Help

Canadian Teachers

Please keep NS teachers in your thoughts

>

Paddlegurl

Please keep NS teachers in your thoughts
Old 12-03-2016, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have been without a contract for more than a year and were set to start work-to-rule on Monday. The situation with the government has become incredibly toxic, and the education minister just closed schools for Monday, claiming that they can't guarantee student supervision and safety. They're recalling the legislature to "impose a collective agreement." Please keep us in your thoughts, especially those in Ontario and BC who've been down this road recently.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tion-1.3880120

Paddlegurl is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 12-05-2016, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I came to this Board just now to check and see how things were going.
I knew today was your day for legal strike action.
I did not realize the Education Minister closed schools.
That really is uping the ante quit quickly if you were just starting to implement Work-to-Rule.

*Remember to stay positive.
*Do not respond to rumours.
*Stick together as a staff/federation/union.
*Work-to-rule really gives you permission to actually do your job and not all the other crazy stuff that has become teaching.

I will be thinking about you. Keep us posted.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 12-06-2016, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Things just keep getting stranger and stranger! The government didn't introduce the back-to-work legislation yesterday. They finally came out and announced that the union had made some changes to the work-to-rule guidelines and they were satisfied that students would be safely supervised. The union is saying that those changes had been communicated to the government before the school cancellation announcement...it's a mess.

So right now students are back in school and we continue under work to rule, with no negotiations in sight. I'm in a bit of a lonely spot - subbing in between long-term jobs. Work to rule means no PD and sub days have been scarce! Luckily I have something lined up for January, that I can manage on limited prep time, as I need to get some more days in to have enough hours for maternity leave.

Peaches Pears

Old 12-06-2016, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hope you get enough time in for your mat leave.
My daughter is a supply teacher and last year our teachers were still on WTR. Jobs were few and far between for supplies.

Back-to-work legislation is really a bull-in-the-china shop kind of move.
It seems to me it takes about 21 days of walking the picket line before back to work legislation rumours have any real weight to them. You are just at the work-to-rule stage. Not attending staff meetings doesn't really equate with back to work legislation. I agree with you ---- it is getting stranger and stranger.

Personally --- I liked work-to-rule. I was one of those teachers (most of us are) that went way above the call of duty. I didn't complain about the extras. It wasn't until our first WTR that I realized how much of my day/instructional time was taken up collecting and counting milk money, hot dog money, pizza money etc. There were several other eye openers for me along the way.

Remember, strike action is the beginning of the end. Negotiations or arbitration will occur. A contract will be negotiated or imposed. You won't be on strike for ever.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You've been in my thoughts. I hope the WTR works and you're not going to be locked out (I just don't get "locked out" or have to walk the line. The employer is saying they want their workers to do their jobs but they're not allowed in. WTH?)

"Impose a collection agreement". Why don't they call a spade a spade and call it a collective imposition. Stand strong.

GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just an update:

Teachers vote today on another contract. General opinion is that this one will also get voted down, though perhaps less strongly than the previous one. We went off work to rule for a week after the contract was announced, then started it again after some comments by the government.

I don't know how you folks in other provinces managed so long under work to rule. Not a day goes by that there isn't some news story with a parent irate that their little snowflake isn't getting to have a concert or a yearbook or a school trip.

I started my maternity leave today, so I wasn't eligible to vote and will be watching the rest of the mess play out from a bit more of a distance. I'm sure the chaos isn't going to be over yet.