Help

Substitute Teachers

A waste of money interactive whiteboard

>

c6g

A waste of money interactive whiteboard
Old 09-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was in a fifth grade classroom today, and a new and large interactive whiteboard covered the large whiteboard that was once in the front of the room. It was set up for me, and I was encouraged to use it.

It was a major pain in the neck. Writing with the special pen was a slow process. In the time it took to write one letter, I could have written several with a dry erase marker. If I or a student bumped into it (or looked at it the wrong way ), everything we wrote disappeared.

I think there are several companies that make these products, and perhaps some are better than others. This one (not sure which brand) seems to be a lemon. It's a shame the district spent a fortune on one for every classroom.

Has anyone else (regular teachers included) had to use an interactive whiteboard that's more trouble than it's worth?

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Limited experience...
Old 09-28-2018, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had the opportunity to use one occasionally... there's a learning curve for sure but I did find it fun to use and wished I had more time to experiment with it. (The teacher was in the room and helped the first time.) I suspect that, like most technology, these boards are under-utilized--especially based on the price.

It does sound like there were some issues with the one you worked on.

One issue I find is that technology differs widely from one classroom to another, partly based on teacher preferences. Sometimes it interferes more than helps with teaching. Personally, I'd rather walk around the classroom and show each student something rather than try to figure out the Elmo or document camera, but it does help when showing how to do things, etc.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

MaineSub, thanks for your response. It was similar to an interactive whiteboard, but perhaps the term whiteboard is not the best way to describe it.

Some of these products work with an actual whiteboard or something that resembles one, and they can be turned off when not in use. This one had an enormous screen which can possibly be described as a video wall (if that's the right word). The thing was designed to be on continuously. If I were a student or regular teacher in one of these classrooms, I think I'd go out of my mind from staring at it all day (there was a slight glare), but perhaps they're used to it.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Smartboards
Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I sub in the district I formerly taught in. A majority of the general ed teachers and a couple special ed teachers have everything set for the day and lined up in order on the task bar on the Smartboard. It makes life so much easier. They also put the schedule, online resources, and activities on the Smartboard. Sometimes they are slow and in those cases I punt. I can see the activity on the computer screen, so I'll turn on the Elmo and just write it on paper and have the students also do the activity on paper. I was in a brand new school a couple of weeks ago. They have a smartboard in each classroom. I'm not sure the brand. The teacher was in the room when I got there, so she showed me how to use it. It did take some time to adjust to the different features. I am lucky that the last 3 years I worked as a full time teacher I had a Smartboard and an Elmo. It makes it so much easier that shuffling papers.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

simplicity is best
Old 09-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've taught for 4 different districts. Each district and each school has different classroom tools. My worst nightmare has been the classrooms with huge Smartboards that block the white board, and I have no way to access the Smartboard because there is no ELMO and the teacher took the laptop. . I've resorted to using the flipchart or just tacking the handout to the wall as I teach!

As others have mentioned, Smartboards require a learning curve and someone to show you how to use them. The best I've gotten is to have an ELMO and laptop hooked up, with instructions on how to project the ELMO image on the Smartboard. It worked fine. But nothing I couldn't have done with a simple projector and ELMO (my favorite tools, and the most commonly used).

The other day, I subbed in a familiar class only to find that a new TV had been set up in front of the Smartboard! Turns out the Smartboards are being phased out in favor of big screen TVs. This is preferable in that the TVs are being installed above the whiteboards rather than in front of them, so the teacher can use both. In my view, whiteboards are still the best teaching tool there is.

But as others have said, for a sub, the big issue is wasting a lot of time trying to figure out the technology that is unique to each classroom. Last week, I was in a class where the ELMO was connected to an IPad, which was hooked up to the TV (seriously????). Problem was, I didn't have instructions on: 1) what settings to select on the IPad, and 2) what Input Mode to use on the TV. After several failed attempts (including the enthusiastic "help" of several 2nd graders ), I gave up and just improvised using the whiteboard. It was a simple 2nd grade math lesson, so no big deal.

After all my experiences to date, I still conclude that simple is better (and less expensive too). Give me an ELMO, projector, and whiteboard, and I'm good.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-29-2018 at 08:30 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Exit9

Exit9

Collision Course
Old 09-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Technology and subbing don't always go together. A terrible wreck sometimes. I like it much better when I taught full time because I knew how the equipment worked and if it had any idiosyncrasies or quirks.

On these electronic white boards I smear or wipe off the lettering because I am left handed. There is a delay from when you put a letter down, and it takes another second to finally appear.

I like it best when I can simply use the document camera or ELMO. I have had lesson plans requiring me to use the internet when I have no password to get into the computer. I have been directed find a lesson or activity by sifting through 250 or more slides.

Subs have to wait until the school office is open before they are able to get to their classroom, so they have very little time to prepare. Sometimes I have supervision/duty before starting the day, so the time figuring out technological problems is very limited. I usually ask the teacher next door for help. They are usually very helpful.

Ima Teacher

Old 09-29-2018, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iíve had a Smartboard for 10 to 12 years. I use it all day, every day. It did take a bit used to it. I donít leave anything for subs to do with it unless I know 100% who will be my sub and they know what they are doing with it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Same as Ima
Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use my smartboard all day long. But I never assume a sub knows how to use it. I have an easel that has a wipe off board on one side, so I recommend using that in my plans.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

All teachers need tools
Old 09-29-2018, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

To Munchkin and ImaTeacher:

When I sub, I only use the equipment that the lesson plan directs me to use. The lesson plans almost always direct me to use the ELMO and projector, Smartboard, or TV. But too often the lesson plan fails to give adequate directions on how to set things up, or the equipment isn't working properly, or something is missing (e.g. laptop).

All teachers, including guest teachers, need the proper tools! If nothing else, at least a decent whiteboard.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I appreciate the teachers that leave smart board-FREE plans. I can use the smartboard, but I don't use it enough to know all the ins and outs on a daily basis. I would say out of every MONTH of subbing, I have to use the smart board ONCE.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote