Help

Substitute Teachers

So tired!

>

spedder1

So tired!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have subbed at the same school for the past 2 days. It is a separate public special ed program for students who need more support than they can get in self-contained classrooms in regular schools. I love the school and staff. I've known the principal for a long time. However, I am worn out! They have had a shortage of paraprofessionals for quite awhile. They've had a few of their small staff of teachers absent due to medical reasons or family emergencies. I was supposed to sub for one of those teachers yesterday and today. Instead, I was placed in different very touch customer classrooms. The principal knows I can hold my own. Both days I ended up a a sub paraprofessional, floating between rooms. I did get teacher pay for both. I am worn out. Tomorrow is an institute day. I can't wait to sleep in!
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whyizzit those of us who can handle the tough customers always get assigned to them? Yeah, I know. “But you’re so good with those kids”. Yeesh. Enjoy your day off!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

special ed classes.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate to say this again (and I won't again, I promise), but this is why I don't sub for spec. ed. - except for recently when they changed my assignment when I got there - I wonder if it was because it was my first day there so they gave me the class that nobody else wants - except for that extremely talented individual! I end up with special ed. classes with no aide and 10 students, all different. I can't win. Luckily I had a parent in one class.

I'm not the only one, either, at least around here, because at least half of all the calls I get are for some sort of special ed.

I don't make enough money for that ($110/day). Unless I am trying to bust my butt to get a teaching job in that school, or something like that, it's not for me. I don't like to whine about how much money I make (or don't make), but I'm just saying that "it is what it is," and I'm not going to bust my butt for that. OK - I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, so go ahead, but it is what most people are thinking, whether they admit it or not. Sorry.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Retired special ed teacher
Old 10-03-2018, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a retired special education teacher, so know the quality of subs I used to get when my favorites were not available. I taught kids with significant disabilities. I enjoy the challenge. Once I get to know the kids and their triggers, it is much easier.
Kathy

dietcoke99

sp. ed. subs
Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sure those regular subs wished they would have known what they were getting into. They were probably wishing that they were in the classes that they knew better, too! If they were "favorites" who dealt with them all of the time and knew about everything much better, I'm sure they would have been much better, too. Perhaps the "favorites" were favorite because they knew much more about that particular job? Just saying. Thought I should defend "those" subs.

dietcoke99

disrespecting subs
Old 10-03-2018, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am wondering, and I KNOW, that I will get crap for this, but I am truly just wanting to get the observations of others here on the list.

(I am a female, by the way, who taught for 10 years and now sub).
When I was teaching we never complained about a sub - no, that's not right - one time a teacher was saying that there was some trash on the floor .

We didn't LOOK for things to complain about - not following 10b on the lesson plan wasn't on the look-out for a "fire" in our classrooms and a reason to bad-talk that sub, especially around other subs, and put them on a "bad list."

Have these "amazing" teachers never been off of their lesson plan, even a little? Did they treat themselves the same way they tore this sub apart?

What I am getting at here, and what I would like to know from you guys, is if it seems to you that female teachers complain more than males? It seems that male teachers "go with the flow" more than females and are willing to give others the benefit of the doubt.

When I am offered a job, I take it either way, but I prefer it be a male teacher.

I am wanting to know observations, not screaming and yelling, please.

spedder1

Not favorite subs
Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wanted competwnt subs in my self-contained low in iden e. Lassroom, not ones that sat at my desk and played on an iPad or did crossword puzzles while my paras did the lessons and their own daily care jobs. Teachers know that I will jump in as a sub and do what it takes to get thw job done. This qeek I roileted kids and changed diapers. I fed kids, cleaned them up and carried out the lessons. I have the same work ethic when I am in the gen ed rooms. I am also requested by gen ed tea hers and principals.

dietcoke99

A goodess!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow! I wish I were a God, too, but the rest of us are down to Earth. I guess there are people that think they are the best people on the planet, but "me thinks you boast too much" comes to my mind.

I'm seriously thinking of just getting off of this list. I'm so tired of people that think that their (you know what) doesn't stink. I've never heard such arrogant people before in my life. I'm not like that, nor anybody I know is like that (Thank God), been arrogant, nor do I want to be, just because of people and things that are written like this (sorry for the run-on but I'm too exhausted to fix it at this point).

Things like this are so negative and I believe bring down the rest of the list. It leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Why are they on this list if they already know everything?

I'm sorry and I think everybody for the information I've received. Part of the reason that I joined is that I've taught for 10 years (and am now subbing), so I've been on both sides of the coin. But, since you have people that know everything, there is no reason for me to be here. I hate to say this for sure, so I guess I'll stay a little longer. I hate to say I am quitting and then wish I had stayed a little longer. I'm sure this person is a FEMALE, though, like I said of most whiners.

dietcoke99

A GODDESS (that's what I meant last post)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

By the way, if a sub does a really bad job, it is probably more the teacher's fault than the sub's. I've been both, and this is the truth - whether those who are GODS believe it or not.

Well, again, I thank all of you that did not know everything . I just feel like this list is WAY to negative for me. It's like (some) people are throwing darts at the others. I want a list that lifts me up instead of brings me down - I'm not learning anything, nor am I able to help anybody else with my concurrent knowledge, at this point. Overall I think I've been pretty positive, but I can't handle this anymore.

Good luck to everybody! See you on the flip side

Kailey123

Old 10-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Dietcoke....I'm sure you realize that there are some really crappy subs out there. Subs who show up and play on their phones, or who let the kids play on iPads half the day, or who don't follow the lessons plans AT ALL. etc.... So those of us who are not like that and who are in demand... well we know it. It's not bragging to say that I'm a good sub. I know I am...I'm reliable, I like the kids, I can be counted on to stick to the lesson as much as possible. Of course if I don't finish something or don't get to something the teachers understand. I am only a sub after all and am doing my best. But yes, I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that I'm a good sub. That's why i'm in such demand. And I am positive that I'm not the only one here, or in my district, who can do a good job.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Thank you, Kailey123
Old 10-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yikes! I am in high demand, especially in the special ed classrooms. I had to limit the schools that I would go to this year. I had 2 different administrators call before school started to set up monthly sub dates for IEP meetings and PLCs. I don't think it's negative to complain about subs who really have no business being in their positions. My district is large and short of subs, so the ones who have been subbing for upteen years and are in their 80s are at least warm bodies.
To DietCoke if you are still reading. I didn't mean to come off as negative or superior. I was an excellent Special ed teacher when I was teaching and take those same qualities into subbing.
Kathy

dietcoke99

Arrogant Subs
Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Well, I thought I would jump back on here just to see what has happened.

Not surprised.

I am now a LAZY sub because I wanted an aide in my special ed classes to help me fill their needs? (10 differently "abled" students, each period, not knowing any of them for a single minute). <sigh>

teabreak

Goodness
Old 10-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

As a special ed teacher (and former sub) I appreciate any sub that comes into my room. No, you don't get paid more to sub in my place just like I don't get paid more to be a special ed teacher. I do, however, know which subs work best with our students and they are the ones that are willing to get to know the kids in the short amount of time they are with them.

I am lucky that I am at a secondary level. I think elementary teachers and subs have the hardest jobs in the business! The other part of our business as teachers/subs is that if you are good, you are going to be asked to work with students that most don't want to. Nearly everyone want the "easy" class. Somedays I do too, but I will invite any sub into our space, and if they are the ones that are not trying to engage, then they will not be invited back.

Spedder, we both know how tiring it can be to work with students with high needs. I hope you got the rest you needed. As for the subs that come into my room to work with out students....Hats off to you!
teabreak is online now   Reply With Quote
JustPassingBy

JustPassingBy

There’s A Fit for Everyone I Think
Old 10-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I’m a good and reliable substitute teacher, and I bet all people on this thread are good and reliable too. People that don’t care about doing a great job or not interested in this field in some sort would not be here. Substituting teaching can be stressful even without adding students with special needs because we have a lot of first days back-to-back if we have not found our fit with a particular class, student population, school, or teacher. I have heard stories about bad substitute teachers that don’t care to help the students, but I have never encountered them.

What I do know from my experiences was that with some classes I shined more than others, and I usually got repeated jobs from those classes which I’m always thankful to get. I’m cautious with taking any substitute jobs with students with special needs mainly because of liability and hoping to possess the knowledge to help all of us to have a very successful and rewarding day. I can’t prepare with strategies to reach all of the students and no school is invested in me with training for a particular student like their teachers receive. The school is lucky to have the OP, and she can use her talents. I know people that work with special needs need breaks because it is stressful and challenging work, and I’m glad OP got hers.