Help

Substitute Teachers

Band Class Subbing

>

Amberlee

Band Class Subbing
Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I was in a Grade 5/6 class but first thing in the morning the Grade 6/7 band came into the room and I had to teach them for 45 minutes. Now don't get me wrong I understand the band basics. I was in high school and university band myself and can read music etc. But I found it exceptionally difficult to get their attention to explain expectations as they were coming in with their instruments, to get them to stop playing on queue, etc etc.

What tips do you have for band?? It is so noisy with all the instruments and stands!

Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have only done band twice. Once they were going on a band trip and 3 didn't get permission. Yes, they had me come in to sub 3 kids. The other time, someone else came in (music teacher I believe) for one class, the other classes just didn't get out their instruments, they just had free time. I know, that doesn't help.

Perhaps give them a "5 minutes to be in your seats and ready to go"?? Just the nature of band class for it to be loud I think.

Had choir once and one of the period the teacher said a pianist would come and play so they could practice. Waiting...waiting...never showed. Why not leave a CD so they could have practiced?
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like your "5 minutes to be in your seats and ready to go" --the only problem was they were straggling in from other classes over this amount of time (aka we'd have 15 kids there and 5 or so wandering in every few minutes so some students were ready and some were just arriving so the early kids would fool around but we couldn't start because not everyone was there). It was so noisy I couldn't tell this expectation to them without making them be quiet in the first place, and no room to write it anywhere either. It sounds like a great idea if I was a regular band teacher though and the kids knew my expectations ahead of time.

I pondered flicking the light switch but it was at the back of the classroom and I would have to leap over a few music stands and instruments just to reach it--not ideal. Basically I just had to ask for their attention and wait a few minutes before they all quieted down. Each time. Frustrating to me...

Is there a certain position to hold instruments at at certain times? I was thinking of 'instruments down' until we start to play but they want to set them up and make sure they are tuned before we start too.

I guess I'm just rambling and trying to figure this out.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

You're brave!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Middle school students with instruments...first thing in the morning...sounds like fun

I have never subbed for band before mainly because I do not have the correct certification to do so (I am certified in Elementary Education). I have done General Music several times but this does not include teaching the instrumentalists. Usually, if the Band teacher is out, they cancel Band for the day.

I do, however, have a Bachelors Degree in Music (instrumental performance) and have taught at a private music school in my area so I do have experience teaching instrumentalists and working with ensembles.

I have had conducting classes and can conduct and read scores so it is a little easier when you know all of the beat patterns and conducting moves . When I was working with students who have never been in an ensemble before, I would spend a few minutes showing them what I would do when I wanted them to stop. Also, since younger students tend to bury their faces in the music instead of looking at the conductor, I would also clap (loudly) three times when we needed to stop.

As for getting them to be quiet and not play with their instruments before it was time to play.... that is a hard one... I used to let the kids warm up on their instruments before rehearsal...in fact, I encouraged it but would clap a few times or turn the lights out, when I needed to get their attention. Maybe you could do something like this too??? Or as they come in, tell them NOT to unpack their instruments right away because you want to talk about your expectations...just tell them to have a seat in their chair and look over their music (without having their instrument out) until it is time to start.

Hopefully, this was helpful
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Poppins

Old 01-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'll have middle school band for three days next week. Yes, I'm officially crazy! I told the sub coordinator that I would take the job if they would pay for my appointment with a psychiatrist the following day! HA! When I've subbed before, they just watch a movie. The last time I "got" to watch the first half of the second Transformer movie SIX times! I didn't even see the first one! I asked one of the band directors if I could select the movies and vary them by class period...she said fine. I'm tempted to have them watch Mr. Holland's Opus, The Music Man, you get the picture. A few of them who know I'll be in there have requested The Hangover, Inglorius #######s, and "something really scary"...RIGHT! I won't have to worry about noisiness from instruments, but noisy middle school rugrats* watching a movie will be another thing!

*I use this word with great affection!

Mrs. Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

I'm am Music Teacher...
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

so this would be my dream. Jr. High/H.S band kids are very excited and comfortable in their environment, but usually very respectful.

If you know how to read music and do all that, take a look at their scores and just keep going is my best advice.

I teach choir outside of school also and if I give them any time in between songs thats where I loose them. Have a signal where they need to be quiet and keep going with excercises, practice, whatever it may be.

skmusicgirl

My dream job!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I'm in band class, I don't worry about explaining expectations... for the same reason you described. I just get started.
You'll figure out quickly who are the students to ask questions about (are you able to play this all the way through, what's the tempo, etc.) by them quickly setting up and warming up and then listening quietly.
To get them to calm down/listen, step OFF the podium and step back on (or step away from the music stand, to the side, and come back). Almost every class I have been in knows that's how playing starts. If they don't all settle the first time, thank the kids who are listening and try again. It only takes 2-3 times, even with 75-85 students! (Thanks to those who are ready, let's see if more can be ready when I try it again" kind of thing). Don't yell - you'll kill your voice, and they take it as an opportunity to chatter (mainly because they know it's harder to pinpoint exact chatters rather than sections).
And let them know this is your first time with a band! If you make it positive, and let them know you want a good experience, most groups I've worked with will try to impress you. By nature, they're a performing group - and they have a new audience!
Okay, this is a little long... sorry! Hope it helps though
skmusicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote