Help

Substitute Teachers

Showing up "late"?

>

grav_def

Showing up "late"?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've got kind of a weird situation: I've been called to sub tomorrow for a resource teacher. I know her fairly well because I often sub for the other resource teacher at that school, and they share an office, etc. However, the person I'm subbing for is half-time, so she works on a weird schedule, and the job assignment in SmartFind is telling me to come in an hour later than the usual start time at that school. Subs usually come in at 7:45, school starts at 8, I'm being told to come in at 8:45, and I know for a fact that this teacher doesn't have any students until 9.

Should I enjoy the extra hour of sleep, or come in at the usual time and find myself some busywork to do? (I'm not worried; there is sure to be some!)

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would go in at the time SmartFind tells you unless you need more than 15 minutes to get ready.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

dalleo822

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Show up at the time that SmartFind says you should Enjoy that extra hour of sleep.
dalleo822 is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

I'd do what the dist..
Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd do what the expectations are in yoru district. In my dist. you are only required to be there when students are present. So, if a teacher has first plannign period or last we are allowed to leave. Same as if plan is in the middle of the day - we are allowed to leave (if we want). this does nto affect our pay. Likewise, teachers are not supposed to ask for subs until they actually need to leave the building. most are very good about this. I only have one that I work for on a very regular basis (she used to be my teacher back in teh day) and she always requests me 30 min early so she can get stuff done before leaving and this is just between us I imagine - I'm not gonna tell and it doesn't make more $$ I do it to be nice)

the other thing our dist does is if you are signed up to work a certain job/hours they can ask you to work something else or anothe rroom or during plan, but you have every right to say no thanks (of course there may be consequences to that) but really we are told this and also schools rarely ask us to so when they do it is like a favor and rare.

If you aren't sure, I'd show up eary but if they say wel lyou didn't have to come until later, make a note and ask if next time you can just come later!

grav_def

Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
I'd do what the expectations are in yoru district.
Honestly, I don't know what the district expectations are. I've got a list somewhere of the official workday start and end times in each building, but teachers can change them when they enter jobs into the system. Plus, some buildings are super-strict about not letting you leave until the contracted time (in the contract of the teacher you're subbing for); others couldn't care less as long as you've finished everything you need to do. This building usually falls into the latter category, but I've got a good reputation there--like, I'll probably be considered for any full-time positions that open up--and I'd like to keep it, so I'm careful.

Anyway, I got there around 8:30 this morning, no one seemed to care, and I also left a few minutes early because it turns out this teacher has prep/IEP-writing/meeting/consultation time all afternoon on Thursdays. When I left, I jokingly apologized to the secretary for being such a "slacker" today, and she just laughed and said I might as well enjoy days like that when they happen.

yoohoo

Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

my situation is a little different---I was scheduled to work on a Thursday at a MS...I thought it was for the next week....

I'm in the bathroom and my DH picks up the phone and runs upstairs to tell me it's the school calling. I'm like why are they calling me now? Did something happen?

well comes to find out, I was late by like 1/2 hour and they were wondering where I was.....let's just say the secy' was very good about the whole situation...she said that I don't take advantage and that's a good advantage for me....

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh, no! I've been lucky: The few times I've shown up somewhere on the wrong day, I was early, not late.

I'm glad it worked out OK for you, though.