Help

Teacher Authors & Bloggers

I feel so stupid re TPT

>

mom23kids

I feel so stupid re TPT
Old 01-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to put something up on TPT, but there's just so much to know that I feel overwhelmed and just CANT DO IT! I need a TPT mentor!! That seller's forum is just a bungle mess of words. It's not sinking in!
I feel like I have some good stuff to sell, but I can't seem to get it right!

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ooooh, I want to learn how it works, too! If this becomes a TPT coaching thread, I'm in!

My first question is - Are subs even eligible?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 01-24-2015, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I received a lot of help from this board when I started TPT. I'll help if I know the answers! Just a warning, I've learned a lot, and do okay, but I am far from being a top seller!

Last edited by Gimet; 01-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

I'm new to this too!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Mom23kids & Gimet

I just recently opened a store on TPT. It took me awhile to get something uploaded because I could not figure out my copywrite stuff. I am not an expert by any means but maybe we could work together to try to figure this out? I have a lot to sell, too but only have a few items up.

Feel free to follow my store and send me a link to yours and I will follow you too!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...y-Learning-Abc

Let me know what you think!

BP

Last edited by bubbleepink; 01-24-2015 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: add Gimet
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OHH>. that would be awesome. I posted my first freebee, the only thing I posted and it seems that I'm violating copyright laws and not crediting google images. I just can't figure out how to do it. And what do they mean by fonts??? I just type... Do I have to credit my typing (I told you i feel stupid! lol)
I looked at other peoples and THEY name education companys and also have textbook pages on theirs.. So, ii'm just not getting it!!

Gimet

Old 01-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't know about google images. I used free clip art when I started. Two sites are mycutegraphics.com plus there is a lot of free clip art on TPT. Check the terms of use--usually they have a button or want you to post a link back to their store.

Not sure about fonts--a lot of people use century gothic.

Here's a link to my store:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Susan-Luengen

You can send me a private message, it might be easier or more comfortable???
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

Clogs1228

Using graphics on commercial products
Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When you use any images or clip art on something you sell or even give away as a freebie on TPT it is considered commercial use and you have to make sure that the person who took the picture or created the graphic allows for you to use it for commercial use. The same goes for fonts. As for mycutegraphics.com listed above if you look in the about section you will see the terms prohibit using the graphics for commercial use but if you buy the graphics from their TPT store you can use them in your TPT products if you give them credit and you put the graphic in a format that can't be copied easily such as a pdf, Smartboard file, or a Power Point.

When you find a site that has a font or graphics you want to use check out their terms and if they do not say for commercial use do not use them never assume that because they do not say you can't that you can.

I was interested in digital scrapbooking and at one point made digital scrapbook kits to sell and I hated this part, finding out graphics I liked were OK for commercial use or not. I created folders on my computer that I labled OK for commercial use and then a folder for each site with a copy of their terms in their folder so I would know they were OK to use and could look back at the terms to see if I had to credit or not. Credit simply means you say somewhere in your product "Graphics come from so and so and here is a link to their site."

I know Graphics Factory allows TPT users to use their graphics which you can see on their usage rights page: http://www.graphicsfactory.com/g-eula.html They do charge but I wanted to use them as an example because I know they specifically state they can be used on TPT.

As for fonts it is the same look for ones that say free for commercial use. Here is the terms of use for one site that gives you an idea of what personal versus commercial use is. http://www.1001fonts.com/licenses/ffc.html

Be wary of graphics and fonts that say free for educational use. Yes you are using it for educational use but you are also selling it so that makes it commercial use. If you used it in just your classroom you could use it.

Confusing enough for you?
Clogs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Lakeside,
Quote:
Are subs even eligible?
Yes! Anyone can create and sell on TpT.
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

copyright
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been selling on TPT for about 2 years. My products sell, but I'm no where near a top seller!

To make copyright as easy as possible for me, I keep my products simple. I use the fonts available in Word rather than buying or downloading fancy ones. I don't use clipart much, but when I do, again, it is from Word. Best I could tell, it is allowed by their copyright rules. I do add a mention that it comes from Word.

I use my own photos when possible. Most of my products relate to my state's history, and I have been to many sites. So if the product is about Civil War, I add in a few photos that I took from a battlefield. Makes it easier. I then add a line that I took the photos.

Two things to note:
1) Just because a seller is selling something, doesn't mean it is legal. Many people post things that they shouldn't because they don't know any better.

2) You don't need it fancy! It might help that my products are for mostly 4th and 5th grade and primary is probably a bit different, but I make my products assuming teachers don't need the cutesy. I make my cover bright and pop-out so that it stands out on TPT, but inside all my pages are b/w and with limited to no images with only a few exceptions. Those include if a map really needs to be in color or if a photo is an active part of the assignment (such as drawing conclusions on a historical moment from the photo).

Bonus Tip:
Find a niche. Do a bit of searching on the site to see what is already available. For example, there are a TON of reader's workshop notebooks and resources. It would be hard to break in there unless you have something really unique. I taught 4th grade and I discovered that there were not many resources for teaching my state's history, which is a 4th or 5th grade subject. Those are the materials and units I focus on. Sure, I have material for other subjects, but so do many other people, so in general I don't post it unless I think it's really unique. But I have a following for my social studies materials b/c not many people post it. Yes, I don't have as many potential buyers b/c it is only 4th/5th grade teachers from my state, but those I do tend to buy everything.

You can check out my previews or freebies to see what I am talking about. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...rrie-Reed-5233
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you guys for taking all that time to send me all this important info.. Can you come over and help me? I'll pay you!! J/K.. I'll look at all you've sent and try again.
Thanks so much!!

LuvMickeyMous

Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've been a seller for almost 3 years. I'm more than happy to help anyone.
Here is my store if anyone wants to look around:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/S...-Garay-Sanchez
LuvMickeyMous is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingAll

Tpt
Old 05-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here's a great blog post about getting started.

http://ericabohrer.blogspot.com/2014...ed-on-tpt.html

Good luck!
TeachingAll is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 05-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you! I'm going to take a look!

Becca4

TpT Store
Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here's my TpT store... The Teacher's Chatterbox

If you got your store started, share please!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Graphics
Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You have gotten some good advice. I hope your store is going well. Definitely make sure you use images (bought or free) that say "for commercial use". Make folders "personal use graphics" and "commercial use graphics". This way you won't question yourself if you can use something or not. I hope your store has really taken off!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

PBnJ

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I know this thread is older...but if there are any "newbies" or even people who are still needing help/tutorials etc. I am happy to help.

I've started some tutorials on my blog as well as a free course that walks you through creating a product. I'm also available via email and my social media accounts to answer questions, offer guidance, or point you to an easy to follow blog post.

http://rhodadesignstudio.com
email is rhodadesignstudio {at} gmail

Rhoda
PBnJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

Tpt
Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am currently writing low-level elementary school books for children learning to read is this something that is able to be sold on TPT?
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote

PBnJ

Old 01-03-2018, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If they are in PDF format then you most definitely could sell them on TPT!
PBnJ is offline   Reply With Quote