask a neighboring teacher for some worksheets from their file drawer--most teachers have workbooks from previous texts they can pull out for you to photocopy if you need them to sit down and work.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a book of writing prompts and a book of directed draws. Other than that I just pick up where the prior day left off. Sometimes there’s a prior day agenda on the board, sometimes I can figure it out by the homework. Most elementary classes have a library, so I pull things to read/write about.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Math game. Cards, 2 for each student, each one with a number to start (say 35) then a multiplication problem (say 7x7) with another student with 49 and another problem, until it gets back to the start card. Time them with a stopwatch, swapping cards each round. Takes a few minutes to make the cards, but the kids love it, and it is fun. Maybe only one card per student for lower grades with addition of subtraction. The key is problems easy enough to do in your head fairly quickly as each round is timed.

Less fun, have students make times tables and quick-draw answers when called. Divide into teams and Drill and score the drills by team.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

sharing is caring!
Old 09-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Once we get these ideas going, I hope that supply teachers don't end up rerunning ideas once they had been done.

I would try getting ideas/instruction through the teachers in the building first. I definitely understand the need. I think I might use some of these for my own. Thank you.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Writing prompts, flash cards, and a list of educational games are the easiest to carry and require the least amount of effort to implement. You can always carry math practice worksheets, and worksheets for other content areas, but it costs money and time to reproduce them and takes up more room in your teacher bag.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Fortunately this is very rare.

When there are no plans initially, someone brings them to my usually within 30 minutes of class starting, but there are some things you can do to prepare yourself.

1. Try to find and go through the teachers plan book, and hopefully locate the resourses that correspond to the plan book.

2. begin a collection of worksheets obtained from other classrooms that you can make copies of on short notice, or purchase paperback books from education stores that have assignments of all sorts at all grade levels.

I used to have carts full of such dittos, but I hardly ever used them so I now leave most at home

3. Have the students manufacture an exam based on what they have learned so far in class, and have them provide an answer key to their own exam. Tell them to have an assortment of questions that include multiple choice. short answer, and essay questions. You can have them work with a partner.

3. Have the students pair up and choose a book to read together from the class library. Then have them do a written and oral report in front of the class about characters, setting, plot, whether they liked the book, would they recommend it etc.

4. Tell the students that it is important that you pick up from where they left off yesterday so they do not fall behind and have extra work to do when their teacher returns. This will motivate them to let you know what page in the book they left off from.
Have them do questions from the book, or make up an assignment relevant to what they are reading.If you have the TE, there are usually a bunch of assignments available to choose from.

5., Have them catch up on i ready math and reading, and AR tests on their chrome books.

6. Have them draw a portrait of someone else in the class without telling anyone who they are drawing, and have students guess the student drawn.

7. Have students write a " complement essay" where they write about a student who they feel is a great student or friend and why. Have them share why this person is special.

There are many other suggestions, but these are a handful.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

neat idea
Old 09-28-2018, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sirsubalot, thanks for those suggestions.

Some I hadn't heard before and they're easy to being; material and instructions wise, especially numbers 3, 6 and 7. They sound engaging for all ages.

I may never get a chance to use them, except for the early finishers.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher342

spur of the moment
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I was subbing I found I was referred alot. Consequently, there were alot of spur of the moment calls because they knew I could do it. I found while I was trying to get familiar with what needed to be done I played a game you could put a student in charge of. Pick a topic: animals, food, adjectives etc. Start at the beginning of the alphabet and say a ______that starts with that letter. Ex: Animals-ape, bear, cougar, dinosaur... When you have older children have a rule the word needs to be more than 3 letters.
teacher342 is offline   Reply With Quote