Help

Substitute Teachers

Approaching long-term subbing

>

Reddy

Approaching long-term subbing
Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Starting tomorrow I am working for a month for one class. I have worked at the school before, that is how I was requested. The teacher who is going to be out really liked me, so offered me the job. He mentioned to me that he wants me to do my own thing and spend time on the night before coming up with lesson plans. Is this protocol??!! I haven't started student teaching yet, or started my credential program, so now I am freaking out!!!!!!!!! By the way, he knows this as well. How should I approach this??

Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Leftytoo2

I would have freaked
Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

if a teacher said this to me. Sounds to me like the teacher just doesn't want to be bothered doing a month of lesson plans. He's pawning that off on you.

It's not your class, you don't know where they are academically or what is required that they learn at this point in time, you haven't been to grade-level meetings to know what the other teachers are doing--how could you possibly come up with the plans?
Leftytoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reddy

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's exactly what he said.."It would be impossible for me to do a month of lesson plans..." So what do I do???

YILuv2Teach

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would be freaking out too! That is a ton of work to do when you havent done student teaching etc yet! I can understand a teacher not doing a whole month worth of lesson plans but they should have at least a solid outline on what he wants done for that month. Since you start tomorrow I dont know how much you can do now. I guess you are really going to have to get the support of other teachers and the principal. I wish I had more helpful advice.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Leftytoo2

Oh, yeah, the advice part...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you did ask for that, and I forgot! I was just freaked FOR you! :-) Well, if it were me, I'd probably suggest that we do it together, because of the concerns I cited above. I would let him know I wouldn't feel comfortable doing the plans on my own and would prefer that he at least go over the basic outline of a plan after school for a couple of hours, maybe? I know, that means more work for you that you aren't paid for, but I do realize that if you refuse to do the plans, that he can make you look bad if he so chooses. So you're in a catch-22.

Reddy

Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

eek. So the school program I work for is linked to the probation department- it is for at risk kids, or delinquent kids coming out of juvenile hall. One of the head probation officers came in today asking me what the teacher left me and I told him. He seemed really upset, telling me that it isn't fair to me and that it's not my job to know exactly where the kids are and what they have or haven't gone over. He said he was thinking about calling the teacher's boss (the principal.) An hour later he comes back telling me he CALLED!!! Now I feel bad, because I don't want him to get in trouble because he gave me the opportunity in the first place. But on the other hand, I don't want to forgive his laziness if he is trying to take the easy way out.

Leftytoo2

Uh-oh...
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

well, you'll have to tell us what happened! I'd be feeling just like you are, somewhat conflicted :-).

Reddy

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will lefty
BTW...just a tangent.. I am thinking about doing a basic personality test with the kids, and enforcing how important it is to understand ourselves so we can interact better with others since a lot of them have gang rivals and such... Do you think this is getting too personal???

http://haleonline.com/psychtest/

I just want to come up with some different stuff to keep them into it--since the regular bookwork makes them lose focus.

What do you think?

Thanks

Leftytoo2

I don't know if they'd be bothered by it
Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

what grade are they in? I like doing those kinds of things as I think it's interesting. However, I wanted to give you a couple of links, if you're teaching older kids--it's teaching from the textbook, but making it more interesting? Do you think these might help with the book work?

http://www.textmapping.org/whMapping...hapter001.html

and

http://www.readingquest.org/strat/abc.html
reddie

reddie

Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

thanks for all the insight..
more questions :
My program pays long term subbing retro after 21 consecutive days. Does that mean I need to work 4 weeks and one day in a row at the same site???
If so....I got shafted, because I am only scheduled 20 school days here.

PSub

You got shafted
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

To get long term pay you have to have the consecutive # of days in the same position. It varies by district -- mine pays it at 10 days.
But if you miss ONE day or even part of a day in that time you lose it!
PSub is offline   Reply With Quote

sagann

long term pay
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

my district does not have long term pay.......that is being shafted.

i am starting a job tomorrow, for several weeks where the building is short a teacher. there isn't anyone to make the lesson plans BUT me........oh and i am a certified sub, which means i have enough college credits. however, i am not a certified teacher.
sagann is offline   Reply With Quote