Do Substitute Teachers have any rights when banned from a School? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Do Substitute Teachers have any rights when banned from a School?

>

Sub14

Do Substitute Teachers have any rights when banned from a School?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering has anybody challenged being banned from a school, by writing to the Superintendent and won? I'm talking about situations where the school still wants you to sub for them, but a parent goes over the Principal's head and complains to someone higher than them. Then you are unfairly banned from a particular school because of it. And the reason they give is that they feel like the parent may be upset if they see you at the school. Seems like you can Sub at a particular school for many years, build up a good reputation, be reliable etc., and all it takes is one complaint to to get you banned. Do Subs have any rights at the schools/districts at all, when they work for companies like PCMI, EDUSTAFF, etc.?

Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As far as I know, we have never had anyone banned due to a parent complaint. We have requested subs not be called for our building, but that was always teachers, not parents/kids.

We also donít have any companies handling our subs. Ours are all district employees and called by a sub coordinator.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you request a meeting with the principal and someone from board office to try to resolve this issue. I would want to know the specific complaint, and how banning you from the school is beneficial. Also, is the issue one that is typically experienced when other subs are in the building? I would assume the worst thing that could happen is you would still be banned from the building.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

union dues
Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you're paying contributions to your union, you certainly have rights in general but they're limited. Check with a union representative and get to know your organization's channels.

Sub14

I'm not a part of a Union
Old 09-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I work for a Education Staffing Company, so I'm not employed by the District. And we aren't a part of a Union. My question was mainly for the other Substitute Teachers who work at the schools but are employed by one of the Staffing companies (PCMI, EDUStaff, etc.). I'd like to know if any of them have ever gotten banned and wrote to the Superintendent, The Board of Education, etc. to see if the decision could be changed.

Subtastic

Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did complain to one district superintendent, who contacted HR, but to no avail. I left 4 spec ed hs students alone for like 10 minutes because another teacher across the hall asked me to watch her class while she went to the bathroom. The students said I was gone for 25 minutes but that wasn't the case. What I should have done was take them with me. Oh well, lesson learned.
One mistake and you're out despite 3 years of loyal service.

As the other district I got banned from for the crime of reading a poem that touched on the topic of suicide - well that only lasted 2 years. They are desperate for subs, so they switched to a staffing company to increase their sub pool. I've been there twice now. Same principal who banned me either doesn't care or doesn't even remember me from 2 years ago.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a 5th grader take his shirt off, I used humor to get him to put it back on quickly, (sub notes said he was impulsive and to keep an eye on him). class went on smoothly the whole day, and I put it all in the sub notes. I guess I was supposed to make a huge case over it and send him to the office. (except I couldn't leave the classroom, and he was not supposed to leave the room without an adult). If I thought he needed to leave, I'd have called for someone to get him, but he was 100% manageable as soon as it was over, and the class responded very well to his improved behavior. but I was banned on my way home by the company I worked for. I had several weeks of long term set up already, and I also lost two other districts with them. so...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have been banned from seven schools, but I only know the reason at three of them.

Since I work every day, I have chosen not to challenge them, but there are three in particular that I am considering investigating since the sub tech on leave is not at liberty to discuss the bans with me.
I had only great experiences at these schools, so the bans are troubling
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-22-2018, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I work for a Education Staffing Company, so I'm not employed by the District.
That is a critical statement to the question. (I will confess I'm employed by the district and have never been banned, so I have no direct experience.)

Quite frankly, one of the reasons districts use staffing companies is so they don't have to deal with these sorts of issues. What isn't clear to me is who actually "banned" you... the school or the staffing company?

As you can see from the other comments, it doesn't take a lot to get "banned" by a school.

But the system you're in puts you between a rock and a hard place. You work for the staffing company so any employment issues are with them, not the school. The school is a customer of the staffing company. The customer has rights that an employer does not. The staffing company is more interested in keeping their customer happy than their employees.

In the final analysis, it would seem like you'd need to convince the staffing company to resolve the issue with the customer (school). Part of this equation is whether or not there is additional work available in the area... the staffing company you work for is supposed to find you work. If they are doing that at other schools (it's not clear to me if you are banned at the school or district level), they aren't particularly motivated to resolve the issue at the school where you are not welcome.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Banning Subs
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Honestly, I would not work for a school/class/teacher who didn't WANT me there. We are desperately needed in many other places that we don't have to beg, in my opinion. It's not that we have insurance (at least WE don't), tenure, or anything else, so why beg? Just go somewhere else.

I might have to "suck it up," but that is what I would do. If I had done a really great job in the past, they will miss me and realize their mistake, that would be my retribution. It's not the perfect solution, but that's what I would do.

***I don't know if this will give the post that I am replying to, but it is the one from Sub14's message about being banned from a school because of a parent complain.***

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

The Principal and Teachers do want me there
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

dietcoke99 The Principal and Teachers do want me to Sub at the school. The only reason I was banned was because the parent went to someone who works for the district, who's position is above the Principal. The Principal told the parent to put her issue in writing and give it to her, but that the parent decided to go over her head instead. So then that took the decision out of her hands to not ban me. And from what I hear this parent is a known trouble maker at the school. This isn't the first time she has tried to get a teacher in trouble about her kid. And her kid is a trouble maker who constantly causes problems for teachers and subs.

The Superintendent is above the person that the parent went to, which is why I'm considering going to the Superintendent about the matter. I have been subbing at this school for many years, know many of the kids there, and and am a preferred sub for many of the teachers there. At this point rather I decide to go back to Sub there or not I think the ban should be lifted, and that it was unjustified in the first place.

dietcoke99

banned from a school?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

"Banning from a school"

I'm wondering how you would know if you had been banned from a school? Do you just not get calls for awhile and assume you're banned? I'm asking because this thread had been talking about it and I happened to have a bad situation at school today. I'm wondering if I will be banned from the school and if so, how would I know it?

MaineSub

Old 09-27-2018, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I'm wondering if I will be banned from the school and if so, how would I know it?
The specific answers to many of the questions asked on this forum must be found at the school or district.

Without additional information, your questions are difficult to answer. (And I'm not asking for details!)

Will you be banned? Frankly, it depends on the severity of the "bad situation." It might also depend on how you ultimately handled that situation. Whenever I have a situation at school that I think could be problematic, I communicate with the regular teacher, sub coordinator, and admin. I'd encourage you to follow up and do likewise.

How will you know? Again, it depends on your district/school and the nature of the situation... the most likely way is you'll stop being offered assignments. If the situation was considered serious enough, you may be informed.

When in doubt, be proactive. Don't wait for something to happen. Sometimes problems can be nipped in the bud.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Parent outs sub
Old 09-27-2018, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sub 14,

Believe it or not, I was thinking about this earlier today (!) and I wondered if it would work to have all of the teachers (I'm assuming this is middle/high) that the kid has ban you. That way you are still at that school, still have the *other* teachers, and hopefully the parent will be happy with that. It isn't a perfect solution, obviously, but maybe doable? Have you thought about this?

Sirsubalot

Old 09-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In one of my districts on two occasions, I was informed by e-mail from our sub tech that I was banned due to a bad evaluation by the teacher. In one class, I enhanced her awful lesson plans and she did not like that.The other one I have no idea

On another occasion I was called in to the superintendents office because a rude aide did not like me in a special ed class.

For one other school I have a long thread about here that is quite old now

The other three are simply not on my location list through subfinder express, and the sub tech is not at liberty to tell me why.

Each notification can be different. I found out four different ways.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Ima Teacher's Message @ banning subs
Old 09-29-2018, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What is the reason for banning the subs from your "building?" I put that in quotes because I've seen it on here, but I guess that is for large districts because I don't know what it is, except it sounds like little schools w/in schools, which makes me think it is for large districts (of which we have none).

NJSubteacher

Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I cannot understand why a school would ban anyone without telling them why. It reminds me of that movie Office Space when they decided to just stop giving that poor guy a paycheck and moved him into the basement. There must be some laws against that. Either way, in some cases, you may be able to feel out a school and get the idea that you are not really welcomed or wanted there. In those cases, I'd just cut my losses and stick with schools where you are treated well and respected.

A particular sub friend of mine was even getting phone calls at home from the school admins questioning his sub reports and he made the smart decision and told them he will voluntarily just not take jobs at that certain school anymore, while the dust clears. I will not get into the entire reason on here, but it was a long complicated issue due to "too much documentation that put the blame on certain admins and proving them not doing their jobs properly". They admired his professionalism and were fine with that. It kept him from being banned completely from the district. He did the right thing by documenting everything, but it actually got him into more trouble because it threw some "higher ups" under the bus.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote