Substitute Teachers

No sub plans

>

twin2

No sub plans
Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How often does this really happen?
When it does happen, how is it remedied?

More than ten years ago there were a few times sub plans were not left for me, but the resource teacher and or other teachers on that grade level team gathered work and made plans. Teachers here are required to have emergency plans but I am not aware of them being pulled by the office. Last year a teacher emailed plans to a teacher on their team, but there was a faculty meeting before school and that teacher could not print out the plans. She was able to tell me what to do to start out the day, arranged for the resource teacher to come into the room to help her until she was able to get plans and materials together for me. She was frustrated by the whole situation, but I was not left without plans.

I just can't believe a teacher could be so irresponsible not to provide sub plans, even if that means emailing them to a fellow teacher to print. I realize things sometimes happens beyond our control and I am not referring to those times. Day to day substitutes should never have to come up with plans themselves.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You’re right, day to day subs should never have to pull lesson plans out of their hat. My district requires all teachers to have emergency sub plans, and most teachers do.

A few years ago, I subbed for a teacher that was frequently absent due to family issues. She NEVER had plans of any kind, not even sub plans. It was always a scramble, but the team leader always helped me get something together. I don’t know how this teacher keeps her job, except that it’s a very specialized area. I finally decided to just say, “No” when I got the last minute call for her class.

In 7 years of subbing, there have only been 3 or so times I haven’t had plans, aside from the situation I just described. In each of the other cases, it was an emergency/sudden severe illness, and I was able to look at previous days’ plans and go from there. Other grade level teachers were very helpful, too.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

boggles the mind
Old 09-25-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If the regular teacher uses an online substitute ordering system like Aesop, and if that teacher knows e-mail then the plans should've been uploaded in the system. It's so easy. Hard to believe that this happens more than anyone thinks.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I posted that it happened to my my first two times subbing recently!

First time was in a small junior high—secretary mentioned there was no plans, no attempt to help me, just shrugged and basically conveyed that I’d have to figure it out. Closest neighboring teacher was the same. No plans or recent lessons to be found. I luckily had brought something and taught my own lesson.

2nd time I knew it was kind of a last minute thing and there weren’t plans, but that classroom was much more organized and had a lot that I built on. I could tell what they had been working on, and I used the textbooks they had and we did some practice/review.

If I didn’t have teaching experience, I can’t imagine what I would have done!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

The irony
Old 09-26-2018, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The irony is the big emphasis on subs following the plans.

Well, if there are none, we literally have to improvise or have a study hall.

I find the school system contradictory at times.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 09-26-2018, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was wondering the same thing when I read the recent thread about the sub who had it happen to her several times. In my school (I do most of my subbing in one school) teachers are supposed to have an emergency sub folder for sudden absences. I've never had to use that though because any teacher I've ever subbed for has left plans. Well almost...last year there was a very last minute switch done to me...I was supposed to be subbing for a reading teacher and a 1st grade teacher got sick there at school. In theory I should have been able to pick up her plans with some help from the same-grade teachers, but her own "plans" were a hot mess. She had a reputation for being very disorganized and the other 1st grade teachers didn't like her very much because she was also lazy.

The push-in reading teacher (who fortunately wasn't the one I was supposed to have been subbing for!) helped me organize the language arts groups which came first in the day, then when they went to PE I got the rest of the day together, using my own experience and help from the other teachers.

That was very unusual though. I've never had it happen before.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It would have been nice if she had emailed the sub plans to the office secretary, instead of a teacher. I've had that happen a couple of times. If I see no plans in the room I'll call the office to see if they were emailed. If they weren't the teacher comes just before the bell and drops off the plans. Doesn't leave much time for reading them, but it's always a relief.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Where I student taught it was a rule that your plans and materials had to be out on the center of your desk with the lesson plans on top. If they weren't you were in trouble. Even as a student teacher I had to follow this rule. As a classroom teacher I followed this rule as well, even if I didn't need to.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

what should be in a plan?
Old 09-28-2018, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This begs that question. A plan is more than a set of instructions. If done well, it includes possible alternatives to ideas or steps that are not received well like "if this happens then do this otherwise...". It includes where to find material and equipment and possibly how to use them right. It would be wonderful if it lists peoples' names, and their location, we can go to for help. A plan might also include a list of time frame for deadlines.

