Substitute Teachers

Annoying other sub

>

elepen

Annoying other sub
Old 09-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to vent!!!!!
Last week a teacher yelled at my class because they were too loud in line at dismissal
At the same school today there was a mix up at PE with students going to art, dance, PE
I had walked my group to PE but it was in the music room because it was inside PE
I really got confused and the same teacher yelled at me that I needed to be with my students and not left unsupervised
I come to find out she is a sub not a teacher
Mean girl sub !!!!!!!!!!!!
I love this school and great kids
I guess I should be grateful she's a sub and not a teacher

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure that I followed all that you said, but I agree with disliking when another teacher yells at my class. It really feels like they're chastising ME, and I sometimes wonder if they enjoy a little power trip from it.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What I got out of this is you do not see subs as teachers. Remember they are teachers just like you are.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would he upset if another sub yelled at me or my students. That sub might think she is helping you by yelling at your class, but she actually is causing a bigger problem. The lack of respect shown by yelling at at a peer for being mixed up would really get under my skin.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all your posts
Klarabell im a retired teacher who is subbing and I respect other subs and see them as teachers.
I think it's pretty fresh of another sub to yell at my class and also to say that I need to be with my class and not leave them unsupervised which I would never do !!!!!! I wish I was good at combacks but I also don't like confrontations.
Most teachers and subs are really nice.

Benton262

Benton262

Avoid Them
Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I avoid teachers who are rude to me during an assignment. I quite often have more years than they do in education. I taught once , but they wrongly assume that I am some novice. I will never take their classes. They have no tact, and I just go along with the situation, but I will avoid that teacher's room and ones that collaborate with him/her at all costs. Admin do not care about subs and ignore their problems. It will probably be my last year subbing. Teaching is hard enough without another one of many micromanaging bosses around you all day. As a regular teacher, at least you have full pay even though it's low. Subs work for far less ( peanuts ) and all they need is more abuse from someone else. I am seeking a full time adult education job. I am praying that I get it.

luv2teach2017

Models disrespect
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"That sub might think she is helping you by yelling at your class, but she actually is causing a bigger problem. The lack of respect shown by yelling at at a peer...."

This is spot on! It's hard enough for subs to manage a bunch of kids we don't know, but when other teachers and staff treat a sub disrespectfully, in front of the students, it sends the wrong message and makes our job that much harder!

If I'm being disrespected by staff at a school and don't feel supported, it's most likely due to the school culture. So I just opt not to return. Don't need it. There are plenty of jobs available elsewhere where I get respect.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-26-2018 at 04:23 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thatís what good about day to day subbing at different schools you can pick and choose. Iíve had teachers do this but then apologize to me but this one nada

JessJeff

Old 09-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One time a para yelled at me and I yelled back. She shut up real fast. There are some rude people who think that they can scare you because youíre new and youíre a sub. Put them in their place and let them know that you wonít be pushed around.
JessJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Can't we all just get along?
Old 09-28-2018, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No, not really... at least not perfectly. I have the good fortune to sub in a relatively small rural school and have more longevity than many of the teachers. Overall, we are a good team. But not without our occasional problems. The key is remembering that we are all well-intentioned but also human.

I've had regular teachers correct my students... it is embarrassing but also appreciated because the general spirit is we have each other's backs. A lot of it is communication. A Kinder teacher once "yelled" at me for helping her kids get ready for recess... (I happened to be walking by and did some zippers, etc.) I've since learned that she's very focused on getting the kids to be independent. Sometimes it's simply about style.

As subs, I think we are challenged to act as teachers and school employees without overstepping--a little conservatism is not a bad thing. If I see a serious issue outside of my classroom I'll step in, but I make certain to catch up with the responsible teacher and let them know the details and what I did. I was walking down the hall one day when a fifth grader saw me and came running out... "Mr. B, we don't have a teacher!" Due to a miscommunication she was right. I called the office, stayed with the kids until the sub could be found. A part of me wanted to tell the sub who'd left them alone "stay with your kids" but it seemed more important to solve the problem.

I too have had to confront paras who can get a little big for their britches because they are convinced they are smarter I am. I'll acknowledge that they are familiar with routines and actually ask for their input because they can help me benchmark--how is the noise level compared to usual?" But I have clear expectations of them, just as I do the students.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote