Help

The VENT

Piggyback on Back to School Night

>

SoCalTeach

Piggyback on Back to School Night
Old 07-30-2019, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I didn't want to hijack the thread below. Does anyone else's school not think ahead, and make Back to School Night AFTER the start of school... we're talking in mid-September, while the first day of school is mid-August! I have no idea why it's like this year after year. I still send home notices and syllabi the first week of school. It's just backwards, and we hate it!

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Ours used to be later...
Old 07-30-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We start school right after Labor Day, and for many years, BTSN was in October, a month after school started. It was nice in that we had student projects to display, but some parents would try to corner you into impromptu parent conferences, which was not cool. The principal decided to move it way up, so it is in mid-September after a couple of weeks of school. While this was some pressure to get handouts and presentations ready earlier, I have to say it was nice to have it behind us so early.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

We have both
Old 07-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"Meet the teacher" time before school starts, which is just so teachers can meet/greet incoming students and their parents.

We have "Back to School" night about two-three weeks in so that teachers can introduce expectations, curriculum, procedures to parents in a semi-formal presentation.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Open House?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My District does BTSN the Tuesday night before the first day on Thursday. It works out well as it forces everyone to have their rooms ready a day ahead. That Wednesday I work on curriculum and first lessons. We only do Parent/Teacher conferences two times a school year.

Growing up, when we had a parent/family night after school started, it was called "Open House." That was a night for teachers and students to show off the room and post student work, etc. Does your district do this?
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Back to school,night
Old 07-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district had meet the teacher only for kindergarten, and that was the day before school,started.

We used to have BTS night several weeks after school,started. Years ago I petitioned to do it the second or third day back. I was surprised how many people agreed. It was a great way of letting parents know routines and expectations from the very beginning.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Two nights
Old 07-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We used to do 2 nights, one before school started and one shortly after, but people got tired of doing both, so we got rid of the one after school started.

Our Back to School/Meet the Teacher Night is when all families find out their studentsí teacher, they get their paperwork that needs to be returned on the first day of school, and teachers go over classroom info/curriculum/expectations.

Our P tells us not to worry if our rooms arenít ready.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ours is the second week of school (or maybe third... I can't remember right now). I actually kind of like it because it gives the parents a chance to have some real questions and not just stupid stuff that will be answered in the first few days of school. I'm in K and we also have kinder orientation and we go visit each child in their home. It's a bit of overkill IMO.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Two nights
Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There were two nights: MTT-before school starts and Open House-2 weeks after school started. The MTT was only from 4-6 and OH was from 6-8.
It was a lot in the beginning for all teachers. I think it helped some anxious K-parents.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Ours are always after school starts
Old 07-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank goodness ours are after school begins — too much already to get ready for the first day of school.

Ours is in the second week of school, but other schools in our district wait because they have a lot of class shifting every year due to overcrowded classes in their area. Our contract allows for class overages the first 10 days of school and the district doesn’t move anyone during those first 10 days. Think 40-student kindergarten classes for 2 weeks! So those school wait until classes have been settled.

ETA: One of our elementary schools has Back to School Night on the evening of the first day of school! I would hate that.

Last edited by Gogogo; 07-30-2019 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Thought about adding something.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

After school starts
Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ours is two to three weeks after school starts. We are not paid anything extra. It's part of our "as needed" duties.

That way, any class moves can be over (we hope), and any overflow from late enrollments can be placed.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-30-2019, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Back to school nights are always after school starts in my experience. Usually within the first month, though. I never minded it. I preferred that to meeting parents/children before school because I would feel like my room should be picture perfect before I'd had the chance to finish working on it.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We're having what's being announced as "Open House" the day before school starts. The problem is: this is middle school and schedules will be handed out on the first day of school. So kids don't know which teachers they will have. Some check powerschool, but it's not for sure until it's printed, and 6th grade and new students don't know about that. It's crazy.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

WE also have MTT the day before but its only for an hour (2-3) during teacher in service (which we are paid for and is part of our 187 contract days).

Then about 10 days into the year we have BTSN and we actually only have 30 minute to talk-which actually isnt enough. And...even 10 days in...some people still try to make it into a mini conference. geez just make an appointment I will meet with if you want to talk about your child but here and now is a no no.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 07-30-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We used to do it like PrivateEyes. Now we just have one before school starts.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Ours is the 2nd week of school. The only reason I can think of for that is maybe to really give teachers time to prepare presentations and have the rooms looking nice? To me, it's annoying because just one week earlier, the night before students start (they start mid week), there is an "ice cream social" where students and families can come see the school and drop off supplies if they have them. I've never understood why we don't just make those one night. And of course, we are not paid for staying late on those nights. Attendance at the ice cream social is way higher, and especially parents of Kinder students get really annoyed because they want to ask one million questions and the teachers say, "That will all be explained at back to school night."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We have a 30 minute meet the teacher about 3 pm on the day before school starts.

We have open house for an hour at night a month later when kids come through with their parents to show off projects they've done and all the different places they go in the elementary school.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

[QUOTEWE also have MTT the day before but its only for an hour (2-3) during teacher in service (which we are paid for and is part of our 187 contract days).

Then about 10 days into the year we have BTSN and we actually only have 30 minute to talk-which actually isnt enough. And...even 10 days in...some people still try to make it into a mini conference. geez just make an appointment I will meet with if you want to talk about your child but here and now is a no no.][/QUOTE]

That is us, too. They try to call our BTSN curriculum night, but parents really want to know homework, behavior expectations, etc.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote