Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub Folder

>

MissESL

Sub Folder
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to create a sub folder for my subs.

I already include:
Class List/Seating Chart
Rules, Policies, Rewards, Consequences (Including stickers, t-bucks, referral forms, etc.)
Lesson Plan: I do believe in asking subs to teach whatever lesson I have planned for the day. I include very specific instructions, order, suggestions, and materials.
List of In-School Contacts: I give the e-mail and extension of the principal and secretary & the location of the intercom (my room was not always a classroom, so it is set up differently from the other rooms).
Day Schedule, including for half days and special dismissals.
Fire & Tornado Procedures

I also include these things in the prongs of the folder:
A note welcoming the sub to my classroom and thanking them for taking on my class (I find out who is scheduled to sub and make sure then ote is personalized to them).
A copy of syllabus & classroom procedures for any situation (which has a section that states the above).

I try to be specific and even over-prepared, because I remember how subs could be treated and train my students to be 'angels or else'...I loved how, when I was teacher aiding, I observed in one woman's room. She was not in that day--she had two kids down with the chicken poc, but I observed anyway. I LOVED how when I walked in the room, there was a message on the board from her to her students: "Behave or you will be sorry." The sub had no problems, and I enjoyed observing the class.

I like to take into consideration what substitute teachers need from me, so please let me know if there is anything I have forgotten or tht you believe a sub would like to have at their fingertips.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Great prep!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only thing I'd suggest adding is the name, Rm # and extension of a trusted teacher at your same grade level in case I need something clarified or a place to send some little non-angel for a "a little alone time".

(but I wouldn't complain at all if I got your sub-folder as is...)
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

sblack47

Old 07-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just a thought, I also add a map of the school with rooms we use highlighted.
sblack47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Helpful things to know
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

where is the adult bathroom/lounge/copier
detailed directions for fire drills/tornado drills/lockdowns (not just what to do but where to go and where to stop)
schedule of students who leave the room for speech/OT/etc.
list of areas that kids are allowed or NOT allowed to get into
if you have snack time - how is this handled?
lunch- where to go, Do we stay with them? If yes, where to sit. If no how long do we stay and then where do we eat?
recess- times, where to drop them off, where to pick them up, or do we stay with them? Any recess rules?
Lastly, just explain in print anything that "they should know what to do". They may know for you but if we ask them we get 20 different answers and it's just not worth the hassle.

Not all of this is needed for every sub. Some will be familiar with the basic school procedures. Since this will be the beginning of the year you may run into some brand new subs who will not know how anything is handled and will need to know details.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've always found it to be helpful to note students with particular needs. We can spot the challenging kids with or without a heads up from the teacher, but if so-and-so is an IEP kid or another needs meds at some point, it would be great to know!

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

i-sub-2

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do not forget to include a list of students with relevant medical issues. I once wrote a referral for a student who refused to do anything I asked him to do, and I only later found out that he had epilespy.

My favorite board note from a teacher to her students was simple: "Remember! You are being watched, and I will be back."

Please leave notes about anything that students are not permitted to use in your absence.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wonderful, excellent, thank you!!! :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote
yorkie8888

yorkie8888

Dismissal Plans
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really appreciate when the classroom teacher leaves specific instructions about dismissal. It is so helpful as I have seen several different ways that this is handled. Specific instructions as to who rides the bus, stays for the afterschool program, carpools, etc. is very informative and helps to make a smooth dismissal.
I recently subbed in a kinder class and asked the kids about leaving for the day and got several different responses. It turned out that the parent came to the classroom to pick up the kids. It would have been really helpful if the teacher had just left a short note about dismissal.