Substitute Teachers

late calls

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

late calls
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to admit, I'm not one of those early bird risers. I wait for the sound of my phone to ring if a job comes up. I wish that teachers would give themselves a deadline to phone in an absence especially when they're sick. Say, as late as 4.30 am when phoning in. What some regular teachers need to realize is if they have no preferred sub yet is by giving some latitude in time, it allows a system to do an all-out call.

One possibility for why you gotta give time is because the response time may be slow especially when a sub drops the assignment (and hopefully another sub can pick up in a timely manner and commits). Please remember that a sub also needs travel time (especially when there's road closures, construction or possibility of an accident along their way) and this includes locating the campus and finding a suitable parking.

I can understand emergency situations and that's why they might call a sub system a couple of hours before the day starts. I could get myself ready to sub and then anticipate a call on the minute of some assignment but not everyone works like that.

It would be great if I could get notices ahead of time for sub jobs but I really don't mind taking in assignments on the day of. Just not in the minute of an assignment.

Sublime

Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just one of the hazards of the job. Most schools understand a sub will be late if the job was just posted but you'd have to call them when the office opened to tell them. That's one reason I like to have my jobs lined up ahead of time, even if it's the day before.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

My last minutes come from..
Old 09-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

.sick kids. The teacher goes to wake up the kids and one or more is sick or running a temp. I get those calls from my DIL too, when she can't take the day off work and one of the grands wakes up sick. So, I am a substitute parent...
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-20-2018, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It can be inconvenient to get those morning sub calls. I am a morning person but I hate those calls. I like to know in advance, but I will take jobs at the last minute too.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is always a good idea to make sure the job really exists.

A few times I have called to confirm a late job and to let them know when I expect to be there, but discover that they changed their minds and don't need a sub after all.

One of my districts is frequently negligent at forgetting to cancel jobs.

Just this week, I got a call at 2:50 for a job that ended 10 minutes later at 3:00.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-22-2018, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are a million reasons why jobs come up at the last minute. Because I live relatively close to the school and am flexible, I've encountered a lot of them. One is that sometimes the planned sub bails at the last minute--that's certainly not the teacher's fault. I've been called when a teacher's husband was unexpectedly rushed to the hospital... when a teacher unexpectedly took sick at the last minute or even during the day and just couldn't continue. Some of my calls are "Please get here as fast as you can..." Since I have a standby procedure that includes a ready-to-go backpack with my sub supplies, I can usually be at school within 15-20 minutes of being called.

One of the benefits of subbing is that we can always say "no" if the assignment doesn't suit us.

I'm normally not a fan of sports analogies, but when you're sitting on the bench, the coach can't always tell you when he's going to put you in the game.
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

good point
Old 09-23-2018, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...but when you're sitting on the bench, the coach can't always tell you when he's going to put you in the game..."

Good point especially when you're a hustler. I know some subs that literally beg for future jobs and play extra nice with a school staff. You gotta do what you need to do.
Verbee

Verbee

Late Calls
Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I rarely take late calls. I dislike waiting in anticipation and not having a clue what job might turn up. I am very careful. I avoid all special education and middle school. I avoid kindergarten. If I don't see any assignment by 4:45 a.m., then I make myself unavailable. The window period of capturing assignments is from 2:45 p.m. to 10 at night. If a job is in the system at 4:45 a.m. waiting to be snatched up, then I will grab it.

Tapdancesub

Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At this point in my career I will only accept last minute jobs if i know the teacher or am familiar with the school. Too many schools here do not allow subs to park on the parking lot and I have no intention of driving through surrounding unfamiliar neighborhoods to find a spot to park. I no longer want that stress.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ahhhh, this is my specialty! I'm your last minute sub! I will take those jobs that start in 10 minutes but they know I can't be there until 30 minutes. My district most often will pay from the start of the day for those late jobs.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote