Can teachers themselves take subs off aesop? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Can teachers themselves take subs off aesop?

>

Dsrt

Dsrt

Can teachers themselves take subs off aesop?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can teachers themselves take subs off aesop? Or do teachers need to tell administrators (principal) to take subs. teachers off aesop? The teacher no longer wants the sub.in their classroom. How does this work at your school/district?

twin2

Might be different here, but....
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teachers are able to list their favorite five subs withing Aesop. When they put a job in, those five subs see the jobs before anyone else. They can remove a sub from their favorites list. If they do that, that sub will not see the jobs that they put into the system until the new five favorite subs have had a chance to take the job. I do not know if a teacher can block a sub completely from their classroom. I believe a teacher can only report to the person in charge of building subs that they do not believe a sub should be in the building. That person would block the sub from the building, but does not have the authority to block the sub from other schools in the district.

If you are not getting any jobs from that school, you may contact the person in charge of subs for the building and ask why you haven't been seeing sub jobs and if there is anything you can do to get more sub jobs.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

aesop
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe ours can block subs from their rooms, but I'm not sure how they set it up.

If the job is already booked, though, I expect the office has to change it.

For the future, could the teacher call the sub they actually want and let them know to be on Aesop at a certain (preferably odd) time that they are going to book to job?...That might not work if people are using those automatic booking apps, though.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-27-2018, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you no longer wish the sub to cover your class, prearrange a sub you prefer and put their name/ employee number in when you put the absence in Aesop. That is how it is done in my district.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

wanting to ban/get particular subs
Old 09-27-2018, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can exclude subs on AESOP if your district has signed up for it. I think it is on the main page. As many as you want.

You can also put in preferred subs, as many as you want, but they recommend 5, since if you put them all in, what is the use?

When I was a teacher I would call my favorite sub (though they were all good) and tell him that I was about to call in my absence and to check his computer in 5 minutes.

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

sub ban/preferred
Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I forgot to say that I believe a sub on a preferred list gets called first (as someone else said). I also think that if you put in an absence far enough in advance (over 3 days, I think), the subs on your preferred list get called first, but I'm not sure.

JessJeff

Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When putting in the assignment, the teacher can request that the sub not be allowed to take that job, or the teacher can request that the sub be removed if the job was already accepted. In my district, the teachers donít put the assignment in themselves, so they canít remove a sub themselves. They can only make a request.
JessJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

As a sub...
Old 09-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know that I have been removed by a teacher a few times. Accidentally given the job, when the teacher had arranged for someone else, or the teacher finds out that another sub can do additional days, after originally one needing one day, and preferring only one sub, etc. No big deal.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

teacher dumps sub
Old 09-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What makes me feel better about this is that it sort-of levels the playing field with what we have. We can easily accept or reject a job based on who the teacher is because it tells us. Seems like the teacher should be able to do the same.

Nobody should be able to take away a job after it has been accepted by the sub, though, (unless it is something weird and then they should be notified), but common sense isn't so common, anymore.

I would have a hard time not taking it personally, though, if I found out that a teacher put me on his/her exclusion list. I asked H.R. a couple of times, if there was a way that we could access our feedback, or if the district could change their setting. Apparently not. I told her that in order for us to get it we have to know a teacher who would let us see our feedback (I learned that on this thread ). Embarrassing. Still nothing. I'm still looking for that teacher.

I actually keep a list of teachers, by school, as a word document where I write in a score of 0-5 and notes for future use. When and if I give an *official* review, though, I always give a 5 and good comments. If I can't do this, I don't do it at all. I also did this when I was a teacher b/c I wanted the sub to come back.

Nietzsche

Old 09-29-2018, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I notice on these post regarding Aesop that people assume all districts are set up the same. They are not. Aesop has many capabilities but most districts are not using all the functionality. For example, the preferred sub list. I sub for 10 districts and it doesn't make a difference if you are a teacher's preferred sub. It goes out to all subs at the same time. One district sends out an e-mail that I am being notified as a preferred sub that a job has been posted. What good does that e-mail do? Any sub could have picked up that job with 5 seconds of it being posted while I read the e-mail 30 minutes later.

I don't know if Aesop has the functionality for teachers to block particular subs. It would not be difficult but I'm not aware of any district giving teachers that ability. Many districts do not want to do anything that would limit having a sub in a classroom.

Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

When I was teaching full time
Old 10-01-2018, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I did have the ability to block subs. I only blocked two subs, and one was before AESOP. I told the secretary to take her off the list for me. She was a walking disaster and ended up only being on the elementary lists. She just wasn't good at middle school or high school. The other, who is a college friend, was a disaster too. I blocked her, because of complaints by the students and neighboring teachers. Wonderful person, but again, not good at the middle school level.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In the past, I have actually seen jobs on AESOP that mention in the notes regarding a particular sub NOT to take this assignment. Not very professional since everyone can see a particular sub named. I have also seen male gym teachers put in the notes "Male Sub Only" so they can monitor locker rooms. However, in my district, a teacher simply has to let the secretary of the school know they do not want a certain sub and request they are switched. In most cases, they are switched instead of cancelled. There is a high demand for subs this year here in NJ, and they normally find somewhere else to place them.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote