Substitute Teachers

Long Term Sub position is KILLING ME

>

sciencelvr16

sciencelvr16

Long Term Sub position is KILLING ME
Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am seriously considering quitting a long term sub position after one week.
A little background: I graduated with my BS in Biology 6 months ago (Iím only 22) and I landed this gig at a small middle school that needed a science teacher. I am not credentialed, so they hired me as a long term sub. There is no curriculum, so textbook, the kids are mean and out of control, and no one has even checked on me in the 7 days that Iíve been here. I seriously feel like I was thrown into the ocean with no life raft.
I donít have any pedagogy under my belt and these kids need someone who seriously knows what theyíre doing.
Am I making the right choice?

OH; and they gave me PE! FOR THE WHOLE SCHOOL.

mooba1

Old 09-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Am I reading this correctly? You are teaching Science AND PE? Wowzers, never heard of that, but you did say it was a small middle school.

Itís unacceptable and irresponsible that no one has checked on you in 7 days, and that lack of concern is compounded by not having curriculum or textbooks. How do they expect to hold these kids accountable to the standards if you donít even know what youíre supposed to be teaching?

I would go to the principal and tell him/her you need help. ASAP. It boggles the mind...they have offered you nothing in the way of support, a mentor teacher, training, etc.? Let me guess. That would be a no.

IMO, I think you need to talk to the P and give him/her a chance to rectify the situation post-haste. If no assistance is forthcoming, then by all means, put this school in your rear view mirror.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-18-2018, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I interpreted that the poster has a science degree, and she is long term subbing in PE. Definitely not what you would expect.

I would echo mooba.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Talk to the principal
Old 09-19-2018, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like others posted, talk to the principal and explain your rough situation.

I've tried long term assignments in the past and was not a fan. Too much pressure and abuse for not much pay. It's not really a good deal.

Good luck, and remember it's only temporary.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sciencelvr 16

That sounds crazy but doesn't surprise me in a small district Agree with other posters.
Long term is only worth it if you're trying to obtain a full time position in the same school

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did a long term before that was difficult for me and the one thing I regretted was not going to the principal to ask for specific advice and help. I was afraid of being looked down upon or removed from the position so I tried to work things out on my own. I just didn't have the experienced needed to deal with certain student issues alone. Since that time I have reflected on that assignment, researched ways to deal with the issues that arose, and have changed my educational philosophy to reflect what I learned. Your situation is different, but I think you should reach out to the principal. There may be help to be found, or a possible modification might be made to do the science only portion of the job while a new sub might take the PE portion.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

wilecoyote

it sounds nuts...get out while u still can!
Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds nuts! Get out while u still can!

LTS is a bad deal for the sub usually. Too much work, and not enough pay. And more oftenthan not it doesn't lead to a full time slot. It's really just the districts way of saving money by not hiring a credentialed teacher for the contract.

either way, get out of the PE gig!
wilecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

Followup?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So what did you decide to do?
thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote