ARCHIVE

PLEASE help a new teacher!

>

newtosite

newtosite

PLEASE help a new teacher!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I took over a 6th grade class in January. (I subbed in the fall after graduating in May, so this is my first position)I teach spelling, reading, and English. I feel like all I do for English is worksheets. For reading we review vocab, preview the story, and read it as a class. We do not have any specific reading program. We follow the Hougton Mifflin
series. How can I make things more interesting? I feel like I am not creative at all. My class management is good, but I feel what I do is so boring! HELP! Any idea? Books? Websites? I do have a mentor, but she is a first grade teacher.I am looking for ideas for the older kids.

multigrade

Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

See if this would help.

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Write-No...5068492&sr=1-1
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

thankateach

Can you give more detail?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just wondering what you are covering in English...what type of writing (descriptive, narrative, persuasive)?

I don't know if I have any wonderful ideas...but need a little more to go on to see if I can help...
thankateach is offline   Reply With Quote

OkieTeacher08

Any supplemental material?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have any supplemental material that goes with the curriculum? Extra support workbooks...challenge activities...story on CD that you can listen to...etc.? I am also a 6th grade teacher and we have an excellent Reading series that comes with tons of "helper" stuff. Though a lot of it is worksheets, it provides a groundwork that you can use to get ideas and more easily create your own ideas...

If you don't have anything like that...first, I'd ask a building administrator, maybe they'd be willing to order something if the money is there?

My last piece of advice is to search ProTeacher...you can find some EXCELLENT ideas on this website! Start maybe with English, go to search and look under 6th grade English, or find certain topics from the unit you are working on and search that. Remember to look on current boards and archives...

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
OkieTeacher08 is offline   Reply With Quote
newtosite

newtosite

More info
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am currently working on pronouns/adverbs/fables. We have the basic series, but no extra materials. There is no money with budget cuts. I appreciate any help as I want to do a good job, yet I know I have so much to learn! I have no problem buying a few things as long as they are good

proud mom

How about a novel study?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Doing a read aloud or novel study with your class can get them excited about reading and provide you with many teachable moments. I also teach 6th grade and use Freak the Mighty, Hidden Talents, and Esperanza Rising with my standard level students.

I found many ideas on line for each of these books. I also like to use readwritethink dot org. They have many interactive student tools.

Best of luck for the rest of the school year!
proud mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Literature circles might work.
or maybe Reciprocal Teaching.
Google that term and lots will come up.
Here's one link:

http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/instruct...20teaching.htm

Just a couple ideas to add some variety.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote