Help

Substitute Teachers

A week of drills

>

subasaurus

A week of drills
Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last week I had two lockdown drills and two fire drills.

I understand the big importance of them, but I'm starting to go crazy... Had another one today!

One of the cons of subbing at multiple districts.

Anyone else subbing in multiple districts experience "drill burnout?"

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No drill burnout yet. The other day we had a fire drill during recess while I had yard duty. First time I've ever experienced that. The students did really well though.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Good
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good to hear you're having a mellow year thus far. Jealous.

What really gets me is when the office doesn't give me an advanced warning of the drill, and the announcements or VERY loud alarm comes on.

Unsettling to say the least.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district it's required to have one fire drill every week in September, and one real lock-down drill with two practices. A "real" one is when the police come to the school and go around checking all doors. The two practices are full drills but it's just the principal and other staff who check the doors. It's a lot but it's important, so I don't mind. I only sub in one school and the teachers usually always put the drills in their plans, but also the office always tells me.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

fake deaths
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get excited when staff at the EOC question me about my list of missing students! And then I present them with the list of "survivors" but those who are MIA were assigned to be in a fake casualty list so it's a little more authentic.

Subtastic

Old 10-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The worst one was when we had an active shooter drill, and I forgot to lock the door! It was a tech class made up of high school boys, who did not respect me from the get-go and getting them into the adjacent small storage room was like herding sheep. Unfortunately, it was the nearest classroom to the main entrance and the principal came in and yelled at the class for being too slow and then pointing at the door, he yelled, THAT SHOULD ALWAYS BE LOCKED.

I thought for sure, I am banned now. But I survived another day.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

It's a love/hate thing for me.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a love/hate relationship with drills. I love that they are an opportunity to teach. I hate that they sometimes scare the kids. I love that they make us better prepared. So I guess I mostly love them.

We had a problem during a fire drill once--my second graders were at a special in a different part of the building. By the time I caught up to them, two were missing but found quickly. Even though it was a drill it scared the crap out of me due to the reality of the possibilities. We had a pretty intense "class meeting" after it was over and I both read them the riot act and we reviewed our priorities when the alarm sounds. I'm not sure I've ever been so stern with kids. I actually had a para waiting for some of them and would not let them leave until I was satisfied we knew what to do.

The irony is the kids bordered on being angels for the rest of the day. I learned something myself.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote