High School

So scared to start my first year

>

NewTeacher214

NewTeacher214

So scared to start my first year
Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am a week away from starting my first year of teaching. I am teaching 9th grade English at a school that's only 10 minutes from my house (yay!). I have ZERO teaching experience excluding one-on-one tutoring and I received my alternative certification. I was initially feeling a bit nervous but mostly excited about starting, but now I am dying of anxiety and I already feel like I can't do it and I haven't even started! Let me give you some background info.

I am 22 years old and just graduated college in May. My main goal has always been and still is to teach English (maybe even Developmental English) in college. Since this was always what I envisioned, I never thought to worry about discipline problems in my classroom. However, now that I'm teaching 9th grade, I am very well aware that I will have to be a firm classroom manager. I'm just so worried! Any advice for someone who has no idea how to manage a classroom with roughly 25 students at a time? I will have around 170 students overall.

Here are my rules and consequences I've made. I made them pretty broad so that my students won't try (or at least won't succeed) to weasel their way out of a consequence. If there is anything that you think would work better, just let me know and I will definitely consider it!!!
Classroom rules
1. Walk in quietly and begin working on your Bell Work
2. Respect yourself and others by using appropriate language
3. Come to class every day prepared and ready to learn
4. Pay attention and donít interrupt the teacher or classmates
5. Turn off personal electronics before entering the classroom

Classroom consequences
1. Verbal warning
2. Reflection essay and student-teacher meeting
3. Detention and a call home
4. Official office referral

I learned at orientation that first year teachers at my district aren't required to make their own lesson plans (we use our mentor's) so that's one thing that I don't have to worry about at least.

Teacher_twins

Old 08-17-2015, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just stick to your rules. Make sure students know what to do. Follow through on all consequences. But make sure you are fair and just in your consequences.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

Be Strict!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is always easier to loosen your stance as the year progresses. You cannot get tougher after being easy. Your rules look good you might just have to clarify what prepared and ready to learn means. If you are teaching nine graders I would not give writing as a punishment. That will mean writing = punishment. YOU Don't Really want that. I would also make sure that you are all over the electronic devices. This is a real problem at the high school. Just remember ninth graders are just big kids. It is important that they know you care. You will have good and bad days; just know that the first year is the hardest. It will get easier. Your head will be spinning with so much information at the beginning. You CANNOT do everything. Prioritize!!! By October things will hopefully even out.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

friends
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do NOT try to be their friend and do NOT care if they like you. Young teacher often fall into the trap of wanting to be the "cool teacher" and the kids will walk all over you. Be strict from the start. It is MUCH easier to loosen up after you have yourself established than it is to tighten up after you have been too accommodating. Good luck!!!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

YOu will do Great!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just go with what you feel is right and learn your students and you will do great!

Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Geometry123

Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A way to stop students from using electronic devices (such as your phone) is to make them exchange the cell phone for a calculator as soon as they enter the room. Have the calculators in a calculator holder and as students walk into class they have to grab a calculator, but replace the calculator with their cell phone.

Last edited by Geometry123; 01-13-2016 at 11:54 AM..
Geometry123 is offline   Reply With Quote