I like plans that include a list of names of students who are helpful or those who are frequent flyers. It would be nice if it also lets a guest teacher know if there's any other adults to serve as extra pair of eyes and how to utilize them for the benefit of students. As a cherry on top, it would be great to have seating charts. This might be necessary for some but I can do without.

I just feel lucky that whenever I go in, there's a set of instructions at least 99% of the time with lists of names of students for roll. I have learned that I can't do without technology in a classroom. I know how to use a PC but not a Mac.

dietcoke99

No sub plans - joke
Old 09-29-2018, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I met the regular teacher in the school - he said that he had no sub plans - I said "Good, I can dance for them." He thought that was pretty funny.

He had been joking, too. He stayed in the class the 1st 1/2 and then, if I remember right, the last class was study hall.

Turned out well.

As a teacher I got in a wreck on the way to school. When I got there they had pulled someone out of their prep period to cover for me. I was excited that all was calm and there were no fires!

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Lack of sub plans
Old 09-29-2018, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've never had a lack of sub plans, but I haven't been subbing that much. In fact, I'm hardly being called at all! I just started subbing this year, I only sub for h.s. I'm in the process of applying to a new district which will give me 3 districts and 4 h.s.'s. I did have a problem with a middle school (I thought I would try it, and it was a fiasco, and don't know what damage that has caused with future assignments, but it was few before that.

dietcoke99

KatieViolet's Message
Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Just be amazingly glad that it was a middle school with regular classes instead of a h.s. with block. Block is a nightmare.

dietcoke99

following plans
Old 09-29-2018, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hate to say this because I know I'll get crap for it, but the teachers that make a big deal of the sub not following the plans exactly, how terrible the sub was, etc. (we had a really bad one on one of threads awhile back who was flipping out with drama all over the place), are almost always, or even ALWAYS female. Males are much more laid back, give you the benefit of the doubt, if everything went well they are happy - not flipping out over every little thing!

It amazes me that these female teachers don't simply exclude that sub and not have all of the drama - they like the drama for some reason.

When I was a teacher, if my class was not on fire when I came back I was as happy as a clam and gave 5/5, always (but we had all good subs and they all deserved it).

By the way, I always give 5/5 as a sub, too, if I can, in any way, even if I have to exaggerate a bit. If I can't give 5/5, I don't give feedback at all. If there is anything to report, I put it in the paper report that I leave for them.

Sorry for the rant.

dietcoke99

no sub plans
Old 09-29-2018, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think you guys need to realize that it isn't easy to have relevant, exciting sub plans that will work for every class they teach (I have tried!). All I could muster up was busy work of crosswords and wordsearches. It isn't as easy as it sounds to get good, relevant, exciting sub plans, that will work for every class you have, and oh, yea, they have to work for whatever topic/place in the year that the emergency happens to fall in. - former teacher.

It's just as hard as subs making/getting their own lesson plans.

spedder1

Today
Old 10-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I got a text last night from the principal of a school I've been subbing at quite a bit asking if I would sub for a teacher who will be out 2 days. I said yes. I went in and another teacher had called in sick. In looking at the 2 classrooms, they decided to put me in the more difficult of the 2. This is a special ed program in a separate district school. There was no sub plan as she wasn't expecting to be gone today. We punted. The teacher did come in later as she had to have some tests, but could work. They were so short of subs that the principal asked if I could stay and be a para in the same classroom. The teacher and I kind of tag teamed the one para who is more into punishing for every issue, some she creates herself, instead of rewarding appropriate behaviors and hard work. At one point she teared up. I was frustrated because one boy was getting the brunt of her frustration. He threw some food so was put into time out. I would have made him clean it up. It would have meant more. Oh well. This retired teacher needs to zip it and let it go.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I sweat buckets if this happens in elementary, but the grade level teachers have come together and have given me plans. When this happens in middle school, it's a study hall/get a book---classes are ususally 45 min-50 min and they can handle that.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote