Help

Substitute Teachers

Ever have an unlike-able group of kids?

>

Sublime

Ever have an unlike-able group of kids?
Old 09-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ever have a group of students you just didn't like? Upper elementary, poor listening skills, semi-manageable group, but exhausting. Can't have fun for five minutes because chaos will ensue. Not necessarily the worst but difficult to enjoy. In my many years of subbing I have rarely ended a day by saying I just did not like the students. And I'm going back in a couple weeks because it was a request!

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-22-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

yeah, I had this class of 4th graders who were terrors in that school since kindergarten. literally teachers moved away to other schools to avoid the class as it moved up. I had them a few times as 4th graders, and when I wasn't paying attention, I got hooked into a long term subbing assignment for 60 days, and it turned out to be those same kids. it was rough at first, but we made it work for the most part. a few of them turned out pretty ok.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Lol...yep, a couple of times
Old 09-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I recently had a class of 3rd graders that acted like mean middle schoolers! I usually enjoy 3rd grade kids, but somehow these had the idea that they could just defiantly take control. At lunch one of the regular teachers asked me how I was holding up. She said it was a rough group and told me I could send problem students to the neighboring "buddy class" for a time out. I didn't end up needing that, but it was sure nice to get her validation and support!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-22-2018 at 07:37 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-22-2018, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yep, and it is often classes where the teacher requests me often.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, and the teacher keeps saying, “I’m surprised you just keep coming back, but I’m so glad you do”. My thinking is that I’m more stubborn than the kids are, plus I don’t have to deal with them on a daily basis.

If you read my “Help!”post below, this is not that group. The “Help!” group is reachable. The ones I refer to in this post, not so much.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

No repeats
Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Be crazy once and I won’t be back. That is my motto. There are schools and teachers that are off my list.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

yep
Old 09-23-2018, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a class like that in 3rd a few years ago. Individually, I could get along fine with any kid in there, but the mix was just awful! There was no sense of community and there was always sooooo...much...drama.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@cc96
Old 09-26-2018, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm with you. I have a zero tolerance policy for crazy from students and lack of assistance from staff.

I don't get paid enough to be harrassed or ignored when I have a serious problem.

My life philosophy has always been:

"Don't waste time if you don't feel welcome."

Last edited by subasaurus; 09-26-2018 at 04:12 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 09-26-2018, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes! omg....I subbed in a 2nd grade for two days last week, a bunch of kids who NEVER STOPPED TALKING. Never. Ever. omg. I could look right at Susie and say "Susie! Please stop talking." But the second my eyes would move to the next kid Susie would start talking again. And compounding that problem is that two boys in this class have only outdoor voices. They have no concept of modulating their voice when the person they're talking to is sitting right across from them. I left that class with a headache and plans to avoid them at all costs for the rest of the year.

However....this teacher will have to have knee surgery in the near future and will be out for 2-3 weeks. o.m.g. I'm SO hoping that they won't ask me...I don't think they will because I already have at least three jobs each of the weeks, jobs at this school. So I'm thinking it will be too much trouble for them to cancel all those jobs just to put me in this class. I hope so! Fingers crossed.

This is the first class as a whole that I've felt like this about. Usually there are one or two kids in each class who are a problem, and sometimes one of them is such a problem that I just won't sub in that class. But I've never met an entire class that annoyed me for an entire day.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had the good fortune to work for an excellent principal when I started subbing. At the end of one challenging day, I stopped by her office, collapsed in her guest chair and said, "How the heck do you keep doing this every day?"

Her reply has become seared into my brain and heart. "You find something to love about every kid you touch." So simple. Not always so easy--I occasionally asked her about specific kids. "What's to love here?"

What I learned (among many things) is that these kids are just little people who are trying to find their place and their way in a world that can complex and confusing. In some ways, we have that in common. I'm bigger and a lot older, have a little more experience and insight, but there's still a lot that challenges me and there are times when I'm uncertain of what to do and how to act.

When I think I'm starting to forget that, there's one little guy I remember. I really had trouble "loving" him and so did everyone else, including his teacher. Then I started learning more about him, including how he would sneak off the bus at the wrong stop so he didn't have to go home. And one day he did something truly amazing for me (it's truly a long story or I'd tell it) in spite of the fact he was only in second grade. It became difficult NOT to love him.

I'm the first to admit, it's easier with one than twenty. Yesterday I had two particularly difficult classes... as the saying goes, they really got on my last nerve and I nearly became a teacher even I wouldn't like--out of patience and out of control. But it was the "class" (group) I was unhappy with--not the kids, really. When I stood near the door for dismissal, I got some hugs and some "high fives" from these little people who are trying to find their way. We'll get another shot at it for sure and maybe we'll all do better.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Ditto, most of the time
Old 09-28-2018, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm with you. Although sometimes, it pays off if you there a couple of times during a semester, the students can understand you are not a threat. And ones gets to know the quiet students, hears their ideas.
Of course that is only if I have the courage to go back. Not always.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote
Poserva

Poserva

Students Who are Easy to Dislike
Old 10-05-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had a wonderful group of students today, and I told them they were. We had a great day today.

But then there are other days when you get a group that are just difficult to work with. Usually I try to find the students in the class who are going with the flow and behaving. I compliment them. As for students who are hostile try to wreck our day, I make it clear to them that I don't have time for trouble. If they want to argue , I tell them to go argue with themselves. I try to use positive incentives first, but they won't work for certain students.

I am not afraid to send some students to the office. I usually warn them a couple of times, move them, and have them fill out reflections, but if annoying conduct continues they're out. I make it clear that they are responsible for their actions. I have students tell me how they will make changes before they go back into the room.

If they don't try or can't tell me about making behavior changes, I send them to the office. They bring their reflections to the office and show the principal so they know that I have done a few things to prevent problems. Usually sending one student helps because the rest will fall in line, but this doesn't always work.

For me students are people, albeit little. As far as behavior is concerned, there are good , average, or poor behaving students.

The question I pose to people on here is this. Are children born into this world with inherently good, average, or deficient attitudes and demeanors ?

Does society shape these attitudes or is it both the former and the ladder?

Is behavior innate or is it shaped by experience?

Lakeside

Old 10-06-2018, 01:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
The question I pose to people on here is this. Are children born into this world with inherently good, average, or deficient attitudes and demeanors ?
I do believe children are born with certain temperaments, certain ways they're drawn to experience the world. But...

Quote:
Does society shape these attitudes or is it both the former and the ladder?
Yes, I also believe society shapes those tendencies by providing the boundaries that we try to fit into. The most successful kids find ways to match what they want with the appropriate times and places.

Quote:
Is behavior innate or is it shaped by experience?
Again, both - but it is definitely shaped by experience. Kids will continue behaviors that have worked before - that's why we see a lot of students trying things at school that work at home. And what "works at home" is influenced by things as small as household routines and as big as crushing poverty.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Lakeside... good points!
Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would just add that while our environment contributes to who we are, we can decide who we will become.

One of my great annoyances is our propensity ("our" meaning society and the educational system) to focus all our energy on explaining behavior rather than creating self-awareness and empowering people--including kids--to manage and change it.

I'm not given to being an alarmist, but we are creating a future crisis while we cheat kids out of the opportunity to learn how to be a well-functioning adult in the real world.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote