Help

The VENT

Instead of MORE curriculum based PD...

>

NewCAteacher

Instead of MORE curriculum based PD...
Old 07-31-2019, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How about more social emotional PD? Personally I would LOVE a PD on how to address bullying. In my district, teachers are expected to do yard duty everyday. You can imagine all of the drama that happens. Sometimes I feel that I donít have the right training to address it. Has anyone ever had a PD on bullying? If so, can you give details?

NewCAteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Ours was in-house...
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When the law in my state changed to stricter standards as to what constitutes harassment, intimidation and bullying, we had PDs on it. They were led by the school psychologist, a special ed. teacher and the school social worker. Maybe you could request your principal to create something with those professionals in your building since you see a need.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-31-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Um, we have to take a quiz yearly that covers that. I am sure the district is reassured that they have trained us all to handle bullying.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The social-emotional crap is a waste of time as well. Itís often presented or relayed through those that have never been classroom teachers. They donít understand the practicality if a lot of their ideas.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Hm
Old 07-31-2019, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

UVAgirl I can definitely relate to some of that. When a support staff comes in and tells us that the reason we have a disruptive student is because we “just don’t get them” or “don’t have a relationship,” they can GTFO. Lol. Or telling us how punitive and unreasonable we are for expecting a kid with a disability to follow the rules. As a SPED teacher, I hate that crap.

What I’m looking for is more training on how to address bullying when I’m at yard duty. How to talk to both the victim and the perpetrator. I’d like some training on what language/phrases to use in these situations.

NewCAteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-31-2019, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love how real your posts are everyone! I thoroughly agree on what has been said !
anna is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I would like a PD that...
Old 07-31-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Had ANYTHING to do with children.

Our 7-hour district PD (well, one of several multi-hour district PDs in the past 5 days) had us planning what kind of music we would play at a fictional fundraiser and I can't even with that.

readandweep

Bullying
Old 08-01-2019, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year our district rolled out social emotional learning instruction and progress monitoring for all students.

We even have a dedicated coach to work with us on implementing how to talk to students and the tiers of support. I teach self-contained special ed and was able to do my own thing.

About 90 percent of our PD was all about the SEL standards and teacher accountability. Bleh.

The best PD we had last year was on ACES, but other than the one presentation, we heard nothing else about it.

To answer the OP's question, we have a structure of BIST conversations and phrases to use at our school. I can't remember what BIST stands for. It talks about our language with students and defusing situations.

I am so jaded that I find all of the above was just to get teachers not to write referrals.

Last edited by readandweep; 08-01-2019 at 05:44 AM..
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Weíre trained every year, but there is little to no follow through, and we are to avoid using the word bullying st all costs because it is consists legal term and is supposed to set off a specific change of events.

Instead I handle it in my own. If it is bullying, which sometimes it isnít, I make sure the perpetrator knows that there will be consequences if it continues, and they will be major.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

bullying
Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have to watch a 20 min tutorial and answer 5 questions = trained. I am literally watching one of my tutorial right now with a PT split screen.

angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

BBRocks124

Sanford Harmony
Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We got free kits this year from Sanford Harmony that addresses this... it's best schoolwide, but you can do it for just your classroom and it doesn't take up but like 5 min a day (and I won't use it every single day). I haven't used it yet, just read through the materials and watched some free webinars. It check it out. I believe you can get it free also. Go to their website and see. It looks interesting and addresses all sorts of social emotional things in The classroom!
BBRocks124 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just got our agenda for the week. Training the first day is all site based crap that for the most part we could read (or MANY of us already know it as it isn't stuff that changes). We have an hour in the afternoon to log into a site we will be trained on the next day - although we already logged in last spring when we got the site.

Get this: on Tuesday for 2 1/2 hours we have an undefined activity that says "If you have an apron, wear one." What do you think that is? It doesn't say breakfast supplied....

Two "new" programs with training - so one full day there. No time for our classrooms until Wed. after lunch.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote