Help

Violet Room

If you had $200...

>

Nell

If you had $200...
Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All told, with my PTO thank you gift and multiple Barnes and Noble gift cards given throughout the year, I have amassed about $200 to spend as I please. I would like to purchase picture books to use as mentor texts, especially for reading and writing mini-lessons. If you had a sudden windfall, and could choose best books to use for teaching reading and writing skills, what would you pick. (I teach third.)

Coop'smom

Mentor texts
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Really, I don't know how I would choose. There are so many. I would probably begin by looking at the content I cover and think about the books I currently use. If I don't have a book for it or I would like a new one, then I would search books for teaching _________, then look at the reviews and make a list. We are teaching from the English/Language Arts Units for common core and I take a lot of my books from the suggested book list there. Good luck, happy spending.

LRBarnes

$200
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would use it for the classroom. Buying books or any materials or supplies the students might need is always a good idea. OR I might put it toward something bigger that more people could use and everyone could benfit from.

1956BD

Book Suggestion
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Someone else suggested I read a book titled No More, I'm Done. It gives picture book suggestions for six trait writing. Looks interesting.

1956BD

Here is a list of books
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maybe you can look at some of these and find some you like.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf picture books.pdf (73.8 KB, 210 views)

1956BD

Some of my favorite books
Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

An Unsolved Mystery from History: The Mary Celeste- to teach the strategy of questioning while reading. This is a high interest nonfiction picture book.

For teaching word choice in writing I love Double Trouble in Walla Walla.This is a picture book.

Math Concepts- Greg Tang's math riddle series is excellent. These are picture books.

My Life with the Wave is very creative so it works well for writing ideas. Plus the end of the story sets you up for a sequel that the students can write themselves. This is a picture book. Two more great picture books for ideas are Dogzilla and Kat Kong. They look like baby books at first glance but are filled with play on words and double meaning expressions. Cloudy With a chance of Meatballs also fits this category.

I read Muggie Maggie, a short chapter book when we start learning cursive handwriting. It is then easy for my students to make text to self connections.

I also read a chapter book titled 7 X 9 = Trouble when we start multiplication. Again a great way to get students to make text to self connections.

Moog Moog The Space Barber is about getting a bad hair cut. This is a picture book most kids can relate to for text to self connections.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie or any other circle story by this author is a great way to teach cause and effect. There is also a picture book titled Fortunately that works well for this reading lesson.

A short novel I like to use when teaching poetry is Love That Dog. Takes about three days to read.

I find practiced readings work well for fluency. I love mary Ann Hobberman's series called You Read To Me, I'll Read To You. They are poems for two voices. I pair students so one is a better reader. They read the first part. The slower reader reads the second part. They always try to match the pace set by the first reader. Works like a charm. Plus the poems are fun and age appropriate. I make copies of the poems for kids to use.

rusty

Not all NEW
Old 07-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi... I found myself in the same sweet predicament last year with several Border's Books gift cards that I had to use as their stores were closing. I went online--and you can do this at Barnes and Nobles too, I believe... and I bought mostly Used books at half the price. Borders accepted the gift cards at the check-out page. I chose to find books by favorite authors...Kevin Henkes, Mo Willems, even some Dr. Seuss books that I didn't have already. I hate paying full price for children's books...even when it's somebody elses' money! So, happy shopping!

perrer

I teach third too!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street for generating ideas in writing and adding details

3rdgradeisgr8

No More I'm Done
Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

is a very good book. It definitely would be useful, and it follows six traits with suggestions for each month and a list of mentor texts.
reader5

reader5

Books
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Andrew Clements has a wide variety of childrens books to chose from and the kids
seem to enjoy them. Good Luck