Help

Violet Room

Reading Lesson Continuum

>

MrsMcG

Reading Lesson Continuum
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone uses a continuum of strategies or are you expected, as in my district to pull lessons out of the air that match the standards? We use American Reading which is an assessment tool and leveled books which is great for that, but there is no direction or lessons to keep teahers focused. I use the standards and teach lessons each day, but I feel like there may be things I am missing. If you have a guideline from your current program that is aligned to the standards, would you PLEASE share it with me? I just want to do what is right for my students. Thank you!

AnnfromSand

Standards and Reading
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach ms severe cogn. and am required to align all of my alternative tests to the CCC. We have to create all of our assessmts and they check for alignment to standards very critically. As I see it, the standards have all of the 'needs' of the students built into them, sequentially. The standards also make sure it is scaffolded each year.

I co taught reading in a very successful school/district. They chose their own books. What I enjoyed, thought was very savvy for students was metacognitive strategies and lit. circles, where the differing strategies/levels, etc. could be addressed.

As I see it, the standards are a framework. The strategies are going to address their specific needs. Your heart and experience will fill in the rest. It takes more from you to organize.. but keep looking to the standards to make sure your lessons are aligned. We have to post ours!

Happy Trails to you!

AnnfromSand

Any ideas for middle school stories to read?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am looking for a story to read to my middle school severe cognitive disabled, non-verbal students. I will be testing them for their choice of summary, development of character, central theme.. by using pictures... so it can't be abstract. It has to be age appropriate.. so I am not sure Charlotte's Web would do. I actually need two stories.

Thanks!