Help

Canadian Teachers

Canada

>

GREATHISTORY

Canada
Old 06-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th and 5th grade social studies in the USA. In 5th grade a small part of our curriculum is Canada. We cover geography, Native Americans of North America and Central America, European Explorers and then the beginning of colonial America. I do Canada at the end of the year. I have some things that I got from Teachers pay Teachers that is an overview of the country and about the government. We compare it to the USA and they learned that in fourth and I review it again in 5th. I am looking of a book or resources for more lessons and activities. Any suggestions.

GREATHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote

sos1

Resources
Old 07-26-2018, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Depending on your price point and the content you are looking for, you can get a basic worksheet book like this: https://www.scholarschoice.ca/gr-3-l...ada-ebook.html I've used an earlier version for accessing maps and other summary information.

My three go-tos for Canadian research (online) for kids would be: the Canadian Encyclopedia, Canadian Geographic (a magazine but they do a lot for education) and any of the provincial or federal websites.

The Canadian Encyclopedia has a great website; not only is it an iconic encyclopedia, but underneath the main search bar you can click, for example, "Places", and see some main topics. Articles are kid-friendly. The "Interactive" tab has a searchable timeline and there a few quizzes under the Teacher tab. My students use the C.E.

Canadian Geographic - https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/kids you can get free lessons. (I have ordered their giant floor maps that fill half a gymnasium-- they loan them out anywhere in Canada-- and have been impressed with their resources.)

Government
If you are looking to delve into FNMI (First Nations Metis Inuit) history or culture (we don't use the term natives in Canada), here's a good overview of the history: http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/130.../1307460872523 There are also teaching resources available through the federal government website, all free and downloadable.

Any of the provincial governments will have student info too, depending on what you're looking for. E.g. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources will have information on Ontario's animals. (Unlike the USA, each province in Canada has a 'curriculum' for the whole province that all districts use, and by 'curriculum' I mean a set of learning expectations and goals, not a "how to" or set of lessons. Thus if you see reference to 'curriculum-matched', you don't have to worry that the resource is too narrow.)

Happy learning! Glad to be neighbours.
sos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

possible skype?
Old 08-31-2018, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi-I have skyped with other U.S. teachers in the past answering questions their class had about Canada. They have sent me the questions and then my students research and answer the questions. If you are interested in this at some point during the school year, feel free to email me
bonnie.mcmurtry@rbe.sk.ca
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

GREATHISTORY

Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. I will have to see. They are in the 5th grade and we are catholic school. If we did it would be later in the year. I will let you know.
GREATHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote