Substitute Teachers

not that job

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

not that job
Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Oh no, not taking that job where I get to do nothing. I really don't want to get paid for doing nada. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice break from the usual but there's something that's inherently wrong or I feel unethical for taking some job with absolutely nothing to do, not even supervise students. Why do they put these jobs up when they can just do internal coverage?

I get why someone might pick up but not me today.

NJSubteacher

Old 10-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just curious....what type of job is it where you do absolutely nothing? In my districts, the only jobs that are like that are special Ed ICS and sometimes classroom asst. Especially in the upper grades where I do not know the subject matter well enough to help the kids and end up sitting in the back of the room every period, feeling worthless. I always try to avoid those jobs unless it is a half day.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could be that it is a classroom with a student-teacher present.

I'd take this kind of job to make up for those days that I have 2 coverages and lunchroom duty forcing me to eat lunch as I supervise students.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

doesn't exist
Old 10-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"what type of job is it where you do absolutely nothing? ... sitting in the back of the room every period, feeling worthless"

It was for "guidance". The last time I took this job, the poor clerk had to assign me coverage to teachers that did not want to leave their posts. The guidance counselor left no instructions either. I don't mind the idea of coteaching but when this happened last time, the regular teachers were more annoyed than relieved. Can you imagine? I was there to "relieve" them but they had stayed and were there for their classes. I felt that I was more of an intrusion than help or relief.

spedder1

2 students today
Old 10-09-2018, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I subbed for a first year teachwr who has 2 elementary students with severe autism. They changed their schedules to shorten their days due to behavioral issues. Except for both challenging me at first this morning, they were very pleasnt the rest of the day. I had 2 paraprofessionals in the room, too. The teacher gets 2 planning periods a day, but because of the shortened day, she gets them back to back until the end of the day. I did have a nice talk with the paras, though. One child got si k shortly before they left, so she will be down to 1 tomorrow. That would make me insane.

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Sounds like a "floater" job
Old 10-10-2018, 12:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've taken floater jobs like that where the teachers were like: "What? I didn't know I had a meeting today!"

I felt like the bearer of bad news. I was the messenger that was hated, coming in and kicking them out of their rooms. Lol.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last Friday of the school year. Monitoring middle school kids all day in the auditorium with another sub, because the district doesn't pay substitutes enough to make it worthwhile to go there. From time to time a teacher comes in and tells them they are too loud and glares at us like it's our fault. And I had cafeteria duty on top of that! Day I wished I'd stayed home.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a half day job where the first three hours were cafeteria monitoring and the last hour sharing duty with the teacher when I took some of the kids to the computer lab. A very boring day
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote