Help

ARCHIVE

mo willems

>

alimen

mo willems
Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone done an Authors as Mentors unit on Mo Willems? If so, did you find that there was enough info/craft for the unit? Please share any info you can...

Thanks!

alimen is offline   Reply With Quote

Cricket81

Mo
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our librarian did a quick author unit on Mo Willems. He has a wonderful website that the kids really enjoyed looking at. She also took a digital picture of the library and copied it for all the kids. Then they drew a small picture of themselves and cut it out and glued it into the library background so that it looked like an illustration from Knuffle Bunny. They came out adorable and the kids really enjoyed it.
Cricket81 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie13

Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love, love, love Mo Willems. His books are so great for test-to-self and text-to-text connections.
We used them for inferring, too.
I think he'd be hard to write like, though. So much of his books is getting to know the characters and details in illustrations. Go to his site for more help.
annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

JoelAvamom

Pigeon book study
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I acciddently stumbled across Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus andd the kids loved it so I read all the pigeon books, so great for teaching voice. I went on youtube and there are some great readings of the pigeon stories as well as a cute video that a grade on class did "Don't Let the Pigeon be the Principal". So we wrote a class book, "Ddon't Let the pigeon Teach Grade One". We also designed title pages for our own pigeon stories. The kids had great ideas: DOn't Let the Pigeon Be Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tony Hawk do ballet etc. The KIDS LOVED IT!!!!!!!! They were writing their own books about it at home. I also did a video of them reading our book we made. I think this was my best author unit yet!!!! Next year I'll read his other books, I did not even know they were out there. Oh Scholastic also had a draw the pigeon contest earlier this year (Oct.) maybe. It had a step by step instruction of how to draw the pigeon.
JoelAvamom is offline   Reply With Quote

annie13

Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Read his Elephant and Piggy series too. The kids adore these books

annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mellybears

Mo's Number One Fan!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you loved the Pigeon books, you won't be able to get enough of Piggy and Gerald!

I use the Pigeon books to teach voice and persausive writing.

We also write our own Pigeon books. The students LOVE Mo Willems and that pesky Pigeon turns up everywhere!

Check out his website for some great videos and teacher's guides. I also love checking out his personal blog!
Mellybears is offline   Reply With Quote