Educational Technology

Animal research sites

>

upnorthgirl

Animal research sites
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,
My students are researching animals, and I have a few good sites available for them, but they aren't finding all the information they would like. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some more comprehensive, kid-friendly sites I may have overlooked.
The ones they are using are: National Geo. Kids, Animal Fact Guide, San Diego Zoo
I signed up for Go Peddle for older kids, but haven't heard back yet.
These sites are not so helpful, but we have tried: Ranger Rick, National Zoo, Especies Fact Sheets, Softschools, Wild Kratts.
Thanks!!

upnorthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 02-02-2016, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are a Preschool-Grade 1 school. Our school has a subscription to PebbleGo. Students can access the site in the library, in the classroom and even from home. It was a little pricey, but we think it is worth it. The first year the parent/teacher organization funded it. Our principal heard good feedback from the teachers and put it into our school budget so we could continue with the subscription this year.

We have 8 student iPads in our classrooms this year. Our K students go on Pebble Go for "Listen to Reading" during Daily 5 at this time of year; however, by the end of the year, they will use that site to write informational reports about animals on their own. First grade also has their students use the databases to write biographies and informational reports about animals.

When I taught first grade, I had a class subscription to National Geographic Young Explorer magazine. I loved that magazine. The photographs were beautiful and my students were able to get basic information and read interesting facts. Now the magazine is available online. I am not familiar with the magazine for the older grades so I am not sure how much more in depth the magazine gets at that level. I kept some whole class sets of some of the issues from Grade 1. My kindergarten students love looking through them and following along as I read them. Some of the more advanced K students can read them.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 02-06-2016, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

DKfindout is a fun site with information about animals.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote