High School

Need Help Please-Gradebook

>

holly89

Need Help Please-Gradebook
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I'm a new high school teacher and am trying to figure out how to set up my gradebook. I am just feeling overwhelmed with how much assignments should be worth and how to balance it all out. I was hoping people could give me advice on how you set up your gradebook. I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

holly89 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use total points - assignments can be worth as little as 5 and as much as 300 or more depending on the amount of work that goes into it - that works well for me and it is easy for students and parents to understand.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To make it easy for me, my students, and parents, all assignments are worth 109. Students are given percentages. A teacher next door weighs everything. It has been a nightmare for her. Also, it has caused some of her students to fail her class because of how much some assingments are weighted. Another teacher uses points. The way thus teacher does it, the points give her students better grades. Does your corporation have a policy on this?
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Didactasaurus

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used a total point system before, but now I am using the criterion system designed by the IB for their Middle Years Program.

Assign criteria based on skills or major learning objective categories. For example, for English my current criteria are
Criterion A: Analysis
Criterion B: Organization and Citation
Criterion C: Text Production (writing craft, rhetoric, evidence to support)
Criterion D: Use of Language (all the grammar, spelling, vocab, etc.)

Each of these is graded over 8 and then at the end, they are added and the sum score over 32 is then banded on a 1-7 scale.

A single assignment shouldn't show all aspects of grading, maybe just a B and C, or A by itself. The advantage is that the students know what to focus on in any task and when they receive a grade based on criterion objectives, they know where their weaknesses and strengths are.

You may have to render 1-100 or A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- type grades, but you can adapt this criteria based system to any of those in the end.
Didactasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stupidbaker

Total Points
Old 11-14-2015, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the total point crowd.
I explained the following to my students:
Spz.you have a test of 3 really easy questions and get 0%. Next you have a test of 97 really difficult questions and get 100%.
Most thought the average would be 50% because that is what they are used to from other teachers.
But the example requires little to convince students that total points should be used.
Warning:
The students go back to their other teachers and explain. The other teachers realize they have their gradebook set up wrong, get mad at you and scrutinize you and joke about you.

I guess I could comment here on daily effort. Well, just because I have seen a lot of districts do weird things like requiring 50% just for effort. If they do that, I suggest you require all work (thinking or calculations) to be shown and grade neatness and completeness only. You really don't know about effort - such as on homework - they could have just copied. Then you can usually norm-reference the grades on homework. Also you can give the answers before they do the homework. You might tell students that if they do not get the correct answer, you expect them to redo the problem until it is right. You might give multiple choice questions (with loaded choices).
Really though, I think it is best just to grade tests so as to show what students actually have learned on a criterion reference basis.

Stupidbaker is offline   Reply With Quote