Canadian Teachers

English as a second language

>

vanya1238

English as a second language
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm looking for more information and maybe some advice on teaching English to speakers of other languages in Canadian schools.

I'm a US citizen but frankly I don't love my country and I have long wanted to move to Canada. I'm currently in graduate school, getting teaching certification to teach English as a second language to all grade levels. But it's my goal--or maybe my dream, because I don't know how achievable it actually is!--to one day move to Canada and work there as a teacher.

When I was originally looking at schools, I tried looking for Canadian universities. But I found hardly any programs for teaching English as a second language. Which is odd to me, because I know Canada welcomes lots of refugees and immigrants. Someone must be teaching them English!

How is this handled in the Canadian school system? Are ESL students fully integrated into general education classrooms? Do English (language arts/literature) teachers "double up" as English-language teachers?

I'd love to learn any information you can share about ESL in Canadian schools--and simply about life as a teacher in Canada in general. Thanks!

vanya1238 is offline   Reply With Quote