Help

Teacher Authors & Bloggers

Questions about TPT and ethics

>

Mrs.Lilbit

Questions about TPT and ethics
Old 01-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a gifted ed teacher and one thing I've noticed about TPT is that there seems to be few resources there for teachers of the gifted. So the thought hits me--I should sell stuff especially for gifted and make some extra money.

In my district, our gifted curriculum is unit based and written entirely by the teachers. We are required to write units for our program and share them with our colleagues. Once a unit is submitted, it becomes the property of the district. Last year I wrote a unit and was really proud of the finished product. A coworker used it in her classroom this year and said it was very good.

So my first question is, if I were to open a TPT store, would it be unethical to sell this, or any other, unit written for my district? Is this one of those things that would be a no-no, like charging an hourly rate to tutor your own student? Would it be better to keep any unit I wrote for TPT separate from units I wrote for my district? Even then, if I use the same "format" required by the district to write units to sell, would I be pushing any ethical boundaries?

My second question pertains to the actual making of the products. The pages I wrote were very simple. They were all black and white documents created using MS word. I mostly used comic sans font and whatever borders and clip art available on MS Office. Does that fall into the "public domain" category, or would I need to get special permission to sell something using those? Would that even sell, since almost everything I see there seems to use colors, cutesy clip-art, and fancy fonts?

Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

Tpt
Old 01-24-2015, 12:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1) Units you created for district--not sure about this one. Maybe ask someone in your district? Or you can post on the TPT seller's forum and ask them.

2) Using same format, new units--this is fine. If it's just the structure you are copying, but not the units themselves I don't see an issue with this.

3) Actual products--b/w is fine. All of mine are and they sell well. A note about comic sans--many people HATE this text. It gets made fun of a lot on the internet and my SIL who teaches refuses to use anything in Comic Sans. You might want to change to a more generic script like New Times Roman. Borders and clip art should also be fine. I did a lot of research on it before selling my own stuff and seem to remember that it was allowed. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal...y/permissions/ gives more info.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 01-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, daffodils! That was helpful.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMickeyMous

Old 03-22-2015, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Anything created for your district, during your paid time, and on district computer, belongs to the district and therefore you cannot sell that.
LuvMickeyMous is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sell on TpT, as well. I save everything as a PDF so know one can alter it and then try to claim it as their own. I use a lot of fun fonts that are free from Amanda and Kevin

I make a lot of my own borders and graphics, but also use a lot of others too....just give credit when doing this. You can find FREE borders and graphics out there too...even on TpT.

Good luck! It is a lot of fun creating!!!!!!!

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

wisechoice

Tpt
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just posted in The Vent about trying to sell on TPT. I checked the IP (intellectual property) agreement with my employer and it turns out that anything I have created is theirs.

Regarding pictures, I do believe that if you purchase clip art, photographs, fonts, etc., each artist has different guidelines for using their art. Some want you to notify if you sell more than 1000 units. Some artists want attribution. Some don't care.

http://the3amteacher.blogspot.com/20...chers-pay.html

Is there a way you can see if your district has such a document that they had you sign? If not, then the copyright should naturally be yours. (Please check with your lawyer!)

Blackline masters is easier to print by the way
wisechoice is offline   Reply With Quote