Substitute Teachers

Will you be subbing the fist week?

>

firstyearsub

firstyearsub

Will you be subbing the fist week?
Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just wondering if anyone is subbing the first week and what your toughts on it are. This will be my first year subbing and I am not sure if I should sub the first week. I am really excited, but I have read some older posts on this board about subbing the first week. What are your thoughts? Should I even bother since I am a new sub? Or should I wait until everything has settled down?

Sirsubalot

Old 07-22-2017, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends largely on the district.

I usually start working by the 3rd day of the year in my largest district, but probably not until after the first week or two in my other two districts.

But I have been subbing for 20 years, so it might take you longer to get your first job.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you might want to let the sub coordinator know that you are available for long term assignments. This will increase your chances of working right away.

Some schools begin the year with no permanent teacher hired for some classes.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

No
Old 07-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of my districts start around August 25th the other three start the Wednesday after Labor Day, so I usually start making myself available the Monday after Labor Day, I want the kids to have the first few days with their teacher under their belt and to be working on something.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Might want to hold off
Old 07-23-2017, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

IMO, you might want to wait a week or two, until the classroom teacher has the routines firmly established, and the kids are back in the swing of things. I taught for 30 years and this wil be my 6th year of subbing, but I still don't take any jobs the first week.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-24-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

School starts on the 28th of August. Unless I get a request from my regulars, I won't start till after Labor Day. I would like a bit of a break after getting my kids back to their respective colleges.i have a lot of running around the first part of August.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Subbing
Old 07-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am subbing the first week for a friend. It is an indefinite long term position in my old building, in my old classroom, with some of my former students. I know the curriculum like the back of my hand and can maneuver through the online portion of the curriculum. It's a self-contained special ed classroom with my same paras. It'll be old home week!
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 07-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would wait a couple of weeks so that the students have been taught the routines and rules.
If you're trying to get a full time job then go for long term or asap.
I'm retired so I'd rather wait unless it was for a friend
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Not in general
Old 07-29-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't really look for work the first few days (like, check the on-line system) because I like to get my own student settled in and I'm generally busy getting the house back in order after summer.

But I do have a lot of experience, and I have friends at my local elementary, so I would do it for them if they called me in an actual emergency. (I'm thinking of the "a teacher got in a car accident on the way to school" sort of emergency.)

I think you'll find that most teachers will try really hard not to miss the first few days, since establishing routines is important to them as well, so I doubt there will be much daily work anyway.

(But, as others mentioned, if you're looking for long term, that can be a different story!)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would do the first week since I mostly only sub for one school (elementary). Even if the kids don't know the routines yet *I* do. Plus, unless it's kindergarten (where I'd have an assistant anyway) I know most of the kids already.

What I won't do is the LAST week of school. No way.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Petra0688

Lack of Calls
Old 08-15-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The district where I sub. at rarely calls subs. for days, weeks after summer, holiday breaks too.

Petra0688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ciel

Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Nope. I'm not even thinking of it, though I'm sure if I bring it up that some teachers ALREADY took off I'd be forced to take the jobs. I have plans today (today is the second day of school, and there are absences! Seriously.), and the next day that jobs are available, I also have plans. I subbed a Friday during the first week one time, and would never do it again. It was horrible. They can start asking next week, I'm out this week lol. Or even better, after Labor Day. There is no way I would sub the first week back. Tbh, I am amazed they are allowed to take off this fast.
Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote

SpEdtoPhysics

Nope
Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

All three of my districts started back August 17 under a District of Innovation waiver to the statewide August 28 start date.

I won't start subbing until after Labor Day, because the hubby and I choose to vacation the first week or two of the school year. Empty campgrounds and quick service at the restaurants. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
SpEdtoPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote