Help

Educational Technology

Suggestions for Teacher Personal Device

>

1stMinerEleEd

Suggestions for Teacher Personal Device
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently a student teacher, looking to get a device that I will be able to use in my future years as an educator. I am trying to decide if I want to go with a tablet, with a keyboard accessory, or a 2-in1. I am not looking for a laptop, as i definitely want something I will be able to use as a tablet when necessary.

I am not a big fan of iPads, but I am aware of their popularity in the schools. My question for any teachers, especially new teachers, who may have purchased a personal device to use in the classroom: Is there any major advantages to either side (tablet vs 2-in-1, Android vs iOS vs windows)?

I understand many districts provide a device or laptop for Teacher use, but I am looking more for a personal device that I would be able to use in the classroom.

If it makes a difference, I will be certified for elementary education in Missouri, which includes grades 1-6, and plan on teaching in either 4th or 5th grade. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

1stMinerEleEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly I would buy the device that suits your needs now. Every school is different and will provide different resources, some will have projectors, some will have tvs, some will have nothing. I have an apple tv in my classroom, so apple devices are useful to me, and an android tablet would not work at all. In one of our classrooms we have a smart tv that can screenshare any kind of device (so jealous of that one). However in another school you might need to be more familiar with windows devices. If you are buying something now then buy something that you will use now. What do you want a device for? How will you use it?

As a technology leader I am well aware of the life span of devices too. An average teacher laptop is ready to be replace after 3 years. Mine is ready to be thrown under a bus after 2 - 2 1/2 years. It all depends on the teacher and how much use the device gets. Mine is in constant heavy use. Other teachers will find their laptop still useable after 5 years. Our iPads have an approximate lifespan of 3 years before they need to be upgraded. Desktop computers last a lot longer. Technology moves so quickly and the way that we use it today will be ancient history in as little as 3 years - If you don't actually need a device now, then I suggest you wait and get the latest tech that suits your needs when you are in the classroom.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-04-2016, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Jenny.

I don't know how you are thinking of using it in the classroom. I assume for your use in the classroom, not students. I use an ipad and a laptop in class in a variety of ways, but I do not let students use either one unless in an emergency. I have too much personal, plus teacher stuff on it for me to be comfortable letting kids use it long. I keep teacher notes, use different apps that I have set up, for communicating with staff and families, grades, etc for kids to have access to, plus I don't want them messing the stuff up!

So, get what you think you would like to use.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Personal technology
Old 10-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with what the others have said: certain districts will lean in various directions in terms of platform, etc.

You might consider a Chromebook and go with the Google platform. They are smaller than typical laptops since they don't have a hard drive but all of your stuff is stored and accessible "on the cloud." Easy to transport too.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

1stMinerEleEd

Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To answer the question about it's use, it would be for personal and professional use within the classroom and at home. It would not be intended for student use, as with kahluablast, it would have too much important information to entrust with students.

I was more looking for advice on which devices are better suited with the resources available for teachers (apps, operating systems, was of data input, etc) I love Android, and would honestly love to just buy the new Google Pixel tablet, but I've heard that Android offers fewer quality apps that are useful for education (as opposed to the Apple app store).

1stMinerEleEd is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use the school provided technology for school use, and my personal technology mostly for personal use. I may do school related work at home on my personal stuff, but never take it to school! So my suggestion is to buy what you want to use for you.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